Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Boy oh boy is snow needed. Today was so rock hard icy that it was a one run and done kind of day. Coverage is super spotty, practically all of the back of 22 (where Gold Rush unloads) is just a few inches thin. Yesterday (Monday) was fun up high thanks to the Sunday dusting.

I just rolled into town, but nursing a cold, so not too energetic. Will head out tomorrow, but YC's report is not very encouraging. I might just have to go back to Jackson.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    Boy oh boy is snow needed. Today was so rock hard icy that it was a one run and done kind of day. Coverage is super spotty, practically all of the back of 22 (where Gold Rush unloads) is just a few inches thin. Yesterday (Monday) was fun up high thanks to the Sunday dusting.
    That sounds like what the snow was like when I was there two weeks ago, and I haven't been back since. Tahoe has been getting a series of small storms in the
    4" to 8" range every 4-5 days that Mammoth just isn't getting this year. Squaw and Alpine have been skiing really well all things considered.

Name:  Snow totals.png
Views: 1016
Size:  379.9 KB

I saw this graph on Opensnow Tahoe. Mammoth's season to date snowfall has fallen to 70% of average, while most Tahoe area's are near or even above average at this time. Squaw has gotten 30" more snowfall in January than Mammoth. Looks like a big warm up is coming over the next few days. Not good.

I have only made one trip in January, granted it was for 4 days, but because conditions are not great I don't feel so bad. Baldy got snow early so I have been able to get one or two days there every weekend I have not hit Mammoth. With these conditions I would rather watch the Super Bowl and hit Baldy Saturday and Sunday, and maybe get in a surf, than hit Mammoth. I will be up for a three day weekend next weekend, then maybe a 4 day trip for pres. day. I'm hoping things change by then.

The good thing is that there is a base down. I just really hope this pattern changes soon.

I don't mind a good start followed by a lull. I have seen many seasons where things picked back up later. Hopefully that will happen this year. My last full non-injured season as a ski bum was in 02/03. Squaw had a great start, awesome through December, then came a January lull. No big deal, we thought. Then things didn't turn around in February. Oh well, maybe it will be a miracle March. No such luck. Then, when I had given up hope, things changed in April. From April 1 to May 10 Squaw got something like 150 inches. It was good snow too, it would start heavy, then cool to lighten up for great stability. It seemed like we would get a couple of storm days and then a classic blue bird. It was probably the best 40 days of skiing of my life. The Palisades were an absolute show. Even after it stopped snowing the rest of May was fun.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

The 25th was a shit show. Most crowded day of the year so far. The people I saw having troubles on 23 couldn't get on the lift. Full on Jerry show in effect with the line out the maze. Sunday was fine, although a bit of fog with the new snow. High T was skiing well.

Yeah it hasn't snowed too much, but the snow and coverage is still fine. Definitely a few areas to watch out for, a few pebbles out and about, but nothing major and still plenty of fun to be had.

We got spoiled in Nov/Dec with all the pow. At least we have a base for when/if it starts snowing again. Going to JH this weekend and Tahoe grom races the following. See ya Pres. Day w/e.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    The 25th was a shit show. Most crowded day of the year so far. The people I saw having troubles on 23 couldn't get on the lift. Full on Jerry show in effect with the line out the maze. Sunday was fine, although a bit of fog with the new snow. High T was skiing well.

Yeah it hasn't snowed too much, but the snow and coverage is still fine. Definitely a few areas to watch out for, a few pebbles out and about, but nothing major and still plenty of fun to be had.

We got spoiled in Nov/Dec with all the pow. At least we have a base for when/if it starts snowing again. Going to JH this weekend and Tahoe grom races the following. See ya Pres. Day w/e.
    That's interesting that the 25th was that bad.

MLK weekend was very mellow. Minimal lines for even the upper gondi, which is rare. 23 had barely any lines. I really could not believe how mellow everything was. It seems that with so many people buying base passes the big weekends are not light.

This all makes me worried about next weekend. Right now the plan is to go up o Friday AM. Friday probably won't be too bad, but I might end up doing lots of 22 laps on Saturday and Sunday if the upper mountain is crowded. I might go back on Pres. weekend even if it is inconvenient, just because of the crowds the shoulder weekends have.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Top was closed today due to a NE wind. Looks like some good wind buff forming. I didn't ski a whole lot today, but it was actually pretty good on 5 and 3. The Sunday snow and cold temps have help and while firm it was very edgable.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Just skied by Braille under the the gondy off the top total pea soup, hope it clears up later

For me my favorite snow today was found off 22 and the zone under 1, turned out to be a fun day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone up this weekend?
    maybe sunblock & chair 3 bumps?

BB
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Missing my first weekend since opening w/e. Going to Jackson! Booyah. BB, when we gonna ski???
    He who has the most fun wins!

BB, let's me up early on Saturday. I am likely heading home in the afternoon.

The hill skied okay today. Bumps are getting steep and deep in a lot of locations. Rocks and wood is starting to emerge in many places. It's getting sticky in some low, south exposed spots, and areas of hard wind board up high (under TOTW, a real tooth rattler.) Sundays refresh need to be repeated soon.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    BB, let's me up early on Saturday. I am likely heading home in the afternoon.

The hill skied okay today. Bumps are getting steep and deep in a lot of locations. Rocks and wood is starting to emerge in many places. It's getting sticky in some low, south exposed spots, and areas of hard wind board up high (under TOTW, a real tooth rattler.) Sundays refresh need to be repeated soon.
    Hey Dave,
    I’m not all that stoked on Mammoth skiing these days. Out road tripping the PNW.

I sent you a pm on where I skied yesterday and how good it was. Keep the faith.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for rubbing a little salt in my wounds

Seems like I am always a day late and a dollar short. Got to Jackson just after all the epic storm.snow was skied out. Hit Sun Valley a few days after the last decent snow fall, and now in Mammoth and getting sloppy seconds on the last refresher. I should have gone to LCC and BCC instead of Mammoth, but I picked up a third world disease in WY or ID, so a least in Mammoth I can lay low and recover.

Glad to here you are getting some. PDX had a late start, but seems to be the place to be. Hopefully we will recover here on the east side. It is looking pretty sparse around here of late, but at least what snow we have is reasonably good.

Cheers

iscariot

On my way up Sunday for some mid week skiing. Reading the above and the long range weather reports is a bummer. All I can hope for is a "Miracle March" that keeps the mountain open into June/July.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I skied monday and yesterday. Holy balls, it was cold monday. -1 with 30mph winds at the top of 5. They opened the top for a bit on monday but it never opened tuesday. Coverage is super low. I traversed from the back of 3 to the section under wipeouts 1 and it was like sandpaper all the way down.

Me and a couple friends who taught skiing/snowboarding at Mammoth 16 years ago are returning Friday-Sunday for a mini-reunion. Sounds like conditions are lining up to be all-time! Woot woot. And...sounds like I should bring my rock skis. Yikes.

Question for the Mammy regulars - how's the Green church tub situation? Is there snow out in the Caldera? Have the tubs gone to shit/not maintained? Thinking hilltop, rock tub, shepherd's or crab cooker. Or has InstaBook rendered them permanently-full, never-unoccupied junkshows?

We had lined up the trip for a full moon Sherwin's lap on Saturday, but looks like we'd be sliding on crusts! Ah well. I will be stoked to be back on the ol huntin' grounds.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Me and a couple friends who taught skiing/snowboarding at Mammoth 16 years ago are returning Friday-Sunday for a mini-reunion. Sounds like conditions are lining up to be all-time! Woot woot. And...sounds like I should bring my rock skis. Yikes.

Question for the Mammy regulars - how's the Green church tub situation? Is there snow out in the Caldera? Have the tubs gone to shit/not maintained? Thinking hilltop, rock tub, shepherd's or crab cooker. Or has InstaBook rendered them permanently-full, never-unoccupied junkshows?

We had lined up the trip for a full moon Sherwin's lap on Saturday, but looks like we'd be sliding on crusts! Ah well. I will be stoked to be back on the ol huntin' grounds.
    pure unwashed nutsack stew

Roads were passable when I went by there a week ago. Tubs themselves have not changed in the last several years. Maybe add a few more antibiotic resistant superbugs.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Westmeister View Post
    pure unwashed nutsack stew
    So, things haven't changed, eh? That's good!

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Roads were passable when I went by there a week ago. Tubs themselves have not changed in the last several years. Maybe add a few more antibiotic resistant superbugs.
    Cool - thx for the beta.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

If you see a couple guys skiing Moments, that's probably my buddy Matt and I. Say hi! Nothing like some mid Winter rock skiing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yesterday was actually fun. It is VERY scraped off in spots, and also quite firm in areas, you really want to wait until it softens up. I drove up in the morning and got on the hill at 1130 and lapped some groomers, which were not great. Then I hit Scotty's, which is okay after the first stretch, firm but edgable. Then I hit Climax and stayed there for the rest of the day. The skier's right section of Climax, under the TOTW cliffs, was fun. It was firm, but still edgable and smooth. It was definitely not classic Mammoth buff, but it was much better than I expected. I suspect Climax is taking some time to soften up, so I did some work this morning. I will probably be lapping Climax again today. I actually skied some 99 underfoot skis yesterday, the skinniest skis I have been on in quite a while. I will be in blue pants, red jacket, black helmet if any of you guys are around.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    RIP to a true pioneer of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Yesterday was actually fun. It is VERY scraped off in spots, and also quite firm in areas, you really want to wait until it softens up. I drove up in the morning and got on the hill at 1130 and lapped some groomers, which were not great. Then I hit Scotty's, which is okay after the first stretch, firm but edgable. Then I hit Climax and stayed there for the rest of the day. The skier's right section of Climax, under the TOTW cliffs, was fun. It was firm, but still edgable and smooth. It was definitely not classic Mammoth buff, but it was much better than I expected. I suspect Climax is taking some time to soften up, so I did some work this morning. I will probably be lapping Climax again today. I actually skied some 99 underfoot skis yesterday, the skinniest skis I have been on in quite a while. I will be in blue pants, red jacket, black helmet if any of you guys are around.
    Curious, why were the groomers not good? Not yet soft enough? Did low angle east facing get soft at all.

Will be there next week for four days with the family. Their biggest goal is to tour around the hill and get to know it better. They don't need steel to have fun, but have been looking forward to long cruisers given the conditions. Should I tamper expectations? We will be there regardless, but man, what a dry winter since Christmas. Praying we dumped on in March as my son very much ws hoping to ski and camp in Mammoth in June again. It was his highlight of last year.