School me on roku, fire, apple tv.....

So we have an aging “smart tv” that we can still pull up Netflix but it no longer supports amazon prime. I have a cord from my computer where i can drag a page up to the big screen and watch shows that way. We have prime and amazon and then whatever I can pull up on the web. We are balls deep in the apple ecosystem and have a bias to apple tv.
    Having said that, why do people get these side boxes? Is it worth it? Given what I described, is there a benefit to dropping the 175 bucks? Talk me into, or out of one of these gadgets please.

Search function
    Plenny of info here already

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

pffft. The "use the search function" guys are funny. He can post whatever the fuck he wants just like anybody.

I just started fucking around with a Roku Streaming Stick+ , it's only $29. on Amazon and seems pretty slick. It's small and should be good for a tv on a bracket, but we'll see since I had to get Roku to send me an adapter to fit this tv (at least it's free). It's not clear when you look at the ads but it needs a power source but if your tv has a usb port or there's an outlet handy you're good

I'm probably gonna go with Youtube TV with it, I've been reading about how to stream NFL games and it's not the simplest thing. MLB is much more straightforward. I don't mind the $50/mo., it's way cheaper than the DirecTV I'm trying to ditch. But with DirecTV I got all the NFL, MLB and NHL games, that's probably gonna be impossible to pull off. But for over $200/month less I'll deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    pffft. The "use the search function" guys are funny. He can post whatever the fuck he wants just like anybody.

lighten up, Francis. I posted a thread about this a while back. Plenty of good feedback. Ended up with the fire stick. Works well. I just figured it would be redundant to go over this all over again. oh, but have at it. I would post a link to the thread but I don't know how to use a search function.

Pffft ?
    PSH !

https://youtu.be/BeK7KE53cWE

There's a guy on thehulltruth northeast forum that does that "search function" shit all the fucking time, I may have been reacting more to him than to you.

But instead of scolding op about the search function, a link to the other thread might have been the friendly thing to post.

Literally spent the last hour using search function on ios. I found 2 things: the first one is Jack, the second one is Shit. Willy please post up these links, inquiring minds......

Its weird. the functionality on my Galaxy S7 it's not friendly with tapatalk and tgr forum apps. I will try but it was a lot easier when I had a PC

No sweat, ice. I should have posted links.
    Funny, can't find MY thread. Lots of good beta here

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

This thread has a discussion of streaming services and devices:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...tting-the-cord

I have a Samsung Smart TV but use a Roku box instead of the built in apps. The Roku seems to buffer less and runs smoother.

I have not used any of the other streaming devices, like Apple or Fire, so can't compare. I have used a Blu Ray player for this, but the Roku is faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Want to pull the trigger on a Roku, but they don't have a device that supports Dolby Vision. New TV does, and it's a sick picture. But new TV's processor is slow as balls so the UI (Android TV) is laggy. Complaining wife.

May just buy the Roku and use it for everything except things I know are Dolby Vision content (i.e. The Mandalorian, some other Disney shit, some Netflix stuff, etc.).

Roku UI is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I need to figure out this Kodi thing

Had to Pony up for a free week trial with CBS to watch the Patriots yesterday. Totally worth it, despite a devastating loss

We just picked up another TV that has Roku built in, after Netflix dropped support for our ancient WD-TV unit a few weeks ago. What I really want is an Nvidia Shield TV Pro (ethernet, up to date support for Netflix and other services, plus it lets you pair it with an external hard drive that has your entire music collection and more on it), but for now I'll just use the TV for streaming, and keep using the old WD-TV for stored media.

I know it's a little off the topic, but related. Since I scored the echo Dot from Amazon. It has me hooked. I just scored another one for cheap, minus the speaker. Stuck in the bathroom with a Bluetooth speaker. It's kind of freaky mama, being in the shower and saying Alexa play blah blah blah. What's the weather? I think a big brother is listening anyway over cell phones constantly so my paranoia has waned. Anybody else? In the meantime, fire stick needs to have the Kodi hack oh, another work in progress. The Xbox One it's pretty good for music and other media

If you're reading this between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. eastern standard time, tune in to my buddy dr. Gonzo show on wcuw radio in Worcester. You won't be disappointed