Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    i was literally just wondering about an update from you but hadnt searched yet. Glad things are looking up.

House looks great. Enjoy retirement.
    Skied w dude today. Fucking ripped it.Thanks for showing me around! Stoked to see you are rebuilding. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Two years ago the Thomas fire began and burned 280,000 acres of Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, the largest fire in California history (at the time, but that record was broken less then a year later by the Mendocino Complex fire.) 1,200 houses were lost including yours truly. My orginal TR of sorts is here. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ome?highlight=

It has now been two years since that "interesting" night when my wife and I left our home of 25 years with the backyard on fire. No point leaving any earlier, right? Well, life has moved on and we are doing well. We are 3/4 into the rebuild. As with any such project we have had untold delays, paper work hassles, idiot inspectors, but also worked with a great architect and builder.

As many of you know 2017 was a challanging year for us. A week after the fire I tried to die in a car crash, my mother passed away, my associate vet went out for prolonged maternity leave (leaving me as the solo vet in the practice), and my mother passed away, to mention just a few of the stresses we had to deal with. Ultimately that led to me selling my veterinary practice and retiring. That process was stressful in and of itself, but at least once it was over I was finally able to deal with everything that happened and am much better for it.

Once again, I want to thank all the mags and maggettes who have wished us well and provided moral support through a tough time. Many stepped up with gear and pro deals to get us back on the snow. Props also to Black Diamond and Patagonia for generous discount codes. It was a bit embarrassing showing up to ski the first time in brand kit and gear from head to toe, u
    including underwear. Talk about feeling like the ultimate gaper!

So, on to a year of rebuilding.

It took a year to make the decision to rebuild, design and get plan approval from the city. We have a great builder who have been clients for over 30 years who hooked us up with a great architect. We were quite happy with the results.
    Attachment 304868

Even though there was a house there for 60 years we still had to over ex 5' of soil under and 5' outside the house footptint.
    Attachment 304869

Of course it turned out to be an epic winter in California. It was great because we got to ski into July at Mammoth, but not so good for construction.

Attachment 304870Attachment 304871

Once things dried out we got started for real. Things moved along at a good clip.
    Attachment 304872
    Attachment 304873
    Attachment 304874
    Attachment 304875

It was nice to get windows to close things up a bit. We are done with rough plumbing, electrical, insulation, heater and ducting, roof, and are waiting for exterior siding and interior drywall.
    Attachment 304876
    Attachment 304877Attachment 304878

We found a couple up in Mendocino to build a custom front door from salvaged old growth redwood (no spotted owls were harmed in the making of this door, at least not in the last 100 years.) One of them makes the door the other does custom stained glass. Still waiting for it to be shipped, but have a few pictures as it is being built, but can't find the door itself. At least here is the glass.
    Attachment 304879

All in all we are well recovered, and just look forward to getting this finished so we can move in and get on with our lives. In the mean time, I hope to see and ski with more of you this season, so cheers for now.
    hutash ( and all ) ...

bump
    to the Top of page2. ...

Incredible journey --

I knew about the Fire,
    Did Not know about your crash,

' Am Sorry to hear about your mother. . .

in my experience,
    " Mom's are different -- " and

there is nothing like a mother's Love ( - whatever form that takes ... ) ...

I Am Glad You have been able to live 'the lifestyle' ( ... I like the way you worded it in another thread : lifestyle you (sought), or something like that... )

mini at Lost Trail ( south of Missoula with Big Lost on ) March 20 and March 21, If your interested. ...

Live ON !
    I believe there is More ahead for a Man like You , and

I will be Glad
    When you are in your new house ! ... ! !!!

Thanks for the update !

FknA ! tj

"Can't you see..."

Hutash, we are rebuilding after a fire as well. Glad to hear you’re rebuilding...it’s a healing process. Not many know the pain of losing a home to a fire but we are out there, we know, and we stand with you.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Hope all.is going well. Insurance can be a challange, but sometimes we have become quite familiar with, so if you have any questions or issues let me know. Been there, done that.

No doubt you have heard all the usual things people.say to fire victims, but I will add one more. We both lost a lot of important items that are irreplaceable, many of which are linked to important memories. While those items are gone, those memories are not and never will be.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Congrats on the rebuild. It's wild to see a CMU foundation. Enjoy your new home.

I think it is the only one in the whole region. I saw one other raised foundation of poured concrete. Everything else is slab.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It's wild to see a CMU foundation.
    Considering CA seismic codes, yep.

I'm also quite glad to hear things are looking up for the hutash clan.

Very nice, has that Green and Green feel to it.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

So rad hutash. Love the design. Greene and Greene would be stoked.

Ski season starting off well this year too!

Edit: Hah. Had this tab open and hadn't refreshed before posting. Agreed. ^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Very happy to see that things are looking up for you. Its possible in a few years from now when you’re enjoying the new home you might think it wasn’t all bad. I’m sure I don’t understand what it’s like to go through a house fire but I suspect it will provide a strong perspective about life. Wishing you well.

glad to hear you are almost back home. what a hell of a couple yrs
    Retirement= more time to visit us in JH etc?
    also having a new home built seems sorta like a full time job in and of itself

Is your wife still practicing?
    skid luxury

It is really hard not to try and build a Greene Greene style house. There are so many great examples to use as inspiration, but since we are not in the Gamble family income bracket we have tone it down. Still, no reason not to take some of thier ideas and play with them in a more modest form.

The best part of this whole process has been choosing the furniture. Talk about a rabbit hole. I promise a TR of the interior when we get to that point for those of you who are interested. If you like the outside, wait until you see the inside. Assuming funds don't run out.

B bear, looking forward to another Jackson trip this winter. If for no other reason then to get back to the National Museum of Wildlife. That place already cost me a few hundred in art. Last time we were in town they had my absolutely favorite Robert Bateman painting on display. I got a signed canvas print to go in the house, once we have a house.

As always, we are happy to host any mags or maggettes passing though Ventura. As my daughter says, you have to sleep in an art museum. As the old adage says, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Well, we have been making bucket loads of lemonade. We lost a shit ton of art, but have been slowly replacing it, and just picked up a piece done by a local artist who also lost her home in the fire. I will try and post a picture of it. It means so much to my wife and I, connects to the artist, and the whole community, which is what art is all about.

iscariot

My wife's friend had their wedding reception at the national museum of wildlife art. Being able to walk pretty much by ourselves through everything with cocktails was amazing. Not sure it was kosher but I took like 300 pics since I can't afford any of it.

Great to hear the rebuilding process is going smooth. Was at a friends house when it burned down. Thank God everyone and the dogs got out and they had quite a few valuables in a safe. Watching them go through the insurance process while living out of a hotel seemed less then ideal.

The museum is my favorite of all time. Sure, the Louvre, Tate, Getty are are nice, but my wife and I are biologists at heart, so wildlife art is our first love. It is an amazing collection, and the best part about it is that similar pieces are approachable for us mere mortals. As I said, last time we were there there was the original Bateman that I have lust for since he did it in the 80s. A sign canvas print was very affordable. Sure, it was not the original, but a damn fine print. Being on canvas you really ha e to look close to know it is not original.

There was also a Mangleson exhibit, and his work, even at the museum level is approachable. In fact as we walked by the gallery in town we saw four of the photos we lusted for, and purchased two of them. We also got a signed copy of one of his books with a note wishing us luck after the fire. Pretty damn cool if you ask me.

If you like wildlife art, look into hand color engravings and lithographs. Some amazing art and reasonable prices. We lost many 1800's prints from Audubon and John Gould prints which were absolutely beautiful and art, but at affordable prices.

iscariot

That's going to be a kick ass house when it's finished. Glad to hear you are doing well!

Glad to hear life is moving forward in a positive direction! All the best in building your home and filling it with new memories.

Wow! What a journey. Somehow I missed the original post when you lost your house. Horrible. Congrats on moving forward. Your new house looks wonderful.

Two Years Ago Today... A Thomas Fire TR update

Stoked to read this and see the progress...
    Same with Tap, both of you guys are a testament to the resilience of the human spirit and will.

Hutash, I think I remember hearing about your mom, I'm sorry for your loss. I will be going through a similar situation in the very near future.

Wow, what ordeal. I knew about the house of course, but your Mom and the car crash are news to me, sorry to hear about both. More info on the car crash would be appreciated if you feel like writing it. And enjoy your retirement, I think you earned it!

The house looks great. Given the circumstances I wonder about fires in the future and what you are doing as far as materials, construction methods and landscaping to try to avoid problems in the future, if you feel like sharing please do.

I suppose somebody else around there already named their place "Phoenix House" but if not you might consider it. Certainly it's apt, if maybe kinda tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    More info on the car crash would be appreciated if you feel like writing it.
    The thread is here.

Fkna Hutash!

Make it good.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Can anyone explain the 5’ excavation requirement? Why do you have to do that to rebuild?
    Did this ever get explained? I too am interested.

I would love an explanation myself. It was a very costly hole to dig and then fill up. I just assumed somebody at the city was once a fuck-up army private who spent time digging and filling holes.

I suspect the real reason is the original soils engineers back in the 50s did such a shitty job, that the city wants everybody to over-ex justs as a CYA. Some really bad soils work was done back in the day. Three houses slide in the El Nino of '69, and several have had to do $100K of soil and foundation engineering over the years. We chose our house carefully when we bought it 25+ years ago to make sure it was all built on cut. Still, the city made us over-ex.

I just got a picture of the completed front door. It's too pretty to put half of it outside
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 9.26.36 AM.png
Views: 510
Size:  822.7 KB

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Damn, I forgot all about that thread. It made me laugh again, but this time it wasn't painful.

iscariot