Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Half of the mouth breathers in this thread are smart engineers.
    Haha, didn't mean for it to come off that way. Was really referring to the general populace.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    This has to be a troll
    Sure if you insist!

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    If you’re working in Bellevue, you don’t want to be commuting across that bridge every day. Find an apartment in Kirkland or Redmond. Drive into Seattle for nightlife if you must.
    What about biking it with an e-bike?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Both Seattle and Boulder are great places to put your Peloton.
    For my wife. Of course.

Find an apartment in Kirkland or Redmond.
    that sounds awful

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Sure if you insist!

What about biking it with an e-bike?
    I was talking about the floating bridge to Seattle (either of them). I don’t think trying to ride a bike or ebike across them would be a wise idea.

Issaquah would be a good option, too, but puts you even farther out in the suburb wasteland. But closer to Alpental...

Edit: well, what do you know, they added a pedestrian and bike path to the Evergreen Pt bridge a couple years ago.

Yeah, that changes things. Maybe just live on Capitol Hill or the U district. However, you still have to consider it’s going to be raining most of the time.
    Last edited by billyk; 12-02-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    that sounds awful
    It can be nice. At one point I had an apartment right across the street from Microsoft in Redmond. One of my neighbors was a player for the Seahawks. We had an indoor pool, and nice rec center.

From the Ballard / Freemont area is there any riding right out the door for an after work hour-ish where you can escape a bit?

Also, is Alpental pretty much a go-to for sidecountry stuff?

WW kayaking sounds super fun.

I have a friend group in Seattle already so that's really nice, but none of them are into my kind of outdoors so I can't leverage them for advice. I know I'm not going to be getting out and skiing / riding every weekend. More of an every-other weekend thing. But being able to access it when I do want it is important to me and being able to go on some quick jaunts when I don't have time to get out of the city is also important (obviously for biking not skiing).
    In city mountain biking? That's a negative. Cyclocross at lower woodland park is as close as that would get.

If the op can’t figure this out without consulting a bunch of dentists online, I’ve lost all hope in our advanced education system.

After reading through this thread and some of the shit being spewed by the OP, I want to revise my original response. You should absolutely, without an inkling of doubt, move to greater Seattle. That will reduce the likelihood that I have to run into such a gigantic twit when I move out of this fuckin' place. Thanks in advance.

ETA: All joking aside, the skiing is really fucking good in the PNW. Long season, deep snowpack, big mountains, etc. I'm a grumpy, statistically insignificant data point, but after living in Utah, the Tetons and the RFV, skiing here is just as good as Utah and the Teets when it goes off, and is consistently superior to Colorado. While the skiing here is different than the intermountain west, it's still stellar. It's just that the skiing isn't enough to provide redemption for the other major drawbacks to living in the region.

Boulder hands down. Buy a condo or house in the mtns drive up thurs-fri after work, skip the traffic unless you prefer 300 days of drizzle weather to sunshine

I want to know what it's like doing skiing, mountain biking, gravel biking in the Seattle area. If I live in Fremont or similar is there anything I can do right outside my door?
    For a long time Seattle was the best kept secret in skiing. Not any more, it's gotten just ridiculously crowded to the point where on busy days, there's not parking after 8:00. So getting to the ski areas isn't bad on US2, I-90 or SR510, but there's just very few parking resources for the number of people now. Housing costs and availability are ridiculous.

Mt. Baker is far, like 3 hours+ from Seattle, get's lots of snow and bad visibility, somewhat limited in bounds, incredible "sidecountry".

Stevens Pass is around 2 hours, a little less, best snow in the area, again somewhat limited in bounds, fantastic sidecountry, lots and lots of excellent touring off US 2, but increasingly crowded.

Alpental is an hour from the city, low elevation, gets a lot of snow and rain, is across the road from an enormous complex of mostly beginner/intermediate Summit-At-Snoqualmie West, Central and East. Lots of great sidecountry, incredible touring but ridiculously crowded with people that have no sense or etiquette.

Crystal is about 2 hours, best lift system in the state, least amounts of snow of the main 3 Seattle ski areas, great in bounds terrain, great sidecountry and touring.

Mission and White Pass are a long drive from the Puget Sound, but worthy spots as well.

Fremont and Ballard are urban with a few parks like Discovery that have some biking, but it's really just urban riding with one decent and crowded trail, the Burke-Gilman. Fremont used to be cool, but has been gentrified and upscaled too much to allow much beyond upwardly mobile yuppies. All the old buskers, artists and freaks I knew have been driven out by overpriced housing. The Fremont Players still exist and the Moisture Festival still runs at Hales Brewery.

Bellevue and Redmond are changing big time with a lot more apartments/condos and nightlife. The Lake Washington bridge should not be underestimated for hassles in commuting. In general, the infrastructure can't support the number of people and the crowding seems to manifest much less socially functional behavior.

There's a cool lemma in Category Theory that says that every image is factored through the identity or self map.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 12-03-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Where Should I Move? Seattle vs. Boulder

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Boulder hands down. Buy a condo or house in the mtns drive up thurs-fri after work, skip the traffic unless you prefer 300 days of drizzle weather to sunshine
    This.

When you have flexibility, I70 isn’t an issue. Go up Friday, come back Sunday after dinner or Monday early. I used to get up at 5:30am in Silverthorne and drive down to work in downtown Denver and be the first one in. Or work remotely and ski weekdays.

Yeah but let’s get to the important debate - whether mountain bike access is better in Denver or Boulder, cause....I don’t have any idea why that’s pertinent to his question, but let’s suss that out.

But seriously, do the math in part.

What will it cost to live?, look at rentals on Zillow or craigslist.

How much will your pay be?

They both have their pluses and minuses, but I wouldn’t choose either over the other if it meant money was tight in one and not the other.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

RE: Crowded Seattle

Most of the people complaining about the traffic, crowds, lift lines, real-estate, etc... lived here pre-boom when this place was dead.

If you have lived in another major metro, it’s the same bullshit... Seattlites just like to complain.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Most of the people complaining about the traffic, crowds, lift lines, real-estate, etc... lived here pre-boom when this place was awesome with a lot less assholes.

If you have lived in another major metro, it’s the same bullshit... Seattlites just like to point out it's now just as shitty as any other city..
    FIFY
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Having visited both a bit, biggest questions to answer:
    1. Are you ok with not seeing any sun for 3 months straight?
    2. If yes, are you ok with an insular and passive aggressive social scene?
    If yes to both, Seattle is a possibility, if not, don't bother.

I mean,if your into the city life,either of those places are going to be awesome.
    They are most likely both going to involve and hour in traffic to seriously recreate, but I bet Boulder gets the edge here. Weather is probably better in Boulder too, but Seattle area will be lighter later in the summer. Do you need ocean in your life? Some people do.
    I'd go with whichever job seems to offer the best pay vs cost of living and opportunity for advancement either at the same company or somewhere else.

Then after getting tired of the bullshit, you can move somewhere in the mountains with a load of change to buy something before taking the inevitable pay cut. Or move to Portland or SLC. idfk. You'll be setup well to travel from either place. Slight edge to Seattle for more hip and cool northwestern towns in driving distance. Either place should be able to fly you just about anywhere in the world. Alaska is a better airline, but United probably has more destinations.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Most of the people complaining about the traffic, crowds, lift lines, real-estate, etc... lived here pre-boom when this place was dead.

If you have lived in another major metro, it’s the same bullshit... Seattlites just like to complain.
    When I was working on my PHD from 99-03, there was still free street parking in South Lake Union.

Lift lines have always existed; as a wee kiddo, I memba it taking over an hour to ride chair 1 and 2 at xtal to get up to Green Valley. Lot 4 was wall to wall ski busses well into the 90's on weekends. Touring was a lonely prospect until after 2010 when it started "getting overcrowded like the Wasatch."

Austin gets as much rain as Seattle, but Seattle spreads it out over 150 days of grey and moss grows on all aspects. Sun worshippers will not find it appealing. Compared to Denver/Boulder, the mountains here are closer yet feel farther away.

Mt Rainier is the only location in the lower 48 where 10,000+ ski descents are even possible.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Edit: well, what do you know, they added a pedestrian and bike path to the Evergreen Pt bridge a couple years ago.
    Yep, can bike across both I-90 and 520 now.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Powder day policy makes it for me.
    Boulder is a college town, there is not gonna be a lack of 20 somethings.

Have you considered Rutland, VT?
    Yes

Boulder is easy to rag on

But its probably not a bad place to live especially if your in your 20s I lived there once a long time ago and it was fun but it was a long time as go when it was still cool

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Question for OP that I don't recall being covered. Are you carrying any student loan debt? If so, I would go the route of picking the opportunity that will support paying off that debt (ASAP) while still allowing you a decent quality of life (also factoring in regional cost of living). If no debt, disregard. Regardless of your choice, either place will be fine (I've lived in both places, twice), neither has to be permanent, and you have a lot of time to figure out what you really want long term.
    Last edited by ACH; 12-03-2019 at 10:15 AM.

If you want to know the "secret" tours only a true local would know about, hmu

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    If you want to know the "secret" tours only a true local would know about, hmu
    You're already an influencer. Choose that. It's some great latte's.