Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Duke PT hole pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    From 2010-2014? The TLT6M in the background dates that photo as winter 2013-2014 at the earliest. I seem to remember him showing up at Sölden in 2014 with the Markers and people freaked out.
    Sorry, by saying “all his GS skis” I didn’t mean since his beginning with Atomic. I meant once he started mounting Markers on his Atomic GS skis, he only skied Markers in GS.
    So yes, we are saying the same thing. 2014 was the earliest I saw him on Markers, and all the way though to his retirement in 2019.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 08-09-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Sorry, by saying “all his GS skis” I didn’t mean since his beginning with Atomic. I meant once he started mounting Markers on his Atomic GS skis, he only skied Markers in GS.
    So yes, we are saying the same thing. 2014 was the earliest I saw him on Markers, and all the way though to his retirement in 2019.
    Got it. We're both right, and I've even got Markers on my GS skis. Wonder what Marcel is touring on these days, Alpinist or Backland Tour?

Hmmm. Quick look at his Insta and all I see is Shifts!

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    FWIW that is also the same toe mount pattern as a kingpin. Probably pretty close to same mount location, I’d think.

I only know this as a used pair of kp’s sheared off on me and am playing binding tetris this summer. Personally, the idea of replacing kps with another marker binding with even more plastic is hardly appealing
    Yep, the L45mm x L38mm Duke PT toe pattern is the same as the Kingpins but the toe on the Kingpin is a lot further back on the ski for the same boot sole length - but it's so far back that the rear PT toe locations can reuse the front toe Kingpin locations and for the same bsl you'll be mounted at +4mm.

The Kingpin heel pattern is L77mm x W36mm compared to the PT/Jester L80mm x W32mm heel and for the same bsl the PT heel locations will clash with that of the Kingpin but there's so much heel length adjustment on the PT that it's a doddle to offset the PT heel and then move the upper heel back in to the correct position on its track.

PT versus Shift: The PT toe locations are well away from that of the Shift. For the same bsl the PT heel will clash with Shift heel mounts but again there's so much heel length adjustment on the PT to allow the PT heel to be offset and then move the upper heel back in to the correct position on its track.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yep, the L45mm x L38mm Duke PT toe pattern is the same as the Kingpins but the toe on the Kingpin is a lot further back on the ski for the same boot sole length - but it's so far back that the rear PT toe locations can reuse the front toe Kingpin locations and for the same bsl you'll be mounted at +4mm.

The Kingpin heel pattern is L77mm x W36mm compared to the PT/Jester L80mm x W32mm heel and for the same bsl the PT heel locations will clash with that of the Kingpin but there's so much heel length adjustment on the PT that it's a doddle to offset the PT heel and then move the upper heel back in to the correct position on its track.
    Spyderjon, could you do a Duke PT vs. Kingpin comparison with the same boot in the jigs? (and measure the distance between toe holes just in case someone needs to improvise a mount with the Kingpin jig).

Thanks!

Here's a better pic shown the PT, Griffon/Jester, Kingpin & Shift locations. Same bsl and mounting line although when mounting the PT over an existing Kingpin mount and sharing the two toe holes will mean that the PT will be mounted 4mm back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PT mount 1.2mb.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	564.3 KB 
ID:	337400

Click on the pic for better resolution etc.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 08-17-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Here's a better pic shown the PT, Griffon/Jester, Kingpin & Shift locations. Same bsl and mounting line although when mounting the PT over an existing Kingpin mount and sharing the two toe holes will mean that the PT will be mounted 4mm back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PT mount 1.2mb.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	564.3 KB 
ID:	337400
    You are the man, Jon!

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Bump:

Spyderjon, if I’m reading this right, I can use a kingpin jig to mount the PT if I bump the toe forward 42mm after drilling the heels, correct? We’re not carrying the PT this year and I don’t want to buy a jig for the three or four PT mounts we’ll inevitably have.

That’s a big bump forward but makes sense since the heel isn’t sliding out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Bump:

Spyderjon, if I’m reading this right, I can use a kingpin jig to mount the PT if I bump the toe forward 42mm after drilling the heels, correct? We’re not carrying the PT this year and I don’t want to buy a jig for the three or four PT mounts we’ll inevitably have.

That’s a big bump forward but makes sense since the heel isn’t sliding out of the way.
    No, that's not right. The PT toe has the Kingpin toe pattern but the PT heel has the Griffon pattern. See the above pic.

Yep, shit, my bad. So drill Griffon heels, spot kingpin jig, move toes up 42mm. Right?

I can already see I’m gonna have one instructor, one patroller, and one liftie that pick these up on pro form, but my largely geriatric clientele isn’t likely to pick up on these enough to justify buying a jig just yet.

Yep, shit, my bad. So drill Griffon heels, spot kingpin jig, move toes up 42mm. Right?
    I think it should be the distance between the front Kingpin holes, 47mm.

I think it should be the distance between the front Kingpin holes, 47mm.
    Jon said sharing the two holes would put the PT 4mm back, so wouldn't it be 51mm then?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Jon said sharing the two holes would put the PT 4mm back, so wouldn't it be 51mm then?
    Yes, but in his photo the Kingpin front and Duke PT rear share one set of holes with the same boot . . .

Jon? We haven't received our Duke PT jig yet, or at least we can't find it with all the smoke . . .

Yep, shit, my bad. So drill Griffon heels, spot kingpin jig, move toes up 42mm. Right?.......
    I'm away on holiday this week so can't check the measurement until I'm back on Monday.

.......I can already see I’m gonna have one instructor, one patroller, and one liftie that pick these up on pro form, but my largely geriatric clientele isn’t likely to pick up on these enough to justify buying a jig just yet.
    Just get their bsl's and |'ll make a up some pdf templates for you.

Yes, but in his photo the Kingpin front and Duke PT rear share one set of holes with the same boot . . .
    The above pic was in response to how the PT's mounting location aligned with an existing mount so I marked up the Kingpin locations first and then overlayed the PT jig. This then meant that when sharing the existing Kingpin holes it moved the PT boot centre back 4mm.

I’d rather have a formula and be just be drilling through a jig than wasting time with a paper template. Thanks for the offer though.

I just like having something I can write in the margins of the tech manual so everyone at both our shops has a simple way to get the job done correctly and quickly.

I think HAB’s equation is right, but I think the 46mm spacing between holes is correct, not 47. Meaning Duke PT toe holes are 50mm in front of Kingpin with the same hole pattern. If anyone can confirm that would be swell.

Honestly, the more reviews I see, the more interested I am in the design. It’s not for everyone, but certainly appears more solid than a shift, with an easier user interface. Not everybody wants bindings that come apart, and for good reason, but it looks to me to be a good option for the niche it serves.

I didn't fact check the hole spacing. If it's wrong, I blame Greg. Basic arithmetic is really all I can bring to the table.

I think the 46mm spacing between holes is correct, not 47.
    Could be, I don't have a Kingpin jig at home so just laid a ruler over a printed template I've used successfully and eyeballed it without reading glasses . . .

ZomblibulaX is correct, Knut Pohl's PDF says 46mm.

Marker Baron EPF to Duke PT remount?

Hmm - so will it be possible to remount a Volkl Katana (v-werks) from a Marker Baron to a Duke PT, using inserts, without shifting the binding's balance point? A little unclear to me.

My stock order of Duke PT's just arrived plus the PT jig.

Attachment 336457

Attachment 336458

The PT heel has the same L80mm x W32mm pattern as the Jester/Griffon but the metal insert worm drive track is a lot longer to give the greatly increased length adjustment.

The PT toe has a L46mm x W38mm pattern compared to the L31mm x W36mm of the Jester/Griffon.

Here's the PT mount in red alongside a Jester/Griffon mount in black, both at 300mm bsl and both mounted on the line. The heel holes are identical. The PT's toe locations straddle the rear toe locations of the Jester/Griffon by 15mm and 16mm so there's more than enough room for a conventional mount and sufficient room for a QK/BF mount even if the original mount was with inserts.

Attachment 336466

It's a pity that there's 2mm difference in the mounting width at the toe but if you wanted to use one of the pairs of Jester/Griffon holes then you'd end up +15mm or -16mm off the mounting line (assuming the same bsl) so very few will want to do that. But if you did want to do it (ie when there's a difference in bsl) then if you mounting the PT toe with inserts then the insert would enclose an original conventional mount and you'd be good to go.

So kudos to Marker for giving Jester/Griffon users the ability to upgrade their bindings without incurring any mounting hassle.

If anyone wants me to check the mounting hole compatibility with a different binding then advise the make/model/bsl of the existing mount plus the bsl for the Duke mount (if different) and I'll overlay the jigs to check.

Quote Originally Posted by candianrockyskibike View Post
    Hmm - so will it be possible to remount a Volkl Katana (v-werks) from a Marker Baron to a Duke PT, using inserts, without shifting the binding's balance point? A little unclear to me.
    To answer fully I'd need to know the following:

1. Is the Baron the older (narrower) model or the later & wider EPF model?
    2. Is the Baron the small or large length?
    3. What boot sole length was the Baron mounted for?
    4. What boot sole length is the PT being mounted for (if different to 3)?

If you bought the skis/bindings used and so don't know the answer to no.3 then you need to state the position of the centre of the middle mounting screw (the one just behind the ski/tour lever) relative to the mounting line on the ski, ie 10mm forward (towards the ski tip) of the line or 5mm behind (toward the tail) the line.

Can someone provide me a pdf template for the duke pt and bsl 305mm? Maybe you, Spyderjon? Unfortunatly i can't send private messages (yet?).

Update: PT is mounted with a front part of a Kingpin paper template. Tried to attach it to a rear part of a jester template, add 50mm to the front part and attach the hole thing to the existing Jester holes but this didn't work, the position was wrong. I then placed the rear hole marks in the middle of the old Jester front holes and marked the center line of the ski to the paper template. Position is perfect on both skis now. Thx for the helping me with the information in this thread.
    Last edited by rockbert09; 11-13-2020 at 03:13 AM.

Any insights if Duke PT holes will interfer with a ski that I have mounted with a Look SPX. Not so keen in getting the binding off the boot sole mark so before getting the SPX binding off it would be great to know.

Big thanks on forehand.

Cheers,
    Carl

Since I found this thread some time ago as I considered a swap... My tech was able to swap my Griffon 13 IDs to Duke PT 12s and retain boot position. Rear holes were reused. New had enough distance to drill new for fronts. Shifts / jig were also tested but holes were too close and would have required moving slightly forward or backward to get enough distance for safe mounting. It is a rather solid binding, and for my size and use there was no need to push to the heavier 16.