Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    Just to add to the above wisdom.

Float is just not float. Meaning; float being the way to keep from sinking in pow going downhill in a straight line is one thing. Float as in being able to manoeuvre skis in repeated turns in pow without stalling, thus losing speed and sinking is another. In the former, waist width might have a bigger contribution, but in the latter, I'd say that rocker profile and flex plays a bigger role.
    This is the kind of answer I was expecting. Idk how so many people got fixated purely on float - I tried to zero in on the idea of "skiing well" in powder. You've answered that question, and I suspect you are correct that rocker profile and flex play a bigger role than pure width in that regard.

Nevertheless, Reformed's post is an interesting history lesson in the development of rockered skis. As a skier, I probably made the same kinds of mistakes that ski builders did - I went too fat too early, when less width and a more rocker would have done the job.

IMO a lot of people mix inputs and outputs.

INPUT: terrain, speed, preferences/feeling
    OUTPUT: the shape and length that you want

Steep open terrain vs tight flatter woods force different skiing styles. The rest of the gear you choose (ie boots, bindings) changes how much energy you put into the ski. What sensation you are looking for comfirms a model to try

As a single data point for me

Inbounds:
    steep generally open terrain, skiing fast on true alpine gear, looking for a super smooth and predictable ride ---> 105-108mm metal laminate skis, that are dead-flat with subtle tip rocker. Great for the deepest wastach days (though I have a bunch of funny shape skis too, b/c why not), and make windboard, chalk and spring snow every bit as fun as soft snow.

Touring:
    Human powered in more technical terrain, making medium radius turns on light AT gear, looking to surf and slash and have fun ---> very light, 124mm wide, super rockered skis to ride as high as possible in the snow, and if it's not good enough snow to tour on 124mm wide skis, I am going to be skiing inbounds anyways

finally, having a fully cambered ski basically ensures that the ski will not surf that well in untracked snow. Does width help? Yes. Can a narrower flat ski do better? Probably. Does camber increase pressure to the ends of the ski on harder snow? Yes. Is this helpful in softer snow? Not really.
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 12-09-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Nailed it. But... two caveats...

If you like to huck, wider skis can help both in and out of bounds. A stiff, wide landjng platform prevents augering in too deep - so ideal width depends how steep the landing is, how big the cliff is and of course snow consistency and depth.

Wider touring skis generate more drag on the uphill, so it can be useful to tour on skinnier skis even if wider skis could be the call based on snow quality.