Page 38 of 70 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Silent Rock has been desecrated since they gutted the road.
    Yup. And superstitions are for the weak minded

People making bad choices is whats getting them in trouble. And all the rain events, plus thaw freeze event have made this years snowpack challenging

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post
    she/he is a Beauty!! Ideal color/coat imo

Current Canine companion is a 55# Yellow/Golden mix at 15 months(same coloring as above, often mistaken for pure Lab)
    Previous: AKC Yellow American Style about 75# - Miss that one alot (she too had the darker, almost Red Coat)

Great repose above btw
    Thanks. His sire is actually famous. Was in a Budweiser commercial as a puppy. I'm biased for sure, but he gets an incredible amount of fawning over and compliments for being one handsome dog. But he loves to go ski touring with me, and that's a good dog trait to have!

Here's Bodie's dad as a puppy -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_3lITiK_Q
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Alot of bad juju on mt hood recently.
    And right when the Clackistani sheriff attempted to disband the S&R groups. Apparently he has come to his senses and abandoned that push.

popular this week on TGR:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/story/n...rate-incidents

Doesn't reflect #3... For him to wind up in the flats near ill saddle, maybe he was climbing around castle crags? Attempting to get to Reid? Could a slide down the west crater rim end at ill saddle? Seems to me that you would have to be skiing the snowfield adjacent to castle crags, real close to the ridge, for a fall-line into the flats at the saddle. Maybe an accident on the Reid and he was mobile enough to climb up to the saddle? That would explain the lack of skis.

If you want to get yourself real worked up, read the letters to the editor from the oregonian regarding Meadows' culpability in these accidents. Needless to say that I don't share the opinion that it is Meadows' responsibility to ensure my safety.
    The Hardest Workin' Man in Snow-Business

Like this one? Puke. expecting the mountain to go out and put orange cones all over the place for ice

https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2...ety-first.html

Readers respond: Mt. Hood Meadows must put safety first
    Posted Feb 26, 7:00 AM
    Letters to the editor
    shares
    By Letters to the editor
    In response to “‘I thought I was going to die’: Skier recounts terrifying fall on same slope where snowboarder died at Mt. Hood Meadows” (Feb. 20): I can attest that Mt. Hood Meadows is the most poorly marked resort I have ever skied. As a lifelong skier, I have experienced many kinds of snow conditions. Invisible ice is one of the worst situations for skiers and snowboarders at any level of ability. My heart goes out to the families who lost a loved one recently at Mt. Hood Meadows under those conditions.

Unfortunately, this was not the first weekend this season that Meadows did not mark these invisible icy areas, as both my daughter and I fell as we skied near the ski patrol hut. As we stood below, we watched others hit the same patch of ice over and over. As the general manager of Mt. Hood Meadows, Greg Pack needs to reevaluate how the resort prepares for its volume of guests. I have ridden the lifts countless times at Mt. Hood Meadows, pointing out to my children areas within visible range that have not been marked but should be (crevices not notable descending the mountain, wide drop-offs that have a single marker up but wouldn’t be seen from a different angle, sheets of ice and large rock outcroppings across bowls and trails). The cost of additional ski patrol in the early hours, as well as more netting, bamboo poles and flags, should be the highest priority after this tragedy at Mt. Hood Meadows.

Valerie Rice, Tualatin

3 guys, all late 40's dudes who were otherwise reasonably expert skiers

a little too close to home there for me

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Like this one? Puke. expecting the mountain to go out and put orange cones all over the place for ice
    That’s the one I was most incensed at.

Invisible ice? How can patrol mark it.... if they can’t see it?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

I feel you there big A. Back in 2017 when an expert went missing in jacks/liftline: I must have skied past him 20x in two days. I was hot-lapping Ho Chi Minh solo, non-stop. So was he. Until he wasn’t.

I literally felt the spectre of death following me around after that. Made me realize that you can only do so much before it’s just a numbers game. I definitely toned it down after that incident.

If you could see how you were going to die, and if that premonition involved death while skiing/in the mountains, could you give up those pursuits if doing so would allow you to die in your sleep as an old man?

If you couldn't give them up despite that prescience, would your loved ones accept that choice?

If you could, would you feel that you were living a less fulfilling life?

Except they weren't "expert" skiers. An expert knows when to NOT ski a run...and an expert doesn't fall when they hit a patch of "invisible ice"...

Everybody should call Kale Williams at the Oregonian, 503-294-4048, and give them a "real skiers" account of how they handle Heather on a nasty condition day. Kale said dozens called to say how "treacherous" conditions were on Presidents Day. I was the only person to call that said it was possibly the skiers fault for the decisions they made that day, maybe they aren't really experts...and wasn't MHM's fault for their accident for opening Heather

I just got off the phone with Kale Williams trying to give him a different prospective on the incidents. He seemed to think his article "when a ski run turns deadly" was fair and accurate.
    Expert skiers know when not to ski a run or an certain area. Expert, or even advanced skiers can tell when there's ice. Kale is a snowboarder and an ex lift op, so he knows it all too. Kale brushed me off like I didn't know what I was talking about. I told him I've been heli skiing, skied for 41 years, also an ex lift op, but he still acted arrogant and nonchalant about my opinion on skiers need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    If you could see how you were going to die, and if that premonition involved death while skiing/in the mountains, could you give up those pursuits if doing so would allow you to die in your sleep as an old man?

If you couldn't give them up despite that prescience, would your loved ones accept that choice?

no

they'd have to

yes

Sliding on snow is risky, steeper slopes=more risk. I'd go fucking mad sitting on my ass all day. I got a cold on Sunday and have been inside most of the week, going stir crazy so bad I'm considering skiing Meadows on a Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidFromFL View Post
    I feel you there big A. Back in 2017 when an expert went missing in jacks/liftline: I must have skied past him 20x in two days. I was hot-lapping Ho Chi Minh solo, non-stop. So was he. Until he wasn’t.

I literally felt the spectre of death following me around after that. Made me realize that you can only do so much before it’s just a numbers game. I definitely toned it down after that incident.
    stay on the right side of the line

I don't think expert skiers are immune for slides for life on ice they didn't expect, but I also don't think it should be expected that patrol is going to mark those kinds of things for you when you partake in sliding on the side of mountains which have variable conditions throughout every day/hour. I can relate to these accidents though as I've gotten myself into bad situations - been in a tree well, inbounds avalanche in lower S&R, fallen in bad spots, on top of hood in bad weather, etc. I could also see my sons at some point venturing into similarly treacherous situations caught off guard in a ski resort, so all I can do is be and make them aware that shit can and does go down when skiing

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Thanks. His sire is actually famous. Was in a Budweiser commercial as a puppy. I'm biased for sure, but he gets an incredible amount of fawning over and compliments for being one handsome dog. But he loves to go ski touring with me, and that's a good dog trait to have!

Here's Bodie's dad as a puppy -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_3lITiK_Q
    so great! cool dog cred!

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Except they weren't "expert" skiers
    i guess i give them a little more leeway to describe their own abilities (or have friends & family do it). i don't know them. I certainly have made poor decisions before.

you're not wrong on assessing terrain or self-assessing ability; but we all can get lackadaisical; and i have a hard time piling on these folks when they clearly got into trouble

I AM a little dismayed at the letter-to-the-editor's suggestion to tame the out-of-gates. Gated terrain is very clearly marked as dangerous/unmarked with suggestions to have a partner & appropriate gear/training. It is not for everyone.

i guess i give them a little more leeway to describe their own abilities (or have friends & family do it). i don't know them. I certainly have made poor decisions before.

you're not wrong on assessing terrain or self-assessing ability; but we all can get lackadaisical; and i have a hard time piling on these folks when they clearly got into trouble

I AM a little dismayed at the letter-to-the-editor's suggestion to tame the out-of-gates. Gated terrain is very clearly marked as dangerous/unmarked with suggestions to have a partner & appropriate gear/training. It is not for everyone.
    I am definitely not piling on, just giving a different perspective from someone who may respect the mountain more then they do. And I don't place the blame on MHM for opening terrain, no one made these people ski the slopes they got hurt on.

And yes, I've made my fair share of stupid decisions, and that makes me more careful on my decisions now.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post

https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2...ety-first.html
    Ha, person has definitely never skied in South America. I imploded onto a cat track about 10 years back while skiing at Bariloche. Talk about lack of markings....and maybe lack of visibility.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

X2

Not that it would have necessarily made a difference... but self arrest skills are important.

After my little bro took a long slide in the bowl at Bachelor we trained and practiced on the regular.

Late 40s one becomes complacent. You are more conservative and rarely fall. Even if they had self arrest skills it was likely rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post

1) No
    2) Not sure, but I guess so
    3) Yes

I agree there are some inherent risks in snow sliding, but I ride a goddamn road bike as well as bike commuting so I obviously have decided that my life is worthless. I've never looked into the stats, but I have the impression that biking near cars is way more dangerous than skiing/snowboarding. (For one thing, you know a tree won't go out of its way to clip you.)

I've lost a friend and had another one paralyzed while biking...so I understand what FatKidfromFL said about the spectre of death following him around. But at the end of the day, I'd rather take my chances and have fun outside than spend the next few decades watching TV on the couch.

Vibes to all. Just my 2 cents but I am totally convinced that even the best can have an accident that costs them everything. Too many that I look up to have experienced just that. This last Monday the 24th was 10 years since CR Johnson passed away at Squaw
    SIP

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I am definitely not piling on, just giving a different perspective from someone who may respect the mountain more then they do. And I don't place the blame on MHM for opening terrain, no one made these people ski the slopes they got hurt on.

And yes, I've made my fair share of stupid decisions, and that makes me more careful on my decisions now.
    totally

💯

We can drive above endless cliffs.

Can’t blame odot or whomever builds the roads for some guy taking a tumble off a rappel

Gonna disagree with ya just a little bit, K2. Expert skiers were definitely hitting unexpected ice and falling that weekend. The difference is that the expert skiers in my group were being conservative enough on the exploratory runs to self arrest. If we were bombing the whole run the way the snowfall totals suggested, things might have been different.

After run 1, we vetoed open bowls. Trees were OK, but that only lasted one conservative run as well.

The issue with mhm coming under criticism is unfortunate. The ice was gradually uncovered as more people skied it. One tentative side slipper could have easily changed boot deep goodness into the wrong kind of slip n slide. I bet it skied great for patrol.

Hey fatty Matty! Did I miss the part where you moved back to town? Not that I can keep up with you, but still!

I remember that Jack's woods incident because that was the winter my kid and I really discovered that run (in fact you were there the first time he skied it). My takeaway: don't ski trees after big dumps without a partner and a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
    A bit off topic but anyone got recommendations for a good ski boot/fitting shop here in PDX? Relatively new to the sport and looking to invest in some quality footwear. Any advice is appreciated.
    Greg at https://www.bootsandmore.ski/ is awesome. He’s out in Troutdale, and also works a few days a week in Hood River. Best bet is to call the number on the website, and talk to him and set up an appointment. He’ll do most of, if not all of the work while you’re there, until your boot fit is dialed in. I can’t speak highly enough of him.

People that expect meadows to mark every rollover, rock, shrub, and patch of ice should probably stick to green groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    My takeaway: don't ski trees after big dumps without a partner and a plan.
    After a close call with a tree well a few years back, this is something that I think about often:

The last person in your group to ski the steep and/or deep is effectively solo. When seconds count (burial, SIS), waiting for your downhill partner to recognize the problem, transition to uphill mode, wallow or skin up to you, locate you, and clear your airway is a scary prospect.

The pursuit of steep and deep snow is a dangerous game. Pros, experts, and people with impeccable technique die all the time. Be safe out there.