Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Love my mammut nirvana. Comes in 25,30,35L. Back access panel is wonderful for touring, photography etc. my go to 4 season pack. Diagonal and A-frame carry. Light duty suspension frame and comes in various sizes(try packs on first!).

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Can anyone comment on the Patagonia Descensionist? I’m looking hard at the 40l version. Mostly same criteria, plus some minir ski mountaineering stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I used / use it off an on. I mostly use it for riding my bike to the grocery store now. In my experience it straddled an awkward line between a more full-featured pack, and something minimal and more custom like an HMG pack or something. As has been noted, the material they use is not super durable, and there aren't as many organization options as I'd like. And I personally found that it did not play nice with my body. It carried really poorly on my back fully loaded. YMMV but I find it's great for getting kale and fruitloops home from the grocery store, but I have no desire to haul it into the backcountry again.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I used / use it off an on. I mostly use it for riding my bike to the grocery store now. In my experience it straddled an awkward line between a more full-featured pack, and something minimal and more custom like an HMG pack or something. As has been noted, the material they use is not super durable, and there aren't as many organization options as I'd like. And I personally found that it did not play nice with my body. It carried really poorly on my back fully loaded. YMMV but I find it's great for getting kale and fruitloops home from the grocery store, but I have no desire to haul it into the backcountry again.
    Hmmmm
    Thanks for the beta; I have one coming to check out, but I’m strongly considering sending it back and putting in an order for an alpine threadworks selkirk. Theres a substantial wait, but sounds like a stout, super functional pack.

Gravity always wins...

Yeah, I'm with Cy on the Descentionist. Weird fit/structure to the pack that meant I could never get it to feel like it was supporting a load well, at all. Sold mine pretty promptly.

I skied with Neil Warren the main man ( the only man) at Alpine threadworks last feb, 3 of his longtime clients were also there and they all had one of his packs, the packs were custom made with certain features they were monagramed with their initials, in retro spect I should have tried one of his packs on ... it was a good group & a fun trip
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    Arcteryx Khamski should be considered, simple, light, bomber and efficient. Love mine.
    Except they don't make them any more for some reason. Seriously one of the best packs i've had my hands on.
    edit: Just checked for the third time and maybe they made a comeback!
    https://www.arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/khamski-38-backpack

My favorite 4 season pack has been a Mammut Trion Pro 50, the 35L version would fit what you're looking for. I haven't had my hands on the updated version of that pack but the version I had fit a helmet net on top of the lid so I could carry skis/splitboard in just about any configuration I wanted. It has a good tool pocket and I greatly prefer back panel access for a ski pack.

After I wore that pack out I replaced it with a Mystery Ranch Patrol 45 but as was said above it's missing a few key features for me. It doesn't have a clean way to carry ice axes but they can be carried behind the flap. It doesn't have a good way to carry a helmet so I end up dangling it like a prospector. That said, the MR Patrol carries a heavy load better than any other pack I've worn.

Before the Mammut I had a Cilo 45l tube. I really like their tube concept and strap configuration but the suspension didn't work for me. I had bruises on my shoulders any time I went over 25lbs.

I just picked up a Mammut 45l airbag pack which looks to be based on the same design as the Nirvana and have had two tours with it this season. so far I'm happy but it's going to be too big for most of my day tours so I also have a Dakine Poacher 36 showing up today, will report back after I get a chance to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Cy on the Descentionist. Weird fit/structure to the pack that meant I could never get it to feel like it was supporting a load well, at all. Sold mine pretty promptly.
    I think the main reason I like my Descentionist is that it carries so well. I have a 35L Mammut avalanche pack, that according to most people, carries really well and I could never get it to comfortably fit me. I guess even backpack fit is pretty subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Hmmmm
    Thanks for the beta; I have one coming to check out, but I’m strongly considering sending it back and putting in an order for an alpine threadworks selkirk. Theres a substantial wait, but sounds like a stout, super functional pack.

Neil's a buddy. I really like the look of the last pack he posted and he gives a good description down lower on what he's able to do (basically you can order any combination of pack and features):
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5nqdWvFsMw/

CAMP Raptor looks pretty solid. It'd probably be my pick if I could find one on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    CAMP Raptor looks pretty solid. It'd probably be my pick if I could find one on sale.
    Fwiw, those bungee cord ski carry systems carry like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Fwiw, those bungee cord ski carry systems carry like shit.
    Depends on the pack IMO. I had good luck with the one on my Salomon X-Alp, but I did have it rigged a little differently than stock. I generally prefer an OK bungee system near the shoulder strap over the common design where the top strap is on the face of the pack and hangs the weight further away from the body.

The Camp has the "crampon garage" which I liked on the Salomon. I don't like it $200 though, so I'll probably end up with the Spindrift and try out the big wraparound pockets.

Just got the Ortovox Haute Route 32 in the mail. Terrible design. The only way to access the main compartment is through the back zipper. While I want the function of back panel access in a pack, I don't want it to be the only way. Also, with the hard foam back panel, the way the shoulder straps are, and the flimsy zipper, it makes it very cumbersome to unzip.

Seems like it would be an awesome pack otherwise, but that was a huge deal killer for me. Going back.

Just got the Ortovox Haute Route 32 in the mail. Terrible design. The only way to access the main compartment is through the back zipper. While I want the function of back panel access in a pack, I don't want it to be the only way. Also, with the hard foam back panel, the way the shoulder straps are, and the flimsy zipper, it makes it very cumbersome to unzip.

Seems like it would be an awesome pack otherwise, but that was a huge deal killer for me. Going back.
    Don't get the Dakine Poacher then, it's the same way.

Have you used a pack with backpanel access before? I almost never opened the top zipper on my Mammut that had both options. Backpanel nearly exclusively, so lack of top access on the Poacher doesn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Don't get the Dakine Poacher then, it's the same way.

Have you used a pack with backpanel access before? I almost never opened the top zipper on my Mammut that had both options. Backpanel nearly exclusively, so lack of top access on the Poacher doesn't bother me at all.
    It was just the way the back panel access was situated with the foam panel and the shoulder straps. Add on the flimsy zipper and it was a pain to unzip and rezip since it would catch. Would have been cursing everytime I had to get in.

Just picked up the Gregory Targee instead, which I think is the same way but a way better design. That was my original choice and should've just gone with it.

Targhee is great, you’ll love it.

It was just the way the back panel access was situated with the foam panel and the shoulder straps. Add on the flimsy zipper and it was a pain to unzip and rezip since it would catch. Would have been cursing everytime I had to get in.

Just picked up the Gregory Targee instead, which I think is the same way but a way better design. That was my original choice and should've just gone with it.
    Maybe try the Kamber series from Osprey? the 42 is big but has a detachable top which shrinks it significantly. Dual ice axe too which the Kode didnt have.

After reading thru this thread I ordered a Kamber 42 to just check out. I like it. A lot. If anyone is interested in a Kode 32 I’ll be posting one cheap in gear swap tonight.

Definitely worth checking out the Kamber

I have a Kamber 42 and really like it. It is a large pack, but it carries really well with up to about 50-55 pounds in/on it. It's on the heavy side as it seems overbuilt in some ways, but it's comfortable to have on all day. I don't think I've ever used the diagonal carry, but the A-frame carry works well.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I used one lots of last season. Best designed pack I've ever used. Ski carry is solid in both race and A-frame carry. Lots of nice features (separate pockets, hip pockets, spacious, good fit). Weighs much less than the Osprey stuff.

Not sure about durability though. A few nicks from ski edges are in the material now (from A-frame carry). Might need some reinforcing/repair in the future, but overall been really happy with this pack (I also liked the Dynafit Broad Peak 28, Salomon X-Alp 20).

Is Cilogear still around? They're worth a look. Its got every option possible I would think. I prefer strapping everything down and not relying on prefabricated slots meant specifically for poles or whatnot. Whatever works for you. They're all pretty good. Just depends how you want your gear to carry. I do probe, poles, shovel handle, shovel head, and hatchet strapped to the exterior. I prefer this and use the interior for cookware, extra layer, small tools. I still have room to strap down A frame, and there's a lid I removed that's got more space in there.

I can see why some don't like it, but it's perfect for a certain kind of person.

Junping in late. I’ve got the newest sexiest osprey bag that’s air compatible. Kamber ABS 22+10

Anyway I don’t want it

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    I used one lots of last season. Best designed pack I've ever used. Ski carry is solid in both race and A-frame carry. Lots of nice features (separate pockets, hip pockets, spacious, good fit). Weighs much less than the Osprey stuff.

Not sure about durability though. A few nicks from ski edges are in the material now (from A-frame carry). Might need some reinforcing/repair in the future, but overall been really happy with this pack (I also liked the Dynafit Broad Peak 28, Salomon X-Alp 20).
    Thanks for chiming in. Helpful comments.

So was there a winner?

I think it was the CiloXalpPoacherTargeeKamber 35