Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Get that chair fixed before late next week. Three kids from our local HS (Go Outlaws!) are competing there at the Western Regional HS Skiing Championships. They owned the podium in GS at Oregon State Finals. Not bad for a town of 2200.

https://www.powder.com/stories/news/...terra-updates/

It's official, high-speed 6 packs replacing 1 and 16. Glad to hear it.

Glad new lifts are coming, but I hate six packs. People have enough trouble counting to four on busy days, I doubt they can manage to get to six without taking off their gloves.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Mammoth 2019-2020- Welcome back my friends

IMO, Mammoth has shitty corrals. With better corrals, it would not be such an issue.

Chair 2 for example dumps the groups from both sides and the singles lines into a an area that can hold way more than four people so no one goes trough the gates as a group. And there is so much room on the other side of the gates, people can regroup there. Use the corrals to create groups of 4 (or 6) and have them pass through the gates as a group. Too fucking easy. My only gripe about that place. It can suck being a single on a busy day and seeing endless chairs go up unfilled.

Not flying somewhere warm in April now. Maybe another week of skiing is due.
    Last edited by Ottime; 03-13-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Be prepared for very long, slow gondi lines. Social distancing in effect...max 4 per cabin of the same group. If a group of 1, 2 or 3, they only load 1, 2 or 3, and skip every other cabin at the base.

waited nearly an hour from just outside the build to load, and then as I was loading the announced the top was closed

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    IMO, Mammoth has shitty corrals. With better corrals, it would not be such an issue.

Chair 2 for example dumps the groups from both sides and the singles lines into a an area that can hold way more than four people so no one goes trough the gates as a group. And there is so much room on the other side of the gates, people can regroup there. Use the corrals to create groups of 4 (or 6) and have them pass through the gates as a group. Too fucking easy. My only gripe about that place. It can suck being a single on a busy day and seeing endless chairs go up unfilled.

Not flying somewhere warm in April now. Maybe another week of skiing is due.
    I have been saying this for a long time, that queue is horrible. Some days its faster to take the parking bus to chair 1 than it is to wait in chair 2 line. I see why they are replacing chair 1 since it is ancient, but chair 2 really need to be a six pack or another lift installed to get people over to main.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Glad new lifts are coming, but I hate six packs. People have enough trouble counting to four on busy days, I doubt they can manage to get to six without taking off their gloves.
    It can be done!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABB58729-55DF-4E4C-B5C8-C2A83F0037AC.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	320174
    When I was in Big Sky in February, every time I rode the Ram Charger chair (most expensive chair ever built in North America), somehow there were always 8 people on it. If they can do it, I have faith that Southern Californians (my people) can be trained to count to 6 and fill each chair.

They sure can't on 9 and 15. Even four is a tough go at Mammoth. Unless there is a lifty snapping at their heels like a rabid boarder collie they have a hard time filling the four seaters.

The Collins lift at Alta is the only efficiently loaded six pack that I have seen. The lift nazis their are tough.

iscariot

...waited nearly an hour from just outside the building to load, and then as I was loading they announced the top was closed
    Sorry mang, feel for you, but we laughed...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Anybody remember when chair 1 was a fixed double with the pole between the seats?

The Collins lift at Alta is the only efficiently loaded six pack that I have seen. The lift nazis their are tough.
    They are very efficient in loading Collins but it's a quad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3095.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	320212
    Credit: probably Bank Wright

Be prepared for very long, slow gondi lines. Social distancing in effect...max 4 per cabin of the same group. If a group of 1, 2 or 3, they only load 1, 2 or 3, and skip every other cabin at the base.

waited nearly an hour from just outside the build to load, and then as I was loading the announced the top was closed
    What’s the deal with loading chairs? Are chairs only be loaded at half capacity in order to create “social distance”?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

No, they are load full chairs. Also only allowing 20 people per bus, soexpect to see haf empty buses pass you by. I was the last person on the blue line this morning, and I am only one stop from the village.

BTW, the closed the whole mountain at noon, by which I mean chair 17,20,21, everything else was already closed. I suspect there were a lot of pissed people today. I just went home and started drinking early...lemons to lemonade

iscariot

Yup. June is closed too. So, drinking it is. We ended up taking the opportunity to bring our gear to a shop for some tuning. Cheers!

Welp, Alterra announced the closing of operations until further notice, starting tomorrow:

https://www.alterramtnco.com/news/20...e-announcement

Just saw that. Would have been nice if they had sent an email. Oh well, looks like anybody with touring gear is going to have a good time.

At 10:30 AM they said no cases in Inyo and Mono counties, so they planned to continue operations. This is going to really fuck a lot of people. Even if the mountain pays employees for a bit, I doubt it will be for long, and all the ancillary people will be out of jobs since I doubt all the restaurants/ski shops/et al will be able to afford to.

iscariot

Yeah. As we were leaving the house I saw the touring gear and I thought "Nah...", we were just going to have some inbounds fun to relax from the craziness of the week.

I too was wondering about how this could screw seasonal employees, restaurants, shops, etc.

Well damn. I decided to use my extra ticket and planned another trip to Mammoth but that's not going to work.

Wonder what will happen to all the people who pre-purchased tickets.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Fuck Mammoth. We were skinning up and wide open run, nowhere near anything remotely hazardous and got hassled by patrol. I asked why it was different then any place on FS land and just got bullshit responses. They were real pricks about it, some more then other. I'm not going to go into detail as it will just elevate my BP again, but but when the little shit was questioning my safety judgement I bit my tongue before I said that I have been touring way long for then he has been alive.

iscariot

That sucks. Tensions are high every where. Hoping those patrollers are different types of people in better times. Stay safe and sane y’all. Just bought touring bindings for my kid.

I guess my trip from the 21st to the 29th is probably a no go now. Baldy is getting hammered, and hopefully there will be waves during that period.

It figures this would happen when the storms are finally lining up.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Measured 55+ inches of new snow on Horseshoe Lake today (9,000 feet). Made for an incredible slog on the way out from the Crest and an extremely difficult changeover from ski to tour mode on my CASTs. Stuck to safe terrain but didn't find any signs of instability. Insanely deep out there.

And on that note, I'm going to stop backcountry skiing tomorrow. Doesn't feel right to partake in a risky activity that could use the limited medical services that exist here.

I don't know breaking your leg touring would keep the Mammoth orthos working since all the usually cases coming off the hill each day have dried.

iscariot

What chance they reopen this season?