Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    There's a much larger difference between 20 & 25 and 25 & 30. Not to be pretentious (sure I am) I'm not interested in hanging out with undergrads, I'm graduating from grad school.

I guess literally no one has any comments on what backcountry skiing is like midwinter in Seattle?
    Remember, the sun sets about 4pm in Seattle on the 12 winter days the sun actually comes out. If you are willing to drive many hours in the dark for thigh burning moisture ridden dank mank cement snow be my guest. Lots of stream, creek, waterfall garbage to deal with. Gotta stay in the back seat to keep those tips up even with heavy rockers.

Yuck.

Not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Where Should I Move? Seattle vs. Boulder

There's a much larger difference between 20 & 25 and 25 & 30. Not to be pretentious (sure I am) I'm not interested in hanging out with undergrads, I'm graduating from grad school.

I guess literally no one has any comments on what backcountry skiing is like midwinter in Seattle?
    Conditions are hit and miss in the PNW. A little bit like feast and famine due to freezing levels. I preferred the consistently high quality snow in Colorado. No matter when I could get out, it was usually good snow. Can’t comment deeply on crowds and access, since its been a while, but for non-sidecountry, I felt like Colorado had better access. Lots of high mountain roads and trailheads that dump you right into good ski terrain with good snow (rather than having to climb for a while). That was nice for morning weekday tours and showing up at noon. But you said you preferred long climbs and suffering over laps, so there’s that... and facets...

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Your search game is weak.
    No shit. Hi jong boy, here's all my favorite places to ski on weekends.
    Put it this way: When I talk to folks from outside the area, they don't think of Seattle as a ski town. Good.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

FFS man give beardmech a chance to get back to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Boulder is a university town. And a tech hotbed, outdoor hotbed, etc. Meaning a shit ton of grad students and young professionals. Almost all sickeningly fit.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Got friends up hill from Boulder, they love it.

Can not say bout Seattle other than its dying.
    watch out for snakes

Yes. But if it's anything like Missoula and UM, which I'm pretty sure it is, there'll be plenty of grad students and hangers-on between 25 and 35.
    Don't forget, it's also a huge metro area with, what, 2 million people? And they're all on i70 every weekend. No thanks.
    IDK if you have any joint conditions, but if you do, stay in the Rockies.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yes. But if it's anything like Missoula and UM, which I'm pretty sure it is, there'll be plenty of grad students and hangers-on between 25 and 35.
    Don't forget, it's also a huge metro area with, what, 2 million people? And they're all on i70 every weekend. No thanks.
    IDK if you have any joint conditions, but if you do, stay in the Rockies.
    Joint "conditions" are legal in both cities OP mentioned. Just saying.

Did anyone mention it rains a LOT in Seattle? But there are those few glorious days with bluebird skies that almost make it worthwhile. I’d move back if I could figure out how to make it work. Unfortunately, it’s not a very affordable place to retire to.

Last time I lived there I was surprised by the amount of wood smoke pollution in the winter. I don’t know if that is still a problem.

OP, you're saying you will have a basic 50 hour workweek in SEA? Because you know that's gonna turn into 60 hours right?
    No quality of life in that son, esp. when you add in the clusterfucks they call commutes in SEA.

For the record: mountain bike access is NOT the same in Denver and Boulder. I don’t think I’ve put my bike on my truck for a local Boulder ride in almost 2 years. Plenty of good riding from the garage...

Plan to spend 10-12 hours a week minimum in your car to and from work.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

https://komonews.com/news/local/spen...s-report-finds

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

getting the hell outta Texas
    Wait, you want to leave Texas? Are you a Texan (you know exactly what I mean)?

If you aren't: Let me wish you luck on your journey and your next phase of life. Thank you for coming to Texas, and thank you for leaving.

If you are: Then get the fuck going before we throw you out, fucking traitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Did anyone mention it rains a LOT in Seattle? But there are those few glorious days with bluebird skies that almost make it worthwhile. I’d move back if I could figure out how to make it work. Unfortunately, it’s not a very affordable place to retire to.

Last time I lived there I was surprised by the amount of wood smoke pollution in the winter. I don’t know if that is still a problem.
    So a sunny day in Seattle is like a 2’ powder day with the frenzy to go get out and do something? Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post

Not this November unfortunately.

Id skip Seattle. No good touring, crowds, and its been totally overrun with entitled millenials moving here since @2011.

Def. Check out SLC
    My kid said 4+ hrs to get down B.C. on friday.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Where Should I Move? Seattle vs. Boulder

Life time Washington resident, just moved away.

the cascades have the best ski touring and mountain terrain in the universe, (well maybe not the best, there’s probably somewhere in Europe that’s better but pretty mind blowing mountains) however you can’t get to any of it easily, especially in the winter time. And access has been getting worse. The few areas that are accessible are massively crowded, expect moguls on the common routes.

Lift skiing: there has been no new ski areas since the 1960s. There has been no major expansion of terrain since the 1980s. But there’s now 10 times the population. There will be no expansion of skiing due to insane anti-development environmental groups. Regardless, all the ski areas were built before climate change was on the radar and powder skiing was a thing. They are all very low elevation. There are places in the cascades where a ski area could be built that is above the rain line for most of the winter but never going to happen at this point.

I would look elsewhere, and that’s not a jaded local thing, I moved away because I was tired of hour long lift lines and having to be at the ski area by 7am to get parking.

the chicks in boulder are one reason to move there, young and old they are all top shelf
    looking like every other tool and fitting in will be easy, boulder is ground zero for tools
    you'll end up with a garage full of outdoor gear in boulder and barely use it winning
    once you move to boulder you'll realize all the really cool people live in golden and want to move
    maybe littleton is more your speed
    driving to eldora since it got ruined will be so much fun, taking a shuttle bus from ned to the backcountry to go skiing or hiking will be a blast
    the uptight self rightous boulder people will make you enjoy life to the fullest
    Got a comped hotel room in boulder this weekend, I'll use it to the max and let you know if i decide to move there

Have you considered Rutland, VT?
    Coffee out the nose, thanks

I'm not sure I want to admit how much Fred nailed it with that one, lol.

Fred, I owe you a beer for all your helpful posts when I was remodeling, give a shout if you want to collect.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Honestly sounds like you could make either location (Boulder/Seattle) work from a lifestyle/outdoors perspective. However, like mentioned earlier more emphasis should be put on the career thing. You went to grad school so I'd have to assume the career means more than peanuts to you.

Would a year or 2 of suffering in Seattle make you marketable enough to have more options wrt location? [probably]

From what you described about the Boulder job I wouldn't be thrilled going that route. Sure you have a bit more time to do stuff, but at what expense? Getting shoehorned into a stagnant position sucks and is not gunna do you any favors when you eventually are looking for a new high level job.

Look at Denver or SLC. More opportunity, more going on, great access to outdoor rec. You're an engineer, you're smart. Smarter than 99% of the mouth breathers complaining that it's too difficult or "sucks" to live in either of those places.

And, Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    boulder is ground zero for tools
    Let me direct you to Scottsdale AZ. I'm from a small, predominantly white, relatively wealthy NJ suburb and feel like I grew up on a fucking cattle ranch compared to the prissy toolbags out here. Kind of hilarious actually. The women are sure nice to look at, lots of rocks upstairs though.

If OP is an actual Texan, please, for the love of dog, stay in Texas. You can fly Southwest to skiing a couple times a year if you must.

wait a minute your young try things out salt lake boulder denver if you don't like something keep moving until you end up in Albuquerque

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm not sure I want to admit how much Fred nailed it with that one, lol.

Fred, I owe you a beer for all your helpful posts when I was remodeling, give a shout if you want to collect.
    I'll be in boulder this weekend.............. not really sure of the plan though, just know someone who has a hotel room fri and sat so when I see the word free I"m usually there
    all depends on weather too, so I can go road biking