Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Yes.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Spokane
    Did s/he say s/he was white? I must have missed that part.

-it's easier to get on flatwater paddling/kayaking/boating/sailing in Seattle vs. Boulder.
    -it's easier to get to the ocean in Seattle
    -not really sure what the fuck the backcountry access question is
    -neither are really lacking in people who like the outdoors
    -days are like 45 minutes shorter near the winter solstice in Seattle vs. Denver; this is annoying if you work a 9-5 and imo worse than the grey. wake up go to work in the dark, drive home from work in the dark, see the sun at lunchtime or through an office window = teh suckorz. in the winter grey means snow means good (usually), it's the late spring (May) grey that fucks up the snow that sucks.
    -without knowing where you work and where you live and your tolerance for commuting evaluating relative living situation is up to you. traffic was dogshit in seattle, apparently its gotten worse.
    -contrary to the sucky short winter days is summer days in seattle are long and awesome.

-I'd add myself to chorus of arguing if you are starting out pick one of the smaller intra-mountain west citys if your job will allow it. Portland's a fun city to live in but imo has crappier mountain access than either of these choices and most of the others mentioned.

Funny stuff in here.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've lived in Seattle almost all my life. It's become a big city, with all that goes with it. We mtn bike after work quite a bit "in season", but it requires a drive and because of the traffic, it's usually night riding with lights. Still great, if you can handle less than 8 hrs of sleep. I'd say one of the main advantages over CO is ski touring in pow conditions. We get to do it all the time (I haven't ridden a lift in 8 years). From what I've heard, it's basically a no go during the heart of the season in CO. But based on your criteria, I'm guessing you'll have a better work/life balance at the start of your career in Boulder. I'd also venture that you can get a job pretty easily in Seattle if you decide Boulder isn't for you, but the inverse probably isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Funny stuff in here.
    OP's like of "long alpine missions"?

Is there a TR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    OP's like of "long alpine missions"?

Is there a TR?
    Not yet...

I'm relatively new to backcountry skiing (1.5 seasons?), so maybe my terminology is wrong, but for example this spring I skied Esha peak near Mammoth (6k vert), Mount Whitney, and Mount Hood. When I was in Boulder for the interview I went out with some folks to Dry Gulch and skied a few laps of low angle pow. Granted I also skiied Skywalker Couloir in the Indian Peaks wilderness last year and that was fun.

I much preferred the long one up, one down, to laps. I'd rather go out once a month for a long mission than every weekend for a few laps. Personal preference.

Skiing, biking, etc isn't my LIFE. I like to do other things too. But I'm just trying to get a feel for what backcountry skiing mid-winter is like in the greater Seattle area.

Where Should I Move? Seattle vs. Boulder

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Sure, but Denver isn't even close to the same as Boulder. It'd be an hour commute to live in Denver.
    Depends. We lived in an awesome hood in Denver and I worked in Boulder. Commute was about 30-40 minutes with the toll lane. So you work less, have significantly less traffic driving just about anywhere, have sun, have a killer nightlife, better access to skiing. I grew up in Seattle and lived in Denver for around 6 years. I’d pick Denver over both, hands down. Especially as a 20-something. Girls everywhere without it feeling as anonymous as a bigger city like Seattle.

You do have to play the facet and i70 game, though. Which for some people is a no-go.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-01-2019 at 02:24 PM.

(snip) I'm just trying to get a feel for what backcountry skiing mid-winter is like in the greater Seattle area.
    There’s plenty, but you’ll also have a lot of company.

However, Seattle is currently full, so you’ll have to coordinate with @Glademaster for his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Depends. We lived in an awesome hood in Denver and I worked in Boulder. Commute was about 30-40 minutes with the toll lane. So you work less, have significantly less traffic driving just about anywhere, have sun, have a killer nightlife, better access to skiing. I grew up in Seattle and lived in Denver for around 6 years. I’d pick Denver over both, hands down. Especially as a 20-something. Girls everywhere without it feeling as anonymous as a bigger city like Seattle.

You do have to play the facet and i70 game, though. Which for some people is a no-go.
    Thanks for the input. What neighborhood in Denver?

Just stay the fuck out of Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for the input. What neighborhood in Denver?
    Five points. Lots of breweries, bars, restaurants, 20-somethings. Everythings super close together and walkable (or bikeable).

Also, if you like mountain biking a lot, Denver has similar access to Boulder (about 20-30 minutes). The trails that are within that to Boulder aren’t really worth it imo. Its better for trail running and climbing if thats your thing. Even though I worked in Boulder I never biked there. I much preferred driving a little extra before work to bike in Golden, which has better trails.

If we ever move back to the USA, it’ll be to Golden, but that’s a better place once your married and in your 30s with kids. Not much of a nightlife.

But I'm just trying to get a feel for what backcountry skiing mid-winter is like in the greater Seattle area.
    Shoot beardmech a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

There are plenty of 20-somethings in Boulder and it's a good place for people who work from home or flexible jobs so they can be more active (pick your choice of open space activities). It's expensive to rent or buy here and it's pretty crowded but there are opportunities to make money.

Denver has some nice hoods but it's a city for sure. Seattle, just hell no. SLC or Ogden if you can handle the whole Mormon thing. (Disclaimer, I lived in Huntsville UT and Portland OR). If sun is important, skip the PNW!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Didn’t someone on here move from CO to SLC and high tailed it back because the better skiing couldn’t outweigh living in SLC?

and people left Denver for SLC never to come back.

"my neighborhood/living situation was great when I lived there so it's better than every other metro area now" is the distilled essence of "where should I live" threads.

Man, no way would either of these HCOL places be on my radar as a new grad unless I had zero debt, they paid well and had a defined path for advancement at the company or regionally.

Housing costs can eat you alive quickly.

OP sounds like a little bitch who couldn't cut it in either location.

BREAKING NEWS: If you want to get after it, you have to get after it. Both locations will require the same amount of work/dedication to get after it.

Hi the thejonglest! May I suggest that instead of overrated, overhyped and overpriced western quadrant of our continent that you "think outside the box" and instead relocate to the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered,the northeast is the clear choice. The riding is more challenging here due to the variable conditions, the snow is better due to the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking (and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems) as well as a truly more enriching urban and mountain lifestyle. Also the wages are higher, the culture is superior, the history is rich and the "Norman Rockwell" factor is prevalent everywhere you turn.The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?"). If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you!. You will also find that the clientele(as well as your co-workers) will tend to be more educated, cultured and well-rounded, not your typical one-dimensional ungrounded western yahoos. Most every medium-sized city in New England would be better than Seattle or Boulder in every way!
    I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots, NewSchoolers, Pugskiazoids, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi the thejonglest! May I suggest that instead of overrated, overhyped and overpriced western quadrant of our continent that you "think outside the box" and instead relocate to the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered,the northeast is the clear choice. The riding is more challenging here due to the variable conditions, the snow is better due to the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking (and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems) as well as a truly more enriching urban and mountain lifestyle. Also the wages are higher, the culture is superior, the history is rich and the "Norman Rockwell" factor is prevalent everywhere you turn.The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?"). If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you!. You will also find that the clientele(as well as your co-workers) will tend to be more educated, cultured and well-rounded, not your typical one-dimensional ungrounded western yahoos. Most every medium-sized city in New England would be better than Seattle or Boulder in every way!
    I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots, NewSchoolers, Pugskiazoids, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!
    Yes!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Powder day policy makes it for me.
    Boulder is a college town, there is not gonna be a lack of 20 somethings.

Have you considered Rutland, VT?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Powder day policy makes it for me.
    Boulder is a college town, there is not gonna be a lack of 20 somethings.

Have you considered Rutland, VT?

There's a much larger difference between 20 & 25 and 25 & 30. Not to be pretentious (sure I am) I'm not interested in hanging out with undergrads, I'm graduating from grad school.

I guess literally no one has any comments on what backcountry skiing is like midwinter in Seattle?

I guess literally no one has any comments on what backcountry skiing is like midwinter in Seattle?
    Your search game is weak.

Here's some advice --- don't make a huge life decision based on what a small few days (let's say 15 of 365 days) a year might be like for backcountry skiing.

If you're living in the city, bro, you're not going to be a backcountry "midwinter" warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Fuck yeah!