FS (feeler): BNIB BD Helio 200 Bindings (this year's model)

[edit] Update ... I don't want to a tease, so I added this update. I'm keeping these binders. I must have been nuts to consider parting with them.

original post follows ...

So I'm staring at these binders and wondering if I'm crazy to mount them on my Praxis GPOs. A 200g binding (including the adjustment plate) is very tempting, however.

If I decide to sell them, I'd want $495 net to me (price police me if you think I'm off). Preference given to established mags, locals, and people who actually answer their PMs.

I'll do a reality check in the next 48 hours and get some photos up if I decide to sell them.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-10-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Not crazy, do it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Yeah I feel myself caving.

Maybe I'll mount them to a couple of 2x4s, click in and gain some confidence looking down at them. I'd need to do a test mount to verify the template anyhow.

They look tiny, even in comparison with Dynafit Superlites.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I rally my gpos with mtns, jealous of helio...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I'd keep them if I were you, seriously. They ski considerably better than Superlites at a comparable weight. I just mounted mine again, and I also have a pair of ATK Raiders which I love as well (basically Helio 200's with a brake and an extra heel riser). I think they're my favorite binding of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I'd keep them if I were you, seriously. They ski considerably better than Superlites at a comparable weight. I just mounted mine again, and I also have a pair of ATK Raiders which I love as well (basically Helio 200's with a brake and an extra heel riser). I think they're my favorite binding of all time.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I was debating whether I should have gone with the new version of the Raiders (the R12s) or these.
    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I rally my gpos with mtns, jealous of helio...
    Man! If my gimpy left knee could deal with the men's spring (I dial down the left lateral release setting on my skis), I'd be all over the MTNs as well. It was looking at how burly the MTNs appear in comparison with the Helios that had me wondering if I was nuts to go with the Helios.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-03-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Galibier Design

Ive got a pair of haute route 2.0s (last hears haute routes basically the same as the helio 200s) and they are the bomb. Something about their toe click in is so confidence inspiring, and the adjustable lateral vertical heel is awesome for the weight.

another vote for keep.

I would have gone 110s or 145s. No reason to have extra weight unless you jump up to the Vipec. But I guess you’re worried about your knee, and want a low lateral release, so I guess stick with the 200s?

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. I was debating whether I should have gone with the new version of the Raiders (the R12s) or these.

Man! If my gimpy left knee could deal with the men's spring (I dial down the left lateral release setting on my skis), I'd be all over the MTNs as well. It was looking at how burly the MTNs appear in comparison with the Helios that had me wondering if I was nuts to go with the Helios.

... Thom
    Ive got both mtns and helios and the mtns feel maybe only marginally more burly tbh. Helios feel more precise, and maybe slightly weaker - they have never done anything weird to me. Granted they are on some 78 waisted spring volcano skis but I have been generally impressed.

So, after handling them a bit, I'm getting more confidence. All metal ... what's not to like?

My only area of uncertainty is an ergonomic one. I've gotten so spoiled with using my ski pole to change riser positions (Dynafits, Plums, Vipecs, etc.) that I'm wondering if I'm coordinated enough to reach down with a pack on to rotate the heel by hand to get the flat and "high" riser positions.

Yeah, the flap over pins riser is the one I'd use 80-90% of the time, so there's that.

[edit] I think I get it. The flippers are in effect medium height risers with slightly different heights (pin covered skimo mode vs. rotated 180 degrees).

So, just rotate them when putting your skins on and have flat and medium riser access.

I rarely use high risers, but it's worth lining them up side by side with my Vipecs & Plum Guides to see how much high riser I'm giving up. There are those times when the skin track (not of my choosing) dictates a high riser.

I'm getting close to taking a drill To my skis.

To be continued ...

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-06-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Galibier Design

At this point, this conversation is probably best for the "under 300g" thread in Tech Talk, but since I started here ...

I'm good with these Helios. They'll go on the GPOs.

My epiphany came when I was checking out a pair of my wife's skis with Vertical STs, and I said "Day-um! I used to ski on these?"

The Helios are so much burlier in comparison. It's not even close.

Sorry to be a tease with this bump. I updated the first post to quell any unnecessary enthusiasm for these binders.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-11-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Galibier Design