Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Given the unexpected encounters with the hard stuff this past weekend, despite lots of new measured snowfall, I wonder if that played a role in the accidents. I was really disappointed to see mhm refer to Sunday as a "10 out of 10"." It definitely wasn't.

My understanding is that Mr Bauters ended up in the open creek/waterfall near the moon exit. Don't recall any ice around the traverse there and the recent snow has bonded pretty well to the ice in most places.
    Last edited by river59; 02-19-2020 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    My understanding is that Mr Bauters ended up in the open creek/waterfall near the moon exit. Don't recall any ice around the traverse there and the recent snow has bonded pretty well to the ice in most places.
    Yes, Sunday was much less sketchy than Saturday. Didn't ski Monday, but Luk's note above is spooky. Looking around the mountain over the weekend, we saw a lot of people who drove up for the "epic pow" end up very surprised by massive, exposed slabs of gray or blue ice.

Good points. I forgot that he went missing o Friday. Sleep deprivation is a hell of a drug.

Anybody planning on making the trek for superb(owl) turns today?

I was there Friday and Monday, there was way less ice on Monday. On Friday, there were was gusting in Heather that was causing white-out conditions for short periods, 30 seconds at a time or so. The visibility issue arose on my second lap and I decided to ski elsewhere after that.

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    Anybody planning on making the trek for superb(owl) turns today?
    i didn't need to read that...

tho I do hope one of you closer-to-the-hill mags gets some

Anyone heading to MHM Thursday? I'll be in HRM lot.

How many are going to the Bachy Mini 3/28-3/30?

This is cool;
    SUNCHASER SPRING 2 OF 3 DAY TICKET
    If you have a 2019-20 winter season pass to any other ski area or have a multi-resort season pass, Mt. Bachelor has a Sunchaser Spring special for you: a 2 of 3 day lift ticket for up to 50% off the regular price! The 2 of 3 day lift ticket is perfect for a weekend getaway, as it allows for two days of skiing/riding in a consecutive three-day period. Ski two days in a row, or take a day off between the two days - the choice is yours.

The Sunchaser Spring 2 of 3 Day Ticket is valid to use starting Monday, April 13 and will expire after Sunday, May 24. Show your 2019-20 winter season pass from another ski area (or multi-resort pass) at one of our ticket windows in order to receive the 2 of 3 day lift ticket.

Employees from other ski areas: you're welcome to take advantage of this offer as well!

How long has Bachelor been @ $119. Doesn't seem like enough...

Late start today.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    How long has Bachelor been @ $119. Doesn't seem like enough...

Late start today.
    Save $10 by purchasing on line, or is that the online price? Seems like I see a lot of folks at the ticket window every weekend, so someone is paying full price.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

You still gotta go to ticket window to pick up previously purchased tickets in many cases.

Moon Bowl confirmed as the site of the slide for life this past weekend

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...d-meadows.html

Anyone go up superbowl today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    Anyone go up superbowl today?

I didn’t go but saw a handful of people booting up. seemed to have plenty of tracks in it. I personally didn’t find anything off the groomers that would have been worth the hike.

That makes me feel better for missing it then. I never seem to make it up there when superbowl is open.

Was anyone up at Meadows this weekend? Been wanting to give Heathers Canyon a try and getting some seriously bad vibes after hearing about the ice and injuries...

saw a life flight helo incoming at MtB about 1130. Anybody hear what happened? Vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I didn’t go but saw a handful of people booting up. seemed to have plenty of tracks in it. I personally didn’t find anything off the groomers that would have been worth the hike.
    Twilight was decent, only a couple of ice patches, nice and soft. I talked to patrol about A zone and decided not to go after seeing all the blue ice on Marmot ridge...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Save $10 by purchasing on line, or is that the online price? Seems like I see a lot of folks at the ticket window every weekend, so someone is paying full price.
    I see that. but we have had 2 for 1 coupons, not sure how that would work with an online purchase. I missed last year from ACL surgery, but in 17/18 I don't remember tickets being over $100

I'll probably get a spring pass for the 3/28-3/30 mini and go back after Meadows closes for 3 or 4 more days

Quote Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
    Was anyone up at Meadows this weekend? Been wanting to give Heathers Canyon a try and getting some seriously bad vibes after hearing about the ice and injuries...
    You couldn't have paid me to go into Heather based on how the rest of the mountain was skiing this past weekend (i.e. rock hard sketchy stealth ice all over despite tons of new snow).

Go Snow go!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1582298792.874164.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	433.7 KB 
ID:	316792
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Ripping!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    You couldn't have paid me to go into Heather based on how the rest of the mountain was skiing this past weekend (i.e. rock hard sketchy stealth ice all over despite tons of new snow).
    Agree on Heather, but Jacks & PR were pretty prime Sun & Mon

Grant said the rollover into Super was blue ice, but that it turned into pow as the bowl got out of the wind

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Agree on Heather, but Jacks & PR were pretty prime Sun & Mon

Grant said the rollover into Super was blue ice, but that it turned into pow as the bowl got out of the wind
    Friday I had sort of the same experience on the run just to the right on Mt Hood Express (Death’s Edge?), but the moment I let my guard down (right above the trees) it turned into a solid sheet of invisible ice from top to bottom. I almost met my maker. Hit two trees; the first on purpose, to slow my descent, the second, not. I really can’t believe I walked away intact.

We took a risk dropping into 4 bowl on the 20ft of ice at the top. Figured there must have been pow in there due to the wind. Sure enough, best snow of the weekend. Icy moguls down low. Never would have guessed

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Friday I had sort of the same experience on the run just to the right on Mt Hood Express (Death’s Edge?), but the moment I let my guard down (right above the trees) it turned into a solid sheet of invisible ice from top to bottom. I almost met my maker. Hit two trees; the first on purpose, to slow my descent, the second, not. I really can’t believe I walked away intact.
    Damn! Glad you made it out ok.

Definitely switched to survival mode in a couple of spots yesterday. It didn’t soften up as much as I expected it would even with sun exposure. The groomed was fast and fun so I didn’t really push it after that.