Best 0 Degree Bag for a 6'3 dude

I'm looking for a good cold weather bag for car camping this winter. There are a ton of options but what do people like in terms of best bang for your buck sleeping bags.

I'm also pretty lanky at 6'3 so it has to have an XL version or just be long.

I like the North Face Inferno series. Big Agnes sleep system with bag and pad integration is pretty awesome as well. And I like Big Agnes insulated sleeping pads the most. 6'3" isn't that tall, you'll fit in most long sleeping bags.

I am using western mountaineering antelope. 5* would recommend

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I like the North Face Inferno series. Big Agnes sleep system with bag and pad integration is pretty awesome as well. And I like Big Agnes insulated sleeping pads the most. 6'3" isn't that tall, you'll fit in most long sleeping bags.
    If I can get a pro deal from a buddy I think I’ll grab the inferno 0. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I have the Big Agnes Anvil Horn 15 degree with the sleep system. I'm 6'3 and the long fits perfect. Also the sleep system is a total home run but I was coming 15 year old gear so maybe modern stuff all feels that awesome

Just picked up a Sea to Summit Latitude III- it's a 1 degree bag with 750 down, a good compromise between high-priced ultralights at 850+ down and the standard car-camping 650 fill bags that are heavier. I think it's a bomb compromise bag for some winter backpack/ski tour trips but also car camping. Best thing about it is the bottom zips all the way open and it's a fairly wide-cut bag so you can open it up and use it as a quilt. MountainSteals has some for just over $300. Also it's Dri-down so when you're fogging the car up and it's snowing buckets outside, the down stays lofted.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I am using western mountaineering antelope. 5* would recommend
    yeah Western Mountaineering is pretty much the only real answer to almost any "what zero degree sleeping bag?" question

Is it only for car camping? If so I would get one of the square heavy canvas/cloth bags. They are much more comfy. I spend a big chunk of the fall in one on a cot in a wall tent. Mummy bags suck unless you need them.

Truth. its hard to jerk off in a mummy bag.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    Is it only for car camping? If so I would get one of the square heavy canvas/cloth bags. They are much more comfy. I spend a big chunk of the fall in one on a cot in a wall tent. Mummy bags suck unless you need them.
    For now it’s only for car camping but I’m sure I’ll be kicking my past self at some point. Does the extra space allow for heat loss though? My Prius is fucking cold

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    yeah Western Mountaineering is pretty much the only real answer to almost any "what zero degree sleeping bag?" question
    I bet but it’s a lotta pricey

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Just picked up a Sea to Summit Latitude III- it's a 1 degree bag with 750 down, a good compromise between high-priced ultralights at 850+ down and the standard car-camping 650 fill bags that are heavier. I think it's a bomb compromise bag for some winter backpack/ski tour trips but also car camping. Best thing about it is the bottom zips all the way open and it's a fairly wide-cut bag so you can open it up and use it as a quilt. MountainSteals has some for just over $300. Also it's Dri-down so when you're fogging the car up and it's snowing buckets outside, the down stays lofted.
    I’ll definitely check it out

If it's only for car camping, don't overthink it. If you'll someday carry it in a backpack, I can recommend the Feathered Friends long wide models. My FF Eider (-10F) has been going strong for nearly 20 years. The extra width allows you to wear a down puffy inside the bag to extend the temp range.

Quote Originally Posted by bowboybb View Post
    For now it’s only for car camping but I’m sure I’ll be kicking my past self at some point. Does the extra space allow for heat loss though? My Prius is fucking cold

No I wouldn't say you lose heat, I'd say they're equally as warm. I'll agree that the cloth sleeping bags are much more comfortable but I only seem to care if it's longer trips, like 5 nights in a row type of thing. Downside is they're heavy as hell (so no backpacking) and they take up a lot more room than a mummy bag. I haven't bought one in a while but I'd imagine they're cheaper than a mummy bag because they don't have to try and be lightweight. If I was just doing car camping and wasn't worried about space and going for best bang for your buck, I'd probably go with one of these

I'm 6' 2" and I find my Nemo Sonic 0 (size long) to be very roomy and comfortable. A little pricey at $500, I used a REI 20% coupon + dividend to subsidize my purchase.

The Sonic has 2 heat vents on the chest area (not all the way through, so no draft) that you can open/close. With the vents open it more like a 20°F bag. Nice to have some versatility.

I think I’ll either grab a super heavy cloth bag(good idea brundo). Or grab a western mountaineering bag. Gotta figure out if I’m going to be doing any winter camping.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    No I wouldn't say you lose heat, I'd say they're equally as warm. I'll agree that the cloth sleeping bags are much more comfortable but I only seem to care if it's longer trips, like 5 nights in a row type of thing. Downside is they're heavy as hell (so no backpacking) and they take up a lot more room than a mummy bag. I haven't bought one in a while but I'd imagine they're cheaper than a mummy bag because they don't have to try and be lightweight. If I was just doing car camping and wasn't worried about space and going for best bang for your buck, I'd probably go with one of these
    Yup. They are just as warm in my experience. Take about twice as much room and weigh about 3 times as much. Nice feature is you typically can unzip them into more of a larger blanket. Mine was from cabelas but there are a ton of options out there. The more expensive options are the multi bag systems. If I had to carry this anywhere except from my truck to a tent I would be looking for a different option. For that purpose though they are awesome. You have better pad options as well if you don’t need inflatables.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    Yup. They are just as warm in my experience. Take about twice as much room and weigh about 3 times as much. Nice feature is you typically can unzip them into more of a larger blanket. Mine was from cabelas but there are a ton of options out there. The more expensive options are the multi bag systems. If I had to carry this anywhere except from my truck to a tent I would be looking for a different option. For that purpose though they are awesome. You have better pad options as well if you don’t need inflatables.
    This heavy bag looks pretty rad. Is this super overpriced? Can’t really get a feel for what will do the job

https://slumberjack.com/country-squire-0-sleeping-bag/

Western Mountaineering

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bowboybb View Post
    This heavy bag looks pretty rad. Is this super overpriced? Can’t really get a feel for what will do the job

https://slumberjack.com/country-squire-0-sleeping-bag/

I think it's overpriced but I usually don't spend much money on "camping gear". I don't find there's much of a difference YMMV. I'd go for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ...=fsclp_pl_dp_3 Alps is a pretty decent cheapo brand in my experience, once again, YMMV.

The removable liner is a nice feature for cleaning it. It’s definitely on the high side though price wise. The real pricey options have double bags for big temperature shifts. Any zero degree bag should be fine for sleeping in a car.