Another shoulder labrum tear...

Tore my labrum 2+ years ago. Ignored it, never went to doctor. Finally got MRI confirming my suspicion but now there is a cyst (biggest the doc has ever seen) sitting on top of my suprascapular nerve threatening to compress it and kill the downstream rotator cuff muscles. Official diagnosis SLAP tear with large para labral cyst in the spinoglenoid notch. Going under the knife Friday for a labrum repair and cyst removal. Overall joint looks OK, moderate arthritis but nothing huge and never been dislocated. They are hoping for only 1 week in a sling-- seems fast but whatever.

Anyone have a similar story and good surgical outcome? The other labrum thread here is a lot about dislocations so not as relevant for me...

1 week in a sling seems fast, but you can start PT right away. You're going to need it.
    Can be hard to get shoulders back to 100%.
    Can't comment on the cyst thing, but if you're doing arthroscopic surgery, initial recovery should be quick.
    You likely won't be skiing this winter
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

1 week in a sling seems fast, but you can start PT right away. You're going to need it.
    Can be hard to get shoulders back to 100%.
    Can't comment on the cyst thing, but if you're doing arthroscopic surgery, initial recovery should be quick.
    You likely won't be skiing this winter
    Yeah 1 week sounds kinda bananas. Yeah skiing is out, but, well, I moved to Pittsburgh, soooooooooooo, that kinda sucks here anyway haha.

That seems like a move in the wrong direction.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

That seems like a move in the wrong direction.
    People do crazy things for family!

I had surgery for supraspinatus (sp?) repair, a sub-acromial growth the size of a Hershey’s Kiss, and a grade 2 SLAP tear. IIRC Docs wanted me moving the joint gently after a week to keep adhesions from forming.

I was six months in rehab before I was released to ride MTB. It wasn’t fun but I came out the other side without loss of strength or range.

When Doc told me mid-Dec I would need surgery, he said he couldn't schedule me for a month. So I told him I was gonna get in enough ski days to at least amortize my season pass down to day-pass rates.
    He said “Don’t do that”
    Me “Why?”
    “Because if you crash you could tear it up beyond repair”
    “So you’re saying I shouldn’t crash, not that I shouldn’t ski, right? Because I can ski without crashing”

I got in 10 mellow days that season...