Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1735
    It's painful to see snow in my driveway and 8" on the Bachy snow stake. But I still work for living, and hopefully both things continue; work and living. Stay safe and healthy folks!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Losing patience with bachy's uphill policy. Parking is the big issue. Will start ignoring their decisions soon. There's no way they're able to open this season. And even if they do and want to keep the mountain locked down for now, they can let people park on the side of parking lot by the nordic center so that hey can access other spaces via the common corridor (when the lot is naturally clear).

Mt Bachelor is still dragging their feet on operations.

How many locals want to see Mt B open?

How many will ski if they open?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Mt Bachelor is still dragging their feet on operations.

How many locals want to see Mt B open?

How many will ski if they open?
    I'm thinking the place would be wall to wall with families wanting to get the kids outside. Load every other chair. Or only two to a chair. But they could probably figure away to keep the social distance thing in effect. Maybe do an even odd pass number thing. You have a pass ending in an even number you ski the mornings, odd the afternoons. There are options!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I’d ski Bachy if they reopened. My season was just starting when they pulled the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I'm thinking the place would be wall to wall with families wanting to get the kids outside. Load every other chair. Or only two to a chair. But they could probably figure away to keep the social distance thing in effect. Maybe do an even odd pass number thing. You have a pass ending in an even number you ski the mornings, odd the afternoons. There are options!
    Grocery stores are struggling with how to manage social distancing, and they are an essential sector. Bachy provides recreational services - do you think they can figure it out ... in a way where their lawyers and insurance will be able to indemnify them against malfeasance claims? All public venues are going to have to figure this out when public health experts say we can talk about easing social controls.

Wuhan is finally opening its gates and businesses- after two full months of lockdown. Now, Oregon hasn’t gotten that bad yet but NYC will be there in a week. In this time of uncertainty... the prudent strategy is to wait.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Went in search of turns and found 3.7 miles (or so says Gaia) of the low angle dangle in 10” of wind drifted pow. Nice day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6244.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	322248

Name:	IMG_6246.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	322249

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Grocery stores are struggling with how to manage social distancing, and they are an essential sector. Bachy provides recreational services - do you think they can figure it out ... in a way where their lawyers and insurance will be able to indemnify them against malfeasance claims? All public venues are going to have to figure this out when public health experts say we can talk about easing social controls.

Wuhan is finally opening its gates and businesses- after two full months of lockdown. Now, Oregon hasn’t gotten that bad yet but NYC will be there in a week. In this time of uncertainty... the prudent strategy is to wait.
    This is what I was thinking. People will be too close somewhere. This wont be over by the end of April. So I will be forced to go if they reopen and possibly get sick or lose my money because Powdr Corp cares more about money than their guests

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Went in search of turns and found 3.7 miles (or so says Gaia) of the low angle dangle in 10” of wind drifted pow. Nice day!

Name:	IMG_6244.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	322248

Name:	IMG_6246.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	322249
    love it

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    This is what I was thinking. People will be too close somewhere. This wont be over by the end of April. So I will be forced to go if they reopen and possibly get sick or lose my money because Powdr Corp cares more about money than their guests
    I will be very surprised if Bachelor or any other investor-owner ski resort will be opening before MLB, MLS, or some other much larger non-exclusive entertainment institution figures out how to do it, and insure it, based on whatever social exposure guidelines are given by US government on social controls.

Once we clear the current wildfire-like exponential outbreak phase, then we are in the maintenance phase trying to keep from generating new “spot fire” outbreaks.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I will be very surprised if Bachelor or any other investor-owner ski resort will be opening before MLB, MLS, or some other much larger non-exclusive entertainment institution figures out how to do it, and insure it, based on whatever social exposure guidelines are given by US government on social controls.

Once we clear the current wildfire-like exponential outbreak phase, then we are in the maintenance phase trying to keep from generating new “spot fire” outbreaks.
    Agreed. It's really unlikely that Bachy could responsibly re-open, and I do think that Bachy's management will do what is responsible. Seems like the isolation measures we have taken here were implemented early enough that there is a chance that we have avoided a significant outbreak in Bend, but we would need to maintain this isolation for a while if that's the case. If Bachy is holding out like this because it's best for their employees (keeps them employed) then I wish they would communicate that. I don't think this is a Powdr thing - aren't all of their other resorts shut down for the season?

Same BS posted on Killngton's site. We're trying to reopen when we can. No projected dates...nothing. I just texted Mt B to see when the next update will be.

Quote Originally Posted by atree View Post
    Seems like the isolation measures we have taken here were implemented early enough that there is a chance that we have avoided a significant outbreak in Bend, but we would need to maintain this isolation for a while if that's the case.
    *If that is true that Bend has averted disaster,* (and we won’t know for 3+ weeks really because social controls only went into effect less than a week ago, it takes 5-6 days to carry the virus before symptoms start, it can take another week of being sick before severe symptoms develop, and severe symptoms can come extremely suddenly like you got better and the next day you can’t breathe/might die, oh yeah and once tests are ordered it’s about a 5 day wait time in Oregon right now for results) a few things will be needed to maintain that position:

-Avoiding re-importation of new cases
    -Aggressive low-latency testing of population (the kind where you get same day results not next week results) and aggressive contact tracing of positive confirmations

If you can’t get the above, and more medical supplies, you can’t ease social controls on places with high gathering counts.

This is why Gavin Newsom in CA is saying it’s gonna be at least May before things can ease. They are on a much worse numerical path down there than up here, but also “how bad this really is” is really relative to your local/regional medical resources. We have 688 total ventilators in the entire state of OR as of 2 weeks ago. So I stand by my pessimism about when businesses that gather large groups can re open.

Cross your fingers and let’s see how this thing plays out over the next 3-4 weeks. Confirmed cases in OR jumped to 25% daily increase yesterday, which could indicate exponential growth, or it could indicate that the shitty test infrastructure is finally getting data from samples collected a week ago, too early to tell.

Stay near your home!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So a few things to add to SM's commentary:

Up here in WA, the test turnaround is < 3 days - I know this because I have a neighbor whose wife developed symptoms over the weekend, was tested on Sunday and got a confirmed negative result on Tuesday. And not even all of our testing facilities were operating at their maximum load (there just weren't that many tests coming in to be performed).

The typical incubation time is 5-10 days, but can be up to two weeks. Once you're symptomatic, it's roughly another 5-10 days, but could be up to two weeks, until you're considered recovered. Your symptoms can escalate quite quickly once you're symptomatic but some folks never develop any symptoms.

We're way past the point of being able to leverage effective testing & tracing, like Singapore and South Korea did. Extreme social distancing is our best option and if it doesn't work, expect a full Wuhan-style lockdown.

GPNF and MHNF have closed all recreation access at developed areas - THs, CGs, snoparks...

Some likely sideways and upside-down pics to keep you satisfied...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0060.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	322408

Name:	KIMG0055.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	322409

Name:	KIMG0045.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	863.1 KB 
ID:	322410

Name:	KIMG0038.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	838.3 KB 
ID:	322411

Name:	KIMG0035.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	924.5 KB 
ID:	322412

2019-20 - Oregon - it never snows here and when it does, it sucks

HRATS newsletter was finger wagging at the folks who are ignoring the closures

you can ride your bike from home and it’s fine...just don’t drive & no overnights for out of towners in HR

I noticed that MtB has removed the snowstake cam from their website. Too much temptation...

Name:	snowstake.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	322495
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Jonesy - hook me with your link, please!

Cool. Thanks, Jonesy! Some good discussion on here. I think I need to come out of the shadows and meet all you hosers at the bachy gathering next year.

You're welcome. Perhaps a beer next season. Hunker down till it's over.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

With the snoparks closure, COAC is shutting down. No doubt the 16+” coming in will be tempting for many fun hogs, but we can’t go against government closures in the interest of keeping people safe who aren’t following public health closures. Most other avy center’s have done the same thing.

Stay safe, folks.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do