Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    For the record: mountain bike access is NOT the same in Denver and Boulder. I don’t think I’ve put my bike on my truck for a local Boulder ride in almost 2 years. Plenty of good riding from the garage...
    Yes, good rides from town...If you're a roadie.

OP - My advice would be to rent in Boulder for year to test the waters before possibly moving to Denver and dealing with a shitty commute.

Nashville
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Nashville
    Kind of missing the part about easy access for back country skiing, aren't you? Or any skiing for that matter.

Yeah I'm not a native Texan so I've been ready to get out.

east or bust you nailed it though. I am lucky/privileged/whatever you want to call it to make living work pretty much anywhere I can get a job in my field. The Boulder job actually provides a very good 2-year baseline for my career, but after that if I want to keep learning I need to leave...and that means leaving Boulder too. If I think I'll like Seattle, I'd rather settle in there first than keep moving around every 2 years. I'm getting sick of that.

But my issue with Seattle is it just feels like it's busting at the seams and way too close to the next SF (I moved the fuck away from there) and I have no interest in being part of the problem (I know I always will be). My heart wants to go to Seattle, but I'm notorious for making decisions that make my life harder/worse. I was hoping to get a reality check on what it's like to get out there on the weekends in Seattle. If I wanted to avoid the commute I could always move straight to Bellevue yuck.

I also like the idea of being able to ski volcanoes and getting really into alpinism. The nice thing about Seattle is if my job sucks after 2 years I can just move to another job in the area. In fact I already have two offers there, but one is for significantly less money.

I don't like the bro/brah outdoor culture of Colorado Front Range, though I know that's not everyone - they're the loudest. Ground zero for tools kind of sums it up. Seattle feels like it's got a little more refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    For the record: mountain bike access is NOT the same in Denver and Boulder. I don’t think I’ve put my bike on my truck for a local Boulder ride in almost 2 years. Plenty of good riding from the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Mt biking from town in Boulder is pretty lame. But better than mt biking from Denver, which is non-existent. As for driving to trails (which I do from either) someone said that the drive from Denver to trails is the same as it is from Boulder, except to better trails. That is pretty fucking dumb. First, if you live in, say, Berkeley your commute to trails is significantly different than if you live in, say, Park Hill, so treating Denver as a monolith for drive times is silly. Second, the closest trails that one could drive to from Denver are in Golden (White Ranch, Apex, etc), and you can drive to those same trails from Boulder, in the same amount of time. But Boulder has other options for riding that are much further from Denver (Heil/Hall/Walker/West Mag).

As a Boulder mt biker, I complain about our riding access all the time, so I don't have the rosy outlook that ski-wpk does; Marshall Mesa is fine for what it is (flat, crowded, lots of non-singletrack, lots of non-pavement miles, and good views) and Betasso is great as a quick workout ride, but that's it riding from the garage (I don't consider rides that require more pavement than those as rideable from the garage). But to say that Denver mt biking is as good as Boulder mt biking is just fucking stupid.

And if you like to hike or trail run, the difference becomes even more stark. Denver has plenty of things going for it over Boulder, but access to trails (bike or hike) ain't one of them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post

OP - My advice would be to rent in Boulder for year to test the waters before possibly moving to Denver and dealing with a shitty commute.
    I don’t know if it’s changed, but I visited my buddy in Boulder about seven or eight years ago and we went for a road ride of about 40 miles and I probably got beeped/honked at 15 times on that one ride. Mostly trucks riding close to the white line and waiting to the last minute to blast their horn. I’ve never been beeped at here in the Seattle area, or even in redneck Eastern Washington for that matter.
    It’s probably because it’s raining so much that they can’t see me through their wipers.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Pros of Boulder:
    -easier to have high QoL
    Here’s your answer. QoL is everything. You could die at 30 and would have spent 5 years grinding away somewhere and not skiing as much as you want. F that.

Seriously though. I would go with Boulder, and I rip on Boulder a lot but it is a much finer place to live. I used to love Seattle, but it appears that the place has been going off the rails in the last few years.

Also, you can always change your mind and move a few years in. You are only in your 20s. I moved a shitton in my 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Coffee out the nose, thanks
    If Rutland isn't the right speed, there's always Londonderry.

Does Europe have these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Does Europe have these threads?
    Move to Seattle from Europe?

That's crazy talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Sounds like you have already talked yourself out of Seattle. The last thing we need here is another transplant who gripes about all the things they would change and why the weather sucks. You gotta be hearty to enjoy life here. And it’s crowded. Job market is amazing though.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Where Should I Move? Seattle vs. Boulder

Access to the trails from Denver proper is pretty fast if you’re right off 6 or Hampden. 20-25 from my house IN the city and I’m at Apex, Green Mtn, Dakota Ridge and Mt Falcon.

Golden’s awesome though. I’d look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Move to Seattle from Europe?

That's crazy talk.
    Dont be ridiculous. They'd move to Boulder for the women and quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Kind of missing the part about easy access for back country skiing, aren't you? Or any skiing for that matter.
    You obviously miss the cynicism in my post.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    If...actual Texan...stay in Texas
    This is why you like me. I wouldn't leave this place if you paid me.

I'm not a native Texan so I've been ready to get out.
    Praise Willie. One down, millions to go.

Are you Californian? If so, that's even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

duplicate
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-02-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Mt biking from town in Boulder is pretty lame. But better than mt biking from Denver, which is non-existent. As for driving to trails (which I do from either) someone said that the drive from Denver to trails is the same as it is from Boulder, except to better trails. That is pretty fucking dumb. First, if you live in, say, Berkeley your commute to trails is significantly different than if you live in, say, Park Hill, so treating Denver as a monolith for drive times is silly. Second, the closest trails that one could drive to from Denver are in Golden (White Ranch, Apex, etc), and you can drive to those same trails from Boulder, in the same amount of time. But Boulder has other options for riding that are much further from Denver (Heil/Hall/Walker/West Mag).

As a Boulder mt biker, I complain about our riding access all the time, so I don't have the rosy outlook that ski-wpk does; Marshall Mesa is fine for what it is (flat, crowded, lots of non-singletrack, lots of non-pavement miles, and good views) and Betasso is great as a quick workout ride, but that's it riding from the garage (I don't consider rides that require more pavement than those as rideable from the garage). But to say that Denver mt biking is as good as Boulder mt biking is just fucking stupid.

And if you like to hike or trail run, the difference becomes even more stark. Denver has plenty of things going for it over Boulder, but access to trails (bike or hike) ain't one of them.
    Missed the boat. If you like riding good trails, Denver has closer riding (not more). Living in five points (killer nightlife, beats the piss outta Boulder) was about 20-25 min from Apex. But is about 30-35 min from Boulder. White Ranch is closer from Denver too. Those times are from Table Mesa. Much longer if you don’t live on the south end. Walker and Hall are fun, but I wouldn’t put them above Apex and WR. And Dakota Ridge is great, too, if you’re on a time crunch.

And yeah, Marshall Mesa and Betasso... no thanks. I’ll leave those for the dirt roadies.

I preferred living in Denver, purely from a mountain biking perspective.

] Gravel biking and ski touring are my #1's.
    Which one of these two things do you care about most? Ski touring near Boulder is fine and if you're new to the sport can be damn fun. But Seattle has no I70, stable mid-winter pow touring + volcanoes so I'd choose it over Boulder for sure. Gravel biking though - I'd think Boulder wins hands down since Boulder's warm most of the year, very dry and there are loads of gravel rides accessible from town + I would imagine a very active community of people riding those roads.

I'm 100% with Lindahl on the mtn biking thing too. Boulder's a great place to live if you like to ride your mountain bike sometimes and value riding from your house. Denver's just a way better place to live you're seriously into mountain biking. That said like the OP all I ride is a gravel bike now so WTF do I know haha

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Access to the trails from Denver proper is pretty fast if you’re right off 6 or Hampden. 20-25 from my house IN the city and I’m at Apex, Green Mtn, Dakota Ridge and Mt Falcon.

Golden’s awesome though. I’d look at that.
    Dude is single, in his 20s and just graduated. Golden would be a tough sell.

But my issue with Seattle is it just feels like it's busting at the seams and way too close to the next SF (I moved the fuck away from there) and I have no interest in being part of the problem
    It's definitely crowded and getting worse. My wife's motto is "just assume everything is going to be busy all the time." You stop at the grocery store at 11 am on Wednesday and the lot is full...that kind of thing. You're always wondering: don't people have jobs anymore?

Fucking "gravel riding"??

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It's definitely crowded and getting worse. My wife's motto is "just assume everything is going to be busy all the time." You stop at the grocery store at 11 am on Wednesday and the lot is full...that kind of thing. You're always wondering: don't people have jobs anymore?
    Haha. I used to run all my errands during Seahawks games to reduce the shit show and find parking/less traffic(except Costco and IKEA, they’re always Fucked) but last couple years that strategy doesn’t seem to work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Fucking "gravel riding"??

Yeah, who actually seeks that out?

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Yeah, who actually seeks that out?
    Srsly.

That's the shit that I'll begrudgingly do in between sweet sections of singletrack... but ONLY if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Missed the boat. If you like riding good trails, Denver has closer riding (not more). Living in five points (killer nightlife, beats the piss outta Boulder) was about 20-25 min from Apex. But is about 30-35 min from Boulder. White Ranch is closer from Denver too. Those times are from Table Mesa. Much longer if you don’t live on the south end. Walker and Hall are fun, but I wouldn’t put them above Apex and WR. And Dakota Ridge is great, too, if you’re on a time crunch.

And yeah, Marshall Mesa and Betasso... no thanks. I’ll leave those for the dirt roadies.

I preferred living in Denver, purely from a mountain biking perspective.
    I disagree in that I would prefer to be the extra 10 minutes from WR/Apex but still be able to ride Betasso, Super Walker, and soon Heil and Hall when they complete the connector, all from town with a car. Not to mention the flat trails or Rez and Marshall for quick after work laps with no driving. Also only 30 minutes from the Ned trails which are some of the best in the area. Boulder is far better in my mind for mtn biking than Denver.

Just my opinion.