Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Dakine Poacher Vest is best I've used in this category. Very comfortable, and as an added bonus feels a bit like a suit of armor. Lower profile than any pack and avy bag compatible if that's your style.
    The problem with vests is that they're not good for on/off and they're warm. So not good if you take off layers for getting to the sidecountry. Depends how your zone logistics go. If it's a short over the shoulder thing, or a long hike or skin, then it's no big deal. It's the in betweeners (15-45 minutes) where the vest doesn't do as well.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 02-21-2020 at 05:34 AM.

Haven't read through this thread but i thought i would just chime in with the fact that i recently warrantied my Osprey 42 L Kamber pack. Extremely positive experience overall and Osprey's claim to 'repair (or replace) any damage or defect for any reason free of charge' is indeed legit.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Dakine Poacher Vest is best I've used in this category. Very comfortable, and as an added bonus feels a bit like a suit of armor. Lower profile than any pack and avy bag compatible if that's your style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The problem with vests is that they're not good for on/off and they're warm. So not good if you take off layers for getting to the sidecountry. Depends how your zone logistics go. If it's a short over the shoulder thing, or a long hike or skin, then it's no big deal.
    Agree with both. I love my Dakine vest for sidecountry, but if I were someplace where I needed/wanted to put skis on my pack for a long hike, in which case I might also be interested in removing a layer, I would definitely want something else. The other issue is that if you definitely need to remove your pack to sit on a lift, a vest is not a great option.

To North's point on the suit-of-armor feeling: Dakine will sell you a back protector that fits in the vest, which is definitely worth it if the idea of a shovel blade poking into your back makes you queasy.
    Last edited by Toddball; 02-20-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Big fan of the Dakine vest as well. I don't think its the best option for ski carry however. The way the pack portion tapers towards the bottom pushes your tails into your legs which is super annoying if you are walking for any length of time. Could be user error on my part but there's my 2-cents.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledbacon View Post
    No seperation. Just the main compartment and lid/brain one.

My only ski pack and have only done resort days but found it perfect.
    +1 on this. Really dig the structure on this pack and once you get the straps dialed you forget it's there.

For a backcountry bag, you'd probably want something a little bigger/with an avy pocket though.

Bump because I’ve been testing a North Face Snowmad 34 and although I was skeptical during initial inspection, I really like it.

The outer ‘stash’ pocket is great for skins, and the helmet carry is simple and effective. Ski carry works well and is easy to deploy. I don’t use a water bladder, but for those who do, the pack has a nice system for that on the inside of the back panel.

Downsides: a little portly, but the material is definitely more substantial than lighter weight options. Hard to utilize full volume of top goggle/miscellaneous items pocket because of weird tension spots on zipper.

Overall a really excellent all around-er. I’ll be psyched if they let me keep it.

I dunno if anyone has mentioned the Thule ski packs but they're the bees knees. Firmer structure that keeps the pack feeling the same no matter if it's stuffed to the gills or relatively empty, esp when carrying skis or board on it. Also the huge hip pockets are the selling point, can fit a day's worth of snacks in one and a full camera in the other. Im obsessed with mine.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    I dunno if anyone has mentioned the Thule ski packs but they're the bees knees. Firmer structure that keeps the pack feeling the same no matter if it's stuffed to the gills or relatively empty, esp when carrying skis or board on it. Also the huge hip pockets are the selling point, can fit a day's worth of snacks in one and a full camera in the other. Im obsessed with mine.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Looks like a really cool pack, has everything (looking at the 35) but no A-frame is kind of a bummer for me. I suppose no pack can be perfect haha

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I need a new pack for day tours. Don't need an airbag. Pack will be used for single day tours, and also some lift accessed side country (that often requires putting skis on the pack).

Criteria:

-30-35 Liters
    went through similar search recently. I need to have a solid snowboard carrier though, i am not a skier.
    I wanted to buy the Mammut Nirvana, but the new version is much worse than the classic Nirvana Pro, so after doing back and forth with their customer service i had to forego Mammut.
    I looked at Osprey Kamber, but i didnt like the back access only + the fact that you have to unbuckle in order to open the zip.
    At the end i bought the Jones DSCNT 32, which has everything. The only thing i miss from Mammut: the side straps are better, since they have an additional buckle that allows to tighten the side strap and lock it. A pic is better than my words:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Another vote for the Thule Upslope packs. Agree with everything that's been said and I'll also add that I had to warranty my last pack because a buckle broke and they sent me a whole new pack on top of a replacement. Diagonal carry is my preference anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    went through similar search recently. I need to have a solid snowboard carrier though, i am not a skier.
    I wanted to buy the Mammut Nirvana, but the new version is much worse than the classic Nirvana Pro, so after doing back and forth with their customer service i had to forego Mammut.
    I looked at Osprey Kamber, but i didnt like the back access only + the fact that you have to unbuckle in order to open the zip.
    At the end i bought the Jones DSCNT 32, which has everything. The only thing i miss from Mammut: the side straps are better, since they have an additional buckle that allows to tighten the side strap and lock it. A pic is better than my words:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
    forgot to add. Another reason for ditching the Osprey Kamber was the fact that side strap is connected to the snowboard central strap, so when you open the side strap the snowboard strap becomes loose. Nonsense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Haven't read through this thread but i thought i would just chime in with the fact that i recently warrantied my Osprey 42 L Kamber pack. Extremely positive experience overall and Osprey's claim to 'repair (or replace) any damage or defect for any reason free of charge' is indeed legit.
    After reading this thread I ended up buying an Osprey Kamber 42. They have them on their site right now for only $69. Im pretty abusive on my gear so their warranty and gurantee is what really made the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    Another vote for the Thule Upslope packs. Agree with everything that's been said and I'll also add that I had to warranty my last pack because a buckle broke and they sent me a whole new pack on top of a replacement. Diagonal carry is my preference anyways.
    Definitely something to think about.
    I recently took a BD pack into BD warranty so I could replace some of the chinsey ass POS buckles they use. 4 broken, didn't want new pack, just pack back to regular function. They told me REI has a good selection of replacement buckles! Douches.
    Hated that POS pack anyway and had already replaced w/ Mystery Ranch Patrol, but FFS Black Diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Definitely something to think about.
    I recently took a BD pack into BD warranty so I could replace some of the chinsey ass POS buckles they use. 4 broken, didn't want new pack, just pack back to regular function. They told me REI has a good selection of replacement buckles! Douches.
    Hated that POS pack anyway and had already replaced w/ Mystery Ranch Patrol, but FFS Black Diamond.
    wow, that's crappy. you bring it into the slc location, or was this online / over the phone? they've usually been really good to me about that kinda thing, just surprising

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    wow, that's crappy. you bring it into the slc location, or was this online / over the phone? they've usually been really good to me about that kinda thing, just surprising
    Yep. Directly into store. Thing that sucks is I had the previous model Covert that I really liked, that needed warranty for a stuck zipper. They warranted that one on the spot. Didn't take too long to figure out BD went for cheap parts for these packs. And no, I am not a serial warranty return man. Only 2 things I've had to warranty ski related.
    Buckles on their boots sucked ass too!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yep. Directly into store. Thing that sucks is I had the previous model Covert that I really liked, that needed warranty for a stuck zipper. They warranted that one on the spot. Didn't take too long to figure out BD went for cheap parts for these packs. And no, I am not a serial warranty return man. Only 2 things I've had to warranty ski related.
    Buckles on their boots sucked ass too!
    BD wouldnt warranty a gloves that started tearing after only trying them on then when I tried to warranty a zipper issue on a pack they said it was due to misuse and couldnt be fixed. Had several friends who have also had warranty issues with them. Sucks because I love their products but the amount I abuse my gear makes it hard to keep giving them my money.

Bumping again.

Anyone have any experience with the Ortovox Peak 35 or 45?

Looks like they're a good bigger day pack when my 35L Avy bag isn't needed/wanted due to weight.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Ortovox. 32. Haute Route

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Bumping again.

Anyone have any experience with the Ortovox Peak 35 or 45?

Looks like they're a good bigger day pack when my 35L Avy bag isn't needed/wanted due to weight.
    Yes. I chose haute route 32 orange for day trips and peak for more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

still quite pleased with my dawn patrol 32 from BD. basically ticks all my boxes, kinda wish it had the full rando ski carry but I’m too lazy to jerry rig it. nice pack tho.

My 35 liter BD Alias pack (with the rotating hip belt) carries and skis very well and is holding up nicely after 7 seasons....I recently got the dawn patrol 25, a couple of Covid tours with it, and it has just the right amt of geek features to be my general purpose pack esp in spring with whippet, ski and boot crampons, etc. I prefer A Frame carry of my 188s. Haven’t yet tried the diagonal carry option on it. It was on sale, natch.

I do like the tall and wide skin / shovel pouch. One of the few that is long enough that my folded-in-half skins with tail hooks fit.

^ the pack’s built in diagonal carry is very weird / sucks, I just girth hitched a spare rando ski carry from another pack on the “avalung” branded bit of webbing at the wearer’s lower left of that pack, this works fine with the built in upper right plastic buckle for diagonal carry. it’s not clear to me how the pack designers envisioned the built in diagonal carry working. I’ll take a pic at some point, especially if I can find a decent attachment for a rando shoulder hook, which would make the pack perfect.

I have to say that I like most things about the Patagonia Descensionist 32L, but it is not turning out to be very durable. I've got 1.5 seasons on it and it's got quite a few holes.

Patagucci is still good when it comes to repairs at least
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Bumping this because Im looking to get a larger pack + a helmet carry option from my MHM Powder Keg 32. I love this pack. Super versatile, simple design, and durable, but it doesn't have a helmet carry option and I could use a 35L.

Any recommendations out there that fit my criteria?