Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1735
    Another Sunday snow storm in Central Oregon. A few nice, soft inches on top of the grunge. Skied very nice.

The obligatory up shot.

The first few hundy was whiteout, then opened up.

Even had some fresh to myself.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Storm?

Bad Vis you say?

Well then I guess good things come to those who wait (for 3 f’ing hours in our cars for the snot snow to stop dumping because the last thing you want is to stand in frozen clothes for hours waiting for the summit to clear up)

Thanks for your return old man Winter!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Nice work, gents!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Storm?

Bad Vis you say?

Well then I guess good things come to those who wait (for 3 f’ing hours in our cars for the snot snow to stop dumping because the last thing you want is to stand in frozen clothes for hours waiting for the summit to clear up)

Thanks for your return old man Winter!
    Man I was wondering if it cleared up... what time did you guys start moving? We got to 9k in white out with sideways snow and bailed after getting too cold to wait for the sucker hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobmandell View Post
    Man I was wondering if it cleared up... what time did you guys start moving? We got to 9k in white out with sideways snow and bailed after getting too cold to wait for the sucker hole.
    Hella late! We woke up at 5:15 am at Sparks Lake based on the original weather forecast ... several coffees later didn’t even get moving past the TH sign until 930 lol. It was horrible wet snot snow that soaked my pants in like 30 mins at breakfast. So after getting up to 8.9k we sat at the moraine above Lewis Lake for a good bit, burrito break etc, sucker holes would come and go and then it finally cracked a full view of the Lewis Headwall and summit crater rim, and we scrambled like mad from there around just before 2 pm. Didn’t get back to the car until after 6.

Prouty headwall looked soooooo good, as did Lewis headwall. We even had a car at Green Lakes just in case the stars aligned. But not knowing if the next wave of clouds was going to sock us in for good while setting up an anchor etc or being lost on the glacier not knowing which way was up or down, we said F it and just returned via South Ridge run. Variable snow by the hat time of day but hey, it was pretty nice being the only skiers to summit today though lol.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Hella late! We woke up at 5:15 am at Sparks Lake based on the original weather forecast ... several coffees later didn’t even get moving past the TH sign until 930 lol. It was horrible wet snot snow that soaked my pants in like 30 mins at breakfast. So after getting up to 8.9k we sat at the moraine above Lewis Lake for a good bit, burrito break etc, sucker holes would come and go and then it finally cracked a full view of the Lewis Headwall and summit crater rim, and we scrambled like mad from there around just before 2 pm. Didn’t get back to the car until after 6.

Prouty headwall looked soooooo good, as did Lewis headwall. We even had a car at Green Lakes just in case the stars aligned. But not knowing if the next wave of clouds was going to sock us in for good while setting up an anchor etc or being lost on the glacier not knowing which way was up or down, we said F it and just returned via South Ridge run. Variable snow by the hat time of day but hey, it was pretty nice being the only skiers to summit today though lol.
    Haha good to know.... yeah we were hoping to ski the Prouty if vis was ok, stoked to hear it looked good!!

To be fair we didn’t get in any position for a clear look to see if there was going to be a schrund navigation challenge ... hopefully next time we’re up there it won’t be intermittent whiteout!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

To be fair we didn’t get in any position for a clear look to see if there was going to be a schrund navigation challenge ... hopefully next time we’re up there it won’t be intermittent whiteout!
    There was a nice gathering of folks up at the top of Bachy and the Summit chair unload building. Provided some shelter from the wind, but didn't hang out up there very long as my fingers were freezing, even after switching to heavier and dry gloves. The first 500' of vert was white out and vertigo induced skiing.

But once below the clouds if was pretty good to the top of Sunrise chair. But it would have been nice if the viz had been better.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

glad to see you guys are still getting some

Adams forecast is 10-16” today and 3-7” overnight!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Shred on! Nice work!

Side note, which one of you bought this house, and when is the party?
    https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/...TS0Tkg#slide-1

Hood was skiing pretty good yesterday. Snow still all the way down to within 100yards of the parking lot, so almost skinning straight from the lot. Hogsback to Palmer was fantastic corn snow. Saw quite a few guys skiing off the summit as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4764.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	332316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4771.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	332319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4766.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	332320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4748.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	332321

Nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiepoison View Post
    Hood was skiing pretty good yesterday. Snow still all the way down to within 100yards of the parking lot, so almost skinning straight from the lot. Hogsback to Palmer was fantastic corn snow. Saw quite a few guys skiing off the summit as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4748.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	332321
    ^^^ good stuff!

Outside the office window
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4665.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	505.9 KB 
ID:	332337

Nice spot for a beer

Yup - and you can put the bar down if you've had too many

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Yup - and you can put the bar down if you've had too many
    "Mind if I bring the BAM DOWN?" Might be a good idea to wear a helmet when team drinking on this device

Name:  20191010_182733.png
Views: 1533
Size:  214.0 KB
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Name:  20191010_182733.png
Views: 1533
Size:  214.0 KB
    Decisions, decisions...

Wanted to ask about any beta on Cottage Grove outside Eugene. My uncle passed and had a couple acres backed to a small river. A couple parcels with older units he rents. One parcel is zoned RC commercial.

My question revolves around if this town could be a landing spot into the future for metro exodus. The agent I’ve been speaking with says area has large interest of San Diego and LA area transplants. Which coincidentally my uncle lived in both before he bought this place almost 10 yrs ago.

Wondering if I entertain as an investment and long term hold. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Wanted to ask about any beta on Cottage Grove outside Eugene. My uncle passed and had a couple acres backed to a small river. A couple parcels with older units he rents. One parcel is zoned RC commercial.

My question revolves around if this town could be a landing spot into the future for metro exodus. The agent I’ve been speaking with says area has large interest of San Diego and LA area transplants. Which coincidentally my uncle lived in both before he bought this place almost 10 yrs ago.

To be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath. Once you get out of Eugene density drops precipitously. There is no shortage of land, or wilderness. Further, CA migration has been a thing for the better part of 40 years and the end result has NOT been speculative increase in land value. Urban centers, on the other hand.

Now, as a passive income generator a la airBnB, different story...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    To be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath. Once you get out of Eugene density drops precipitously. There is no shortage of land, or wilderness. Further, CA migration has been a thing for the better part of 40 years and the end result has NOT been speculative increase in land value. Urban centers, on the other hand.

Now, as a passive income generator a la airBnB, different story...
    Yeah imagined it as a short term rental paying off the initial investment and see what shakes out in 15-20 years. However maybe it would be best to put my focus into an area closer to me and with more potential upside.

Be interested to hear additional feedback on Cottage Grove. Thanks HD

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post

What’s your time scale and how light/painful is the tax burden? What are the maintenance demands of the parcels?

I think Eugene still has room to expand within its urban growth boundary. I see Eugene is the only reasonable commercial airport for personal and business air travel between Portland and Medford. Having come from a metro area myself, I think Eugene’s amenities are reasonable but still severely lacking compared to real metro areas (restaurants, diversity, etc) - however as far as attracting metro exodus it certainly feels like the main draw south of Portland and west of Bend. I see lots of physical infrastructure here and the area is expanding but not exactly blowing up. Some westward suburban expansion into Elmira and Veneta seems to be happening.

Cottage Grove is a charming place with some history, but like all other northwest regions that have had decades of mill consolidation and lumber declining, I honestly don’t know what most people do for work out there ... the few folks I know who live down there either work in Eugene or at the local CG Peacehealth hospital. It always struck me as a place where people can drop a prefab house on an acre of land and still have decent amenities (Walmart, restaurants etc), while paying way less than you would in Eugene. Geographically speaking, I assume that CG is what it is because it’s the southernmost part of the Willamette Valley before the river splits into narrow creek valleys and steep passes, and it probably wouldn’t have ever gotten even as close to as big as it is now had ACE never dammed the Row River. So it’s nice, but not a place to capture much metro exodus in my opinion.

I’d say if you are seriously entertaining holding the parcels, go spend some random weekdays down there, meet with the chamber of commerce, talk to actual business owners. Drive around with the Zillow app or others to look at historical housing and rent prices. No offense to your RE agent but I’d want to verify every assumption they are telling you with actual business people and renters in the area.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Also, since it sounds like there is little to no sentimental value ... the other question is, “if you had the same amount in cash right now, that you think these parcels could fetch plus closing and other costs ... would you buy them, or do something else with your cash?”

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell