Entering the modern age - what to replace 2007 Gotamas?

Hey all - hoping to ask some advice.

Used to hang out round these parts quite a lot... but it's been a long time, between 5 years in the Marine Corps, ending up on the East Coast for grad school, and life getting in the way.

Anyway - I have the month of January off from school, a student season pass at JH, a military Epic Pass, and a borrowed SUV to chase falling flakes. I'm asking the collective for advice on how to CHEAPLY update my gear - I'd like to try out this reverse camber/sidecut/rockered business. My gear is old but functional - I have a pair of 2007 183 Volkl Gotamas (white topsheet / red bases) that I've skied all the camber out of, and a pair of 2004 186 Legend Pros (the original race stock ones, pre-tip protectors).

I absolutely love the Gotamas - they're stable but playful, easy to ski, not too heavy, and yet not limiting in anything shy of the chunkiest. The LPs are great skis, but (from what I remember) are a lot of work - I ended up going to the Gotamas the vast majority of the time.

What is the collective recommendation? I'm thinking it would be the move to replace the Gotamas with something more modern that fits in the same general-purpose-do-everything-powder-ski slot, and keep the LPs for mashed potato crud / mach-jesus groomer days. What should I be thinking about for that slot? I'd prefer something I can pick up cheap ($200?). Would rather spend the $$ on gas to get to storms, beer, etc. Would probably mount old Dukes (currently on the Gotamas) on them (LPs are mourned with Pivot 14s), unless that would be stupid / there's some new solution to the tech/alpine solution that isn't going to require me to replace all my gear at once...

Pm sent

Not sure what your hoping for. The skis you got are good. Those two are pretty awesome. 2FUNKY’s PM is about separating your Legends from you. There will likely be one about your Volkls shortly.

Keep skiing what you’re skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Not sure what your hoping for. The skis you got are good. Those two are pretty awesome. 2FUNKY’s PM is about separating your Legends from you. There will likely be one about your Volkls shortly.

Keep skiing what you’re skiing.
    Lol, nah, sent him a link on my Viciks. Good replacement for the Gotama.

Agreed.

In that case, bindings and BSL on the legends?

fucking vultures......

Ruster 11's to replace gotamas...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Agreed.

In that case, bindings and BSL on the legends?
    Ha!

I have red 4Frnt Turbos that are almost exactly like the Goats. Want them?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I have red 4Frnt Turbos that are almost exactly like the Goats.
    LMAO!

A new ski to replace the Gotamas for $200? Wouldn't that just be another Gotama somewhere at a ski swap?

On paper the 2020 reincarnate of the Gotama is the Mantra 102. Wanna buy a pair with Barons for 800 + shipping from Japan?

How do you enter the modern age for $200? Put said money into a stone grind and re-true the bases. The Gotama shreds. You can't replace it for $200.

Go ask the ON3P thread if anyone has any swiss cheese billy goats.

I have Blue House Mavens I'll send you for the cost of shipping from Japan. That's 138 underfoot, a noodle, and will help you understand a 5-point ski so you can make a wise decision on your next purchase. It'll be the most fun powder ski you've ever had, and it will simultaneously drive you nuts in ways that will help you decide your next real ski. (I know, I also have a Gotama.) Then, you don't have to part with the Gotamas. Just find a binding for it.

Praxis RX

Personally I would go Billygoats.
    watch out for snakes

What about ON3P Wrenegade 108 (or 112s)? How do those compare?

Realistically, coming from the East Coast the 1-ski quiver is a huge advantage... and lugging a pair of heavy LPs onto a plane just because I want to go *slightly* faster than on the goats isn't worth the cost.

Where are you on the east coast? I have a pair of 194 4frnt Devastators I’m thinking of parting with. Go fast and have a twin tip on the cheap! Shoot me a PM
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-03-2019 at 03:50 PM.

On TGR the major brands are passe, unless you can get Enforcers for 1/2 off from Canada. For the most street cred you'll want to go indie. For ~$200 you're looking at one indie ski, or a pair with more holes than a prairie dog colony, so as long as the edges are good, get a good base grind/tune on the Gotama's for $75-100. Don't worry about camber, those things never had any camber anyway. Put some stickers on the skis for additional street cred, grow a beard and live the JH dream.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

If the white top sheet skis the the 2008 gold top sheet, ski them. To this day it's my favorite pair of skis, especially for a one ski quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    On TGR the major brands are passe, unless you can get Enforcers for 1/2 off from Canada. For the most street cred you'll want to go indie. For ~$200 you're looking at one indie ski, or a pair with more holes than a prairie dog colony, so as long as the edges are good, get a good base grind/tune on the Gotama's for $75-100. Don't worry about camber, those things never had any camber anyway. Put some stickers on the skis for additional street cred, grow a beard and live the JH dream.
    And mount them underneath your Sonata, so when you flip it, people will know you died skiing something you loved

Check out the ON3P Wren 98s?
    Or the Blizzard Peacemaker from a few years back?

Resurrection. I was just wondering the other day what the modern equivalent to the Gotama would be. Loved those skis. Has 3 different iterations over the years.
    I saw some at Stowe yesterday and they looked so much narrower then I remembered.