IT Mags - updating SQL database MDF file

I know a couple of you know how to do this. I have a SQL database that needs to be updated/upgraded from sql 2008 to 2017. I imagine it is a very simple procedure, but I'm not familiar with it and my IT department is mostly non-responsive until you tell them exactly what you need and how to do it.

From what I've found so far, it seems like you just need to open and close it from the SQL server manager. Is that it?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

really big picture - back the database up and restore on new sql server

it will be running at the 2008 compatibility level. this is probably what you want if you have applications running on it that aren't upgraded to run on the SQL version of the new server

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    really big picture - back the database up and restore on new sql server

it will be running at the 2008 compatibility level. this is probably what you want if you have applications running on it that aren't upgraded to run on the SQL version of the new server
    It's the other way around. We upgraded our application and it required us to upgrade from SQL 2008 to run the new software.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Fuck IT departments. This exact issue is why we're moving more and more to SAS. Can't get those guys to do shit. And when they do they fuck it up. I'm two years behind on a major enterprise wide application because they can't seem to upgrade the SQL.

Start moving all your stuff to the cloud and have the real pros take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    It's the other way around. We upgraded our application and it required us to upgrade from SQL 2008 to run the new software.
    Ok - then run a sql script on the database to set the compatibility to the correct level

Put in a support ticket with the vendor and ask for the upgrade documentation

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

you really should do all this in test first...

+1 to having a back up (or two) before attempting that kind of upgrade.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Move to AWS while you’re at it and can the IT staff if they can’t figure out dba basics.

It's in test and we're playing with backups. We're dumb, not stupid.

Living on the edge!

DJ, what about new SQL licenses? Included with the app software or purchased separately?

Does performance matter for this app? How large is the db and how many users? Physical server or Vm? What kind of disks? Sql on the same sever as the app? (Not good)

Make sure at least to set min/max memory on SQL do you don't overallocate on your server. Leave at least 4gb free for the opsys.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Name:  8d0ccac18247b6a14d83309f49c08d05e2dd52ffb744a635366e4a726be3593f.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  61.1 KB

The IT gang got it done last night. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Name:  8d0ccac18247b6a14d83309f49c08d05e2dd52ffb744a635366e4a726be3593f.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  61.1 KB
    This.