Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Holy shit! I hope the rest of your season is blessed with great conditions after that one! I also hope that you either have a great “glass only deductible” clause in your insurance, or you don’t have one of those fancy windshields with heating elements under the wiper rests like I do!

Sucks to have mis-timed the storm cycles by 2 days, that’s the freakin weather gods for yah. Come back to Oregon for spring fun at Bachy (or any other volcanos) which tends to be more predictable and less crowded. Or for pedaling season, before or after fire season of course. Smoke seems to start at end of July and persist into mid Sept. Hopefully our state treats you better next time!

(Spoken of course like a true transplant who has only been here 3 years but talks like a lifer)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That sucks Calif. Thankful you folks are ok. Next time when you come down let me know and I'll hook you up with lift tixs.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Haha! hope you’re alright. Backie fail? Show us some video!
    Not even a daffy was planned. Not enough speed coming up the lip as I was breaking trail and teeter tottered the top with no speed, awkwardly flailed my drop and landed forward ending with a face plant. It was soft so felt pretty good sniffing around in the snow. Got redemption next run but no footy to show for it

I reckon it’s gonna be crusty off piste today

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Holy shit! I hope the rest of your season is blessed with great conditions after that one! I also hope that you either have a great “glass only deductible” clause in your insurance, or you don’t have one of those fancy windshields with heating elements under the wiper rests like I do!

Sucks to have mis-timed the storm cycles by 2 days, that’s the freakin weather gods for yah. Come back to Oregon for spring fun at Bachy (or any other volcanos) which tends to be more predictable and less crowded. Or for pedaling season, before or after fire season of course. Smoke seems to start at end of July and persist into mid Sept. Hopefully our state treats you better next time!

(Spoken of course like a true transplant who has only been here 3 years but talks like a lifer)
    Yeah its 2004 4runner that had a couple cracks in the windshield already (glad i didnt get those fixed previously haha). my deductible is $250 and the last couple times ive had to use my insurance ive claimed the windshield too which just barely covered my deductible, so it should be around $300ish. not too bad. I was mostly down in OR to see a good buddy anyways so skiing was secondary. I usually spend 3-4 days each spring skiing bachelor (and playing Wigi Creek on the drive back to bend) and have hit it good way more often than i should have. Its weather, gotta pay your nickel and take your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    That sucks Calif. Thankful you folks are ok. Next time when you come down let me know and I'll hook you up with lift tixs.
    yup, thanks. got fairly lucky, i think considering all the ways it could have gotten worse. Fun little hill and cheap, easy to get beer (as long as you get it from the beer stand not the bar haha).

californiagrown, glad it didn’t cause further issues...seems lucky to have been limited to vehicle damage. Glad you’re ok...

windshields with sensors in them are a hard no for me as replacment can be ridiculous. sounds like a harrowing drive thinking about the windshield to the face. Ice fall from trees was actually a huge hazard on hood on Sunday. Wonder if anyone went down

I just declined the "sensor recalibration" upcharge. Everything works like it used to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Hoodoo on Saturday was very wet and heavy, but atleast it was soft. Just had to really keep speed up or it got grabby. Fun turns, with minimal visibility were had. Introduced my lady to the joys of raincorn. Utter carnage everywhere. Every lift ride i saw 2 or 3 people collecting stuff from a full yardsale.

Sunday was very crowded, almost completely refrozen, locked up chunder and crust... but views were unlimited. Then a snowbomb from a tree caught me driving home which pushed in the passenger side of my windshield spiderwebbing the whole thing. drove the next 80 minutes to salem where i found a gas station vacumn to clean up the shattered glass throughout the car, said a few prayers for rain to hold off, and drove the 5 hours home to seattle with wind whistling through the windshield hoping the wind wouldnt push it back into my face.
    Glad you were not hurt. We drove Santiam sunday also, and bombs were dropping all over the place. On hard hit, but no crack.

I took a shot to the noggin' with about 30 lbs of heavy wet sluff coming off the tree branches on a ski tour Sunday morning. Of course I don't wear a helmet for ski touring. Got out of the trees as the snow bombs kept falling all around me.

On the brighter side, it's snowing up at Bachy with 5" on the snow stake.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

3-6" new on afirm base, snowing hard with some winds. Vis soso. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200121_105928.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	731.0 KB 
ID:	311808
    Get sideways oye
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Dropped my change for a nickel somewhere around here
    Lawn dart mode, engage!

The pole being parallel to the skis adds some nice symmetry to the moment. Glad you were ok.

Hi there Oregon mags. The GF & I are heading to BC via Seattle from Tahoe for a little road trip in the RV.

Where should we stop for a tour along the way? Bend is a comfortable day's drive, so we'd be in central OR tomorrow (Wed) night & touring Thurs. Mt Bailey came up in searches, but I'm unsure how the snow is there now. Should we press on to Hood? TIA for any suggestions!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    3-6" new on afirm base, snowing hard with some winds. Vis soso. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200121_105928.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	731.0 KB 
ID:	311808
    Get sideways oye
    Medicating for your ankle?

Ankles good in the boot. DMSO. No more inside ski 1 footed drills in soft snow. Meow & I skied some nice lines. Those tt80s ripped. Lower sunrise lot for coffee & safety meeting in the meow machine am.

See you both there.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Hi there Oregon mags. The GF & I are heading to BC via Seattle from Tahoe for a little road trip in the RV.

Where should we stop for a tour along the way? Bend is a comfortable day's drive, so we'd be in central OR tomorrow (Wed) night & touring Thurs. Mt Bailey came up in searches, but I'm unsure how the snow is there now. Should we press on to Hood? TIA for any suggestions!
    That’s a tough one, snow levels are supposed to rise tomorrow night to like 7000 ft along the passes and stay there through Friday. Bachelor and other peaks just east of the passes may not get as much rain and have slightly lower elevation freezing levels than west slope.

I woulda told you Crater Lake but that could be a mashed potato fest along with most road accessible peaks along the crest. Paulina could be above freezing levels but you’ll be fucking with a shallow new windslab, not the worst of enemies but still something to respect. Tree skiing above rain line on Hood might be in play, if you are good in heavy spackle.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

hood forecast

Hood looks like a no go during that timeframe. Lots of precip and FL 6 to 7k. Hit it on the way back down?

If that cats are running, Bailey would be a very sweet spot but I doubt they will be running this week.

Bachelor is fun along with Meadows on Mt Hood.

It may be worth stopping by Crater Lake. Not sure how the touring will be there but it would be a fun stop either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of traffic to meadows already, van bit the dust just before access road, luckily in a wide area. People stuck on access road. The chaos begins. I wish you all the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mb9fdb View Post
    Lots of traffic to meadows already, van bit the dust just before access road, luckily in a wide area. People stuck on access road. The chaos begins. I wish you all the best of luck.
    sorry to hear the van died

while you’re waiting for assistance, take time to change your license plate handle on here

signed, mag subscription mgr,
    M series JONG
    PM me your favorite stashes, I'll send you a pic of skidog's tits

Cresting a 100' base in mid Jan comes with a price and we're about to pay it, FML... Hopefully it turns around. And if it doesn't, It'll at least be cool to be able to host the first ever summit-to-lodge pond skim.

Previous posts have been too optimistic about what's coming down the weather pike. I would turn around and see if the weather will follow you back down to cali (please?). Whether it was you or someone else, forecasts show the biggest dose of the R-word in any January as long as I can remember.

You're basically completely fucked if you want to ski anywhere within a 2 hour detour from your travel route in OR. Mt. Hood is completely out of the question. Swim goggles and water wings for the next week and a half. Bachy is your best and only bet. Earlier and higher the better.

Quote Originally Posted by M series JONG View Post
    sorry to hear the van died

while you’re waiting for assistance...
    Not his van JONG. *A* van.

Throughout the Cascades, Avi hazard is going from Considerable today to High on Thursday, at and above tree line, as the rain sets in. Water loading will cause high altitude wet slides that can runout for literally miles. Seems like this means the odds increase substantially for another big slide in Mt Hood’s Clark and Heather Canyons for the remainder of the season.

Is it a gnarlier than average year in all of the Northwest states, or am I just more attuned to it lately? I can’t tell.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Cresting a 100' base in mid Jan comes with a price and we're about to pay it, FML... Hopefully it turns around. And if it doesn't, It'll at least be cool to be able to host the first ever summit-to-lodge pond skim.

Previous posts have been too optimistic about what's coming down the weather pike. I would turn around and see if the weather will follow you back down to cali (please?). Whether it was you or someone else, forecasts show the biggest dose of the R-word in any January as long as I can remember.

You're basically completely fucked if you want to ski anywhere within a 2 hour detour from your travel route in OR. Mt. Hood is completely out of the question. Swim goggles and water wings for the next week and a half. Bachy is your best and only bet. Earlier and higher the better.

Not his van JONG. *A* van.
    Mattig, Thanks for the weather beta...I am also going to brave the moist precip at Bachy this coming weekend from away....Sat and Sun...wife and I...Legend X106s, Green pants(because forecast, Gore Tex)...if any one wants to say HI, make some turns, Ive been told I can Keep Up, but hey prove me wrong ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Throughout the Cascades, Avi hazard is going from Considerable today to High on Thursday, at and above tree line, as the rain sets in. Water loading will cause high altitude wet slides that can runout for literally miles. Seems like this means the odds increase substantially for another big slide in Mt Hood’s Clark and Heather Canyons for the remainder of the season.

Is it a gnarlier than average year in all of the Northwest states, or am I just more attuned to it lately? I can’t tell.
    I’ll admit that this season I’m still following Sierra avalanche observations way more than NWAC, COAC, and Idaho Panhandle ... but why would you think that Clark and Heather canyons would be at higher susceptibility for the rest of the season? The typical mechanism for such a season long concern would be early season basal facets or near crust facets that are deeply buried, not totally reactive, but still prone to propagation. Have you heard anything about such a setup, or similar, this season? Big wet slide danger goes away once temps drop and refreezes get stronger.

High freezing levels with rain on snow events has been a PNW fact of life like 2 out of every 3 seasons, feel free to call me out on that!

Idaho is a different story and has a crappy setup this year, I get the sense that early season snow plus dry spells created multiple facet layers that were heavily loaded by the big storms that hit during the first 2 weeks of the year. Those problems don’t go away quickly unless everything avalanches (not as common there as in coastal mountains) or goes melt freeze.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I'm with you schralph - don't think we will see increased probability of a huge newton, heather, or clark canyon slide for the remaining season due to this next storm.

This next ra*n storm will likely lubricate the snowpack during the event, but following the event and subsequent refreeze, I would expect somewhat increased stability due to consolidation and settlement.

I like to think of it as a mini pre-spring consolidation event.

Dust off your PVC gear, smile, and hit the slopes. "It's good for the base."