Can anyone school me on 'Look Rockerace' bindings?

Sounds like they're meant to be mounted on a plate, not directly binding to ski?

yes, there is no jig available, they go on the race plate equipped skis
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Thank you very much for confirming this.

These would be sweet with a wider brake...

^ For sure, they're basically the new & improved version of the OG Pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ For sure, they're basically the new & improved version of the OG Pivot.
    They are a new version of the SPX / PX but are designed for the R20/R21 Race Plates.

You can free mount as I have on my piste skis, with a bit of careful measurement and combinations of a few templates (I print my templates on OHP acetate) I used the pivot 18 toe template and the SPX heal template to give me a guideline for heal. I covered the target area in frog tape and measure the binding and hole pattern across each axis.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

You can mount them directly to the ski. I've mounted a couple this way. I made my own template.
    The heel pattern is different than regular SPX heel as the rearmost screws are closer to the front (not as far back as they are on a SPX) so you probably get a bit more of a flex in the ski a la Pivot, w convenience of a step in.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

clarifying, yes as mentioned you can mount it flat to a ski to get almost Pivot like performance.
    But you could cut out the middleman and just mount pivots as it should be.
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    clarifying, yes as mentioned you can mount it flat to a ski to get almost Pivot like performance.
    But you could cut out the middleman and just mount pivots as it should be.
    It was worth it as I got a pair of 15's for free, brand new off a pal who races skier cross as she didn't like the colour and wanted the blue versions.

win win.
    where are you? I'll trade u for pivots if you are in Canuckistan
    Last edited by waxman; 12-02-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    win win.
    where are you? I'll trade u for pivots if you are in Canuckistan
    Sadly I'm in Scotland, shipping might be a but much but I'd always trade for more pivots, theres a few sets in the pivot box but one more can't hurt.

Can someone kindly measure the hole spacing on the Rockerace heel? Want to check for potential mounting conflicts before pulling the trigger. Thnx

I would if I could, but unfortunately my templates are 150 mi away
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

So is this something new or did OP mean “rockerflex” vs rockerace.?

The former needs an f21 race plate and has been around for about 4-5 years. It does have the rearmost 2 screws closer to front forming a visually similar square rear mounting pattern to a pivot heal.

The rockerflex is essentially the same as the axial 2 but everything on the heal piece behind the last two screws is elevated from the skis surface reducing effective binding contact length on the ski which theoretically reduces the flat spot the binding creates in the arc of a fully flexed ski,

If anybody is interested I have a mint (less than 10 days) white (look version) spx 15 pair for sale. They have 85mm brakes and the solid one piece metal toe piece. I need $175 CAD net for the pair. Them and I are in Toronto.

With respect to spacing I can measure once I’m home later tonight.

Day late...

Forward heal piece hole pair are 42.5 mm apart centre to centre
    Rear hole pair are 39 mm back from front pair Center to centre and also 42.5 mm apart

^ Thanks for doing the measurement. Appreciated!

Apparently Look claims the Rockerace has to be used on a raceplate because the heel isn't designed to accommodate as much horizontal elasticity as a normal heel because the raceplate eliminates heel movement during ski flex (it acts like the metal strap that goes from the toe to the heel in lots of race bindings).

I pulled a Rockerace heel off the track and checked it out, and it looks like it would work fine mounted flat to a ski as long as the ski is relatively stiff. The forward pressure spring is super long and certainly would have no issue keeping forward pressure consistent, but the plastic shuttle at the end of the spring is in a smallish pocket, and a super deep flex could move it out of the pocket. It would probably pop back into place though as the ski flattens back out.

Don't know that the shuttle could ever move that much though, unless the ski was a total noodle and you stuffed it hard into a hole. Would be interesting to mount the binding to something really soft and flex it deeply with a boot in the binding, and see how much the heel moves.

2023 update: mounted a pair of Rockerace 15 on Katana 108 with no issues. Was concerned that there might not be as much downward toe wing pressure on the boot without the raceplate (which positions the underside of the toe 2mm higher than the underside of the heel), but the boot ramp angle increase doesn't seem to be a problem. They're definitely harder to step in compared to STH or Attack due to the long vertical elasticity at the heel, I'd say difficulty is similar to pre-2020 Marker Jester/Griffon. So probably not a good choice for a deep pow ski or lightweight skier.

Zero concern about pre-release, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    2023 update: mounted a pair of Rockerace 15 on Katana 108 with no issues. Was concerned that there might not be as much downward toe wing pressure on the boot without the raceplate (which positions the underside of the toe 2mm higher than the underside of the heel), but the boot ramp angle increase doesn't seem to be a problem. They're definitely harder to step in compared to STH or Attack due to the long vertical elasticity at the heel, I'd say difficulty is similar to pre-2020 Marker Jester/Griffon. So probably not a good choice for a deep pow ski or lightweight skier.

Zero concern about pre-release, that's for sure.
    Do your boots have rear tech fittings? I've found that I have zero issues stepping in with my alpine boots, but when I lent a pair of skis to a friend with Cochise boots and he basically had to slam his foot into the heel to get it to engage. It looks like the bottom of the boot heel pushes the heel piece back a bit before the dildo flips up. Tech fittings seemed to make it harder to move the heel piece back

Don't think it's the tech fittings that grabs, it's the partially-rubber sole pads on the Cochise that doesn't want to slide down the heel cup and push it back. Same issue with pre-2020 Marker Royal family. I tried the Rockerace with 2021 Mach1 130 LV, which basically have the same hybrid rubber heel pad as the Cochise but without the pin cutout. The cheaper Mach1 replacement soles are all plastic, and would offer easier step-in but less grip walking around. I wouldn't be surprised if those all-plastic Mach1 plates also fit 2017+ Cochise, which would work fine if you never use them with full tech bindings anyway. (Duke PT and Shift don't have heel pins.)