Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Ghost signals sure sound like someone nearby didn't turn off their cell phone. Were the ghosts intermittent, like every minute and then gone? I suspected the ghosts were my cell phone making periodic data queries. Ghosts stopped soon as I shut off my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Telemarketeer View Post
    Iíve always used Trackers. Simple and easy to use without a ton of bells and whistles I donít need. Theyíve helped me locate buried people so Iíd say they did their job fine. Range has been sufficient as well.
    Usually replace when new model comes out or every 5 ish years.
    Just got the Tracker S... looks pretty functionally like a Tracker 3 for a simpleton like myself. Anyone have thoughts on it?

My Barryvox S arrives Wednesday, looking forward to testing the new features. Really couldnít find anything negative about it. Probably spent too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Can you pump oil back into a well, like they do with pumping sea water into one? Might be a good idea to explore that option...
    It's a bit like putting a shit back in someone's colon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Ghost signals sure sound like someone nearby didn't turn off their cell phone. Were the ghosts intermittent, like every minute and then gone? I suspected the ghosts were my cell phone making periodic data queries. Ghosts stopped soon as I shut off my phone.

Maybe soome guy was buried with a Nokia 3310 and it's still working. I tried my ortovox side by side with the barryvox and the barryvox constantly outperforms it. I practice with it a lot so I know it's quirks, but I would not trust lending it to friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post

As for the "Being all over the place", I have no idea what that means or your experience level and we are again wandering off topic and into, "My beacon is better than your Beacon".

On the contrary, this is "My beacon is shittier than your beacon".

When to upgrade beacon

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Yes. Latest firmware, no recalls. Stored in thier retail boxes, cool, dry, dark place. No batteries. Turned on and tested when purchased, but never used.

Don't have all the extra options or speed of newer 2018/2019 DSP Pro units, but we've been fine using our DSP Originals, so I'd assume no difference in performance or reliability from those.

Heck, the only reason I was considering retiring our current in-use DSP Originals is because we're coming up on 5 or 6 years of use. Our current in-use pair still seem to work fine as new, as far as we can tell.

I personally think the NIB DSP Originals I re-discovered will be fine, but I wanted to hear from the collective in case I'm missing something or not considering some factor.
    My original DSP just went out of warranty last month. It was registered with Pieps and I just called BD about it. They said as long as it field tests and has the latest firmware (v 8.2) it still should be fine this winter.

Any current deals out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    My original DSP just went out of warranty last month. It was registered with Pieps and I just called BD about it. They said as long as it field tests and has the latest firmware (v 8.2) it still should be fine this winter.
    Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Thanks for the info.
    That being said, I did get an RA number and plan on mailing it to the them to run a full test.

That being said, I did get an RA number and plan on mailing it to the them to run a full test.
    Yes. Good call. Based on your post, I was going to contact Pieps/BD and get an official recommendation.

Yes. Good call. Based on your post, I was going to contact Pieps/BD and get an official recommendation.
    As a follow up, I just received a beacon back from BD/Pieps. It's not the 5 year old DSP Pro I mailed in, but instead they sent me a brand new Pieps Powder BT! I am very grateful for the brand new beacon but I'm a little ambivalent as it is new to me and I now have a learning curve with this new transceiver.

Does anyone have any experience or insight into this model that you can pass along?

As a follow up, I just received a beacon back from BD/Pieps. It's not the 5 year old DSP Pro I mailed in, but instead they sent me a brand new Pieps Powder BT! I am very grateful for the brand new beacon but I'm a little ambivalent as it is new to me and I now have a learning curve with this new transceiver.

Does anyone have any experience or insight into this model that you can pass along?
    Crazy!

We're doing a bunch of tours in Feb and March so I'll get on sending these back to Pieps.

Thanks for the follow-up info!

It's more of a revision than a new beacon. The basic functionality isn't dramatically different.
    I haven't used the new ones very much, but the one notable thing I noticed is the marking button has changed. The old one you held the button down until it marked. The new one you just press and release.
    I'm sure there are other differences too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It's more of a revision than a new beacon. The basic functionality isn't dramatically different.
    I haven't used the new ones very much, but the one notable thing I noticed is the marking button has changed. The old one you held the button down until it marked. The new one you just press and release.
    I'm sure there are other differences too.
    Thanks, J. Working my way through the manual for now and then time to practice, practice, practice.