Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1735

2019-20 - Oregon - it never snows here and when it does, it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ...provided you pull the trigger by 5/31.
    Gonna call MtB today to see if pass insurance will cover govt shutdowns
    Yes, it’s offers some protection, but can’t double up

https://www.mtbachelor.com/tickets-p...lder-vouchers/

They are saying that pass insurance was amended to cover government / public health closures, and are offering prorated refunds for the 19/20 season, and implying that it’s a recommended choice to purchase it for 20/21.

For any of you here being barraged by resort marketing emails and pds offers for next year -I think there is a really good probability that resort operations will be impacted in the 20/21 season. Think carefully before buying!

I’m concerned there isn’t a workable financial model to update resort operations to reflect distancing and spacing guidelines, and we have yet to see how public health guidelines will cap max number of people allowed in a single location once restrictions ease up later this spring/summer.

While Oregon is about to pass its peak impact, all we’ve done with social distancing is to rewind the clock back to March 1 or Feb 22, in terms of base infections in the community. The virus isn’t going away anytime soon ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

No mention of Spring Passes

Wow, they didn't mention that in their FAQ. One of the other FAQ questions is "What happens if MtB is able to reopen for spring skiing" ...

It seems like they're holding out hope that they are able to offer enough of a spring season to not have to fully refund passes, but man, I really wonder what their operational assumptions are about staffing and resort retrofitting to be able to do that. I mean, kudos to them for not just going straight to pulling the plug! I'll be amazed if they can pull something off though.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Yes, it’s offers some protection, but can’t double up

https://www.mtbachelor.com/tickets-p...lder-vouchers/
    This only relates to getting money back for 19/20 pass. I don't see where it speaks to whether pass insurance will pay off if MtB closes for some or all of 20/21 season. I asked this question of them by email but have yet to get a straight yes/no answer. They were pretty responsive with their first non-answer reply so maybe I will get something more definitive shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    No mention of Spring Passes
    Their recorded message (nobody is staffing the phones) said that Spring Passes will be refunded without your needing to do anything. It did have some cryptic caveat about them reaching out in special situations where they can't auto-refund. Like maybe if you paid in cash or bitcoin or something.

Per text. Ya!

Thank you for reaching out to Mt Bachelor!

Your Spring Pass purchase will be refunded. Those that bought their pass online will receive a refund to the original credit card used. Those that purchased over the phone or in person will receive a phone call or other message such that we can get your credit card information. Refunds have been started for this. Please contact us again if you have not received it within 2 weeks.

So I previously said I doubt Bach can reopen this spring and am concerned about next season as well.

Fed gov't just released guidelines on reopening businesses etc. Unlikely that the Western States Alliance will follow these line-by-line, but it's a good proxy discussion point.
    https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthel...ull.pdf#page=1

Basically the fed govt is saying don't open large public venues and sporting venues until at least 4 continuous weeks of declining trendline in reported flu/covid like illnesses and also confirmed tests. Oregon was still getting jumpy increases in confirmed cases through this last Sunday 4/12 (https://covidtracking.com/data/state/oregon) ... it's too soon to tell if we've already started our decline since then - but let's be somewhat optimistic for a second: at this point the *earliest* that Mount B could reopen, if Western States Alliance follows federal guidelines on this point, would be Monday May 11. Mount B would also be required to enforce moderate distancing protocols (undefined) and provide PPE / workplace safety. After 6 weeks large/sporting venues are allowed to reduce distancing protocols to *limited* (whatever that means - but at that point a good amount of consumers still won't patronize some of these large public places without being convinced that the venues are taking transmission risks seriously).

So, it's at least *possibly legally allowable* we might get a last hurrah of resort skiing! We'll see if they can make the financial & operational side of these implementations make sense ... none of the lift corrals and food service operations are really set up to support moderate distancing with mid winter weekend crowds, but this spring could be a good test run for them.

Although, technically I'm not supposed to resort ski until treatment options change, I have asthma and had lung surgery 10 years ago.

The other thing to note from these guidelines is that, if any major county in Oregon sees a serious outbreak erupt next fall or winter, the resort could likely close for a minumum time of the outbreak duration plus 4 weeks. So making sure pass insurance covers a public health outbreak will be key before investing in passes for the next 2 seasons.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

heard west face of Jefferson is skiing well
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    heard west face of Jefferson is skiing well
    Ascending via SW ridge?

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Ascending via SW ridge?
    some variation of north ridge
    off your knees Louie

Thread drift: Any central OR mags want some salmon? I’m working on getting some frozen salmon/ling/rockfish shipped to the Bend area soon. If interested PM me. No farmed shit, all line-caught in OR by the master.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2093.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	266.0 KB 
ID:	326096

So my ski season was late in starting since my wife had knee replacement surgery which took up the first 6 weeks of ski season. I was just getting back into the swing of skiing when the trump/ covid disaster hit. I skied 3 or 4 times at Bachelor before my season was ended. Bachelor is giving me a $125 rebate so I ended up paying way more than if I had purchased day tickets at the Bachelor ticket window. Not an encouraging experience, so say the least.

I am now very conflicted as to weather to buy a season pass for next year. Still no word on if the Bachelor season pass insurance will cover there being a trump/Covid induced no ski season next year and they seem to want me to make up my mind in the next few days. This question about the reliability of season passes is a really big disincentive to spending so much money on a "MAYBE PASS" after just loosing so much money on that very investment. I mean think about it....I pay you now for a service next year that you might well not be able to deliver. Then on top of that you are not offering any insurance that next season will not have the same end result as this season's big loss. Spend big on a large risky proposition.

The adage about "fool me once....." will not exit my head, despite my rabid need to ski. Oh well I guess I have a couple of days to figure it out. Hopefully they will answer the question about their insurance and next season soon.

At least MtB worked ok for me, refunded spring passes and all.
    Meadows $100 credit is nice too. I may even flip the switch by 5-31 to get a free pass and 3 discounted passes

As long as too many peeps not following distancing cautions (we have 1 guy in our golf group that wants to talk face to face 3 feet apart, he runs a restaurant right next to OHSU!) don't ruin it for the ones being safe, then I think the 20/21 ski season will be doable, possible with limits and restrictions.

my attitude has always been: I'm GOING to ski...might as well lock in the cheapest pass

Would you be more upset if you buy a pass and don’t use it or if there is a season and you don’t have a pass? I’m going skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=PNW-skier78;5967465]Would you be more upset if you buy a pass and don’t use it or if there is a season and you don’t have a pass? I’m going skiing.

The first scenario (buy and can't use) is exactly what happened to me last year. It was expensive, and I didn't like it much. I would have been better off to skip the pass and the pass insurance and just buy tickets at the ticket window. None of this is appealing to me. But loosing a lot of cash for nothing AND NOT SKIING is really depressing me.

A little early but....was talking with the horses the other day and there saying next winter is going to be a motherfucker. That's right from the horses mouth. I'm in.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

A touring setup is the cure for what ails y'all. Don't need the resort when you have skins and quads of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    A touring setup is the cure for what ails y'all. Don't need the resort when you have skins and quads of steel.
    Exactly Right!, Bro

[QUOTE=snojones;5967536]
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    Would you be more upset if you buy a pass and don’t use it or if there is a season and you don’t have a pass? I’m going skiing.

The first scenario (buy and can't use) is exactly what happened to me last year. It was expensive, and I didn't like it much. I would have been better off to skip the pass and the pass insurance and just buy tickets at the ticket window. None of this is appealing to me. But loosing a lot of cash for nothing AND NOT SKIING is really depressing me.
    I feel you. I would guess at least 50% chance that bachelors season will be impacted next year. Hard to say this far out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    Don’t neglect those hip flexors! We had a good corn cycle up until a couple days ago... looks like it is starting back up early next week too.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    A little early but....was talking with the horses the other day and there saying next winter is going to be a motherfucker. That's right from the horses mouth. I'm in.
    Had you eaten shrooms? Or blotter?

Furosemide
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

2019-20 - Oregon - it never snows here and when it does, it sucks

Re: is there gonna be a resort ski season next year ... Mount Baldy outside of LA is running an operations/finance experiment right now - just reopened yesterday with very interesting operational updates.
    https://winter.mtbaldyresort.com/covid-19-guidlines/

I hope they share their results with other resorts. That kind of model might not work for Meadows or MtB but it might work for WP, the Doo, Anthony Lakes next season.

That said, I’m not very happy with them for opening because:
    -LA County is still the main problem area in California, which also happens to be their main customer source
    -By being the only open ski resort provider they are basically encouraging people to drive from long distances (despite their commitment to manage crowds)
    -Therefore their opening is well against the spirit of stay at home guidelines and closure of non essential businesses

Still lots of uncertainty for prospective pass buyers. I’d just wait until Fall to make a decision (on any commitments really, not just ski passes) - you’ll still have discounted pricing options going into Halloween, not much more expensive than now, with way more data on key questions. Is immunity durable? Is antibody testing helpful and available? Are we seeing second wave outbreaks in cold climates that will only get worse during the winter and threaten recurrence of aggressive policies? Will other associated businesses (restaurants, retail) in ski areas be able to adapt to new operational models? What are the actual risk factors and am I / a family member actually a high risk person? Will pro sports be able to set reasonably safe operational models for managing large crowds? Will ski resorts make any major announcements? Will there be funding for worker protective measures and paid sick leave necessary to retain a stable seasonal work force? We won’t have all the answers in late October, but we will know *much much more* than we will in May/June.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Well, beer is still for sale, corn is bout to be popping, and winter will start again soon!