Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    So far the storm seems to have underperformed or not lived up to the hype.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7EB2047F-C54E-48FC-A570-B5E457250590.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	799.9 KB 
ID:	305221
    Ski patrol new snowfall sight shows nothing for most of the day after the morning hours.

Name:	376C99BB-C289-4DC1-8109-71E095E0BA7C.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	546.6 KB 
ID:	305223
    I wasn’t out on the hill today due to preseason training, but I was at Main Lodge all day. This is the accumulated snowfall from 8:00 am this morning until 4:30 pm this afternoon. Not much.

It was WET out today. Seems like temps were higher than expected. Got pounded by refreeze most of the day, almost hail. Still soft and fun.

Howard predicting 12-18 inches on the mountain overnight, it's coming down colder and hard on main street right now. Tomorrow's the day?

Rogers was $$ was today, as were the avi's. Surprised by lift ops today..didn't seem to be THAT windy, but CH1 was off, as was CH5. But snow was great, could've used more during the day.

Name:  IMG_7118.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:	20191207_155625.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	792.9 KB 
ID:	305247

Name:	20191207_103838.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	991.7 KB 
ID:	305248
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

My face took a beating with the refreeze today. Anyone want to make some turns or grab a beer manana?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnballs View Post
    Rogers was $$ was today, as were the avi's. Surprised by lift ops today..didn't seem to be THAT windy, but CH1 was off, as was CH5. But snow was great, could've used more during the day.

Name:  IMG_7118.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  59.8 KB

Get down, get down! Jungle Boogie...

Did they really report a 2 inch 24 hour total? Because that was the best 2 inches I ever got!!!

Pics at 11....

On my way!!!!

Name:	mammoth.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	305287
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Game on folks. What a huge change in two weeks.

So it looks like I'll be at the M6 for three nights with my family. We intend to spend as little time in the room as possible. Looking for some advice on:

Where can I grab some easy breakfast nearby to bring back to the room in the morning? Needs to be open by 7:30 at the latest, and easy togo. Ideally I can walk from M6, but also can take the car.

I assume the best way on/off the mountain is Red Line to Village to VG. Does it ever make sense to stay on the Redline and head up to Main? Or end at Main at the end of the day to avoid lines for the shuttle?

We will be eating out. I know a few places in town and will poke around page 1 of the thread. Any ideas for family and budget friendly. My kid is a good eater - likes most food, but likes to get up and move around a lot. Good beer on tap a plus.

I figure either the Mill or brown bag lunch; but open to suggestions.

8 year old is a strong skier. He skis Cornice and Scotty's in spring. Looking for any suggestions on how to ski the mountain. Not looking for the raddest lines, but how to easily move around the mountain, when to get to the top and backside. We plan to get out on the hill early to avoid any base congestion. I figure we need to be waiting for the redline shuttle by 8:30 at the latest. Let me know if we should be out earlier.

I'm guessing the top and the backside gets backed up on busy days. I know there are always a ton of variables, but wanted to ask if there are times of day to generally avoid McCoy or the Outpost areas. Does Chair 9 get long lines?

I figure generally 12, 20, 21, 22, 25 won't have long lines if the entire hill is open. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do the Canyon and Main base areas get congested mid morning? What about the Mill?

On windy days, is June any better of an option for skiing?

What's M6?

Motel 6?

Wet day yesterday, but it just keeps biulding the base for the rest of the season. Keep in mind it is early December, so no point in whining too much.

Playing the Mammoth Closed Lift game can be very rewarding. With so much shut down one just needs to adjust a bit to find some amazing turns. I popped over the top of 10 and had a run all the way to the base on 9 nearly totally untracked. I saw a couple of tracks, and had to cross I think two tracks. Not deep, but since there area has been closed there were no refrozen bumps or tracks to deal with, so sweet boot top powder all the way.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Motel 6, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    that was the best 2 inches I ever got!!!
    That's what she said!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You could walk across the street from Motel 6 for breakfast, there are a couple good places there (Base Camp and Shea Schatt's).

Take the shuttle to the Village Gondola and ski out of Canyon. If you want to stay on the bus to go to Main, fine. If it's springtime, then we would advise how to follow the sun (start at 15 and end your day at 14) to avoid ice. But at the start of winter, it means high winds preceding heavy storms, so it's all about what's running. Usually, you'll stay low. Being in the trees off 22 (and even 8) help in low visibility.

The rest of your questions, you're overthinking. Just go out and enjoy!

If you were patient today and waited, the Top opened at 2:50. Got two great runs in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Game on folks. What a huge change in two weeks.

So it looks like I'll be at the M6 for three nights with my family. We intend to spend as little time in the room as possible. Looking for some advice on:

Where can I grab some easy breakfast nearby to bring back to the room in the morning? Needs to be open by 7:30 at the latest, and easy togo. Ideally I can walk from M6, but also can take the car.
    I rarely get breakfast in Mammoth, I usually just eat yogurt or bagels at the condo, but the Stove is awesome, although I have not been there in years. I have never been to the Breakfast Club, but I have heard some good things. You can get stuff at Schat's too. It might make sense to just get ready, then go into the village at get bagels at New York Bagel Co. You can then proceed to the mountain.

I assume the best way on/off the mountain is Red Line to Village to VG. Does it ever make sense to stay on the Redline and head up to Main? Or end at Main at the end of the day to avoid lines for the shuttle?
    From where you are it makes sense to just go on the Red Line to the village, then the gondola. I have seen the line for the Red Line be very long in the village, sometimes you have to miss a shuttle, but I have seen the same thing at Main. There can be lines at either place. It probably just depends on where you want to end the day skiing wise. If you are getting good laps near Main at the end of the day it probably just makes sense to stay at Main and take the Red Line from there. Going to the mountain, as long as all the lifts are open I don't necessarily think it makes sense to go all the way to Main, but that is your call. I tend to just take the shuttle to the village, then gondi to Canyon.

We will be eating out. I know a few places in town and will poke around page 1 of the thread. Any ideas for family and budget friendly. My kid is a good eater - likes most food, but likes to get up and move around a lot. Good beer on tap a plus.
    There are a fair number of places, Good Life Cafe, Loco Frijoles, Liberty Bar, lots of good options. You could probably walk to some of them from where you are, but be careful crossing the street. If you want to stay in I suggest using Doorstep Deliveries. You can google them, they have a good list of places that deliver for a flat fee, I think 10$, plus tipping the delivery driver. If you don't want to go out on a given night that is what I would do. If you want to go to Mammoth Brewing Company or anywhere else in the village area after the Red Line you can use the late night trolley. It can take a bit longer to get home, it stops at more places, but it is still quite convenient. Here is a schedule:

https://www.estransit.com/routes-sch...night-trolley/

I figure either the Mill or brown bag lunch; but open to suggestions.
    Honestly I usually just get a slice of pizza for lunch. The Mill is great if it is not too crowded.

8 year old is a strong skier. He skis Cornice and Scotty's in spring. Looking for any suggestions on how to ski the mountain. Not looking for the raddest lines, but how to easily move around the mountain, when to get to the top and backside. We plan to get out on the hill early to avoid any base congestion. I figure we need to be waiting for the redline shuttle by 8:30 at the latest. Let me know if we should be out earlier.
    From our ski lease we use the yellow line, so I don't tend to use the redline anymore. 830 SHOULD be fine, but I don't know that for sure. The good thing is that if you get out at 830 and call it a bit early, like 3, the lines at Main to get back on the redline should not be quite as bad, although you never know.

It works well to ski the top slightly earlier. Around 1030 the lines for the top gondi get a bit worse. I tend to like to eat early, as around 1 you will sometimes find a lull for the upper gondi as people are eating lunch. It gets crowded again around 2, but usually by 245 the upper gondi lines are smaller. I find chair 23 has shorter lines than the upper gondi, and it DOES have a safety bar now if that is a concern. I honestly don't ski the backside unless it is a powder day.

I'm guessing the top and the backside gets backed up on busy days. I know there are always a ton of variables, but wanted to ask if there are times of day to generally avoid McCoy or the Outpost areas. Does Chair 9 get long lines?
    I usually try to eat by 1130 or noon at the latest if I am going to McCoy. I like doing that because then you can get top laps from 1230 to 130, when the lines sometimes see a lull. Chair 9 usually does not get long lines, but it just depends on crowds.
    I figure generally 12, 20, 21, 22, 25 won't have long lines if the entire hill is open. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    That is generally true, although on pow/storm days 22 is usually crowded. I tend to like 22 when the upper gondi and chair 23 are packed, I can get laps down the avi chutes without too much in the way of crowds.
    Do the Canyon and Main base areas get congested mid morning? What about the Mill?
    They tend to get a bit congested, yes. The lifts in the mill area get crowded then too, but I usually don't bother with that area.

Hope that helps.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    If you were patient today and waited, the Top opened at 2:50. Got two great runs in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    NIce!! I love those days.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

We lapped up 22 in the morning, then putzed around 5 and 3 until the top opened around 3, and got 2 laps off the top. Climax made me climax and then last gondy up, went over to WipeOut chutes to rip the shit out of that too.

Thanks for the guided tour and pics, Barnballs!

Name:  Supu_Mammoth_20191208.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  Brian-Mammoth-1208.JPG
Views: 1942
Size:  41.6 KB

Breakfast burritos and coffee at Stella Brewer just down the street from M6. For lunch hope on the village gondi and hit Sidedoor for paninis or savory crepes. Nwe York Bagel shop for real cheap.

This time of year no need to follow or avoid the sun. It is more dependent on crowds and wind. Post up when you are there and see if a Mammoth mag can show you and the kiddos around. I would, but will.lolely be heading towards CO about that time.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Lincoln delivered!
    Punani/Rollie/Red cashing in...

Name:	20191208_150035.jpg 
Size:	741.6 KB 
ID:	305374

Name:	20191208_100314.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	305376

Name:	20191208_150255.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	305372

Name:	20191208_150212.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	305373
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Nice BB and Red and Superstar! See you all in 2020

People riding rock skis? Never been to Mammy this early but am newly in socal and might be able to get out midweek. Looks good. Don't want to shred good skis though if the base is still relatively shallow.

Ahh, 6th pow day in a row for me. I thought today was great. Got 5thish chair up 5 for a couple laps with Mrs. Comish, then over to 3 where we got a couple untracked laps. 5 was super soft and the best snow of the day for me actually. Was jealous of those on 22 this morning, but by the time the groms got out it was already going, but no lineup at 5 so that's where we placed our chips. About 30 minutes later it rolled.

Then pop out after grom ski team lunch to see top of 23 out of the clouds. Hmm says Comish, the top sure does look tasty.

A bit of banter in mid and some waiting yielded 1st Gondi car to the top! I lucked out on the timing as the Comish ski bus needed to roll back to So. Cal. by 3pm sharp as Mrs. Comish is now on a Quantas flight to the land down under. Pretty cool to see Mini Comish waiting for the rope drop on backside of 3 w/ his team as I fly over on the G. Get back to the car finds out I was in the first car and came cruising down Wipe 2 and goes that was you?!?! A lovely untracked wipe out down to the car 10 minutes early!

ARS, I'm still skiing rock skis, but gotta say, didn't hit much this weekend. It's filling in pretty good. It's in that tweener time. If your careful you will be fine, if you are looking for every nook and cranny you will still hit stuff, but it's definitely skiing way better than even last Sunday. I really like my rock pow skis so don't feel like I'm losing anything there.

Saturday the Avi's were pretty delicious. Mostly wind, but gotta love the Avi's with wind deposit!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Mammoth 2019-2020- Welcome back my friends

The storm cycle ended with a bang as it dumped starting late Saturday night thru early Sunday morning with "Open Snow Mammoth" reporting 24" of new snow over the Top. By Sunday morning the storm was moving out leaving behind a weekend bluebird pow day. Ugh! I'm way more of a storm day skier myself, and after skiing Mon-Fri where there was way more fresh tracks than skiers I was hesitating going up to the mtn. Then we saw this pic from a buddy who was up on the hill already.

Name:  Alvie lineup.JPG
Views: 1826
Size:  104.7 KB
    That's ch 2, and I circled the time on the gates. Zoom in on it. 7:21 a.m. and over a dozen people were in line already. Wow, Stump Alley is now the new KT-22?
    Fuck that. So I stayed back, helped my bro shovel the deck and driveway, and watched an epic 49'ers & Saints game. But by 1:00 p.m. I couldn't stay away so I headed up to ch 4 and was greeted my a heavy downhill exodus. Nice.

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	898.8 KB 
ID:	305419
    Worked my way over to the ML side of the hill and realized that the Top had never opened. Very nice. This is from the back of Ch 3. I saw an old friend, patrol Supervisor Jayson W and asked him if the Top was going to open? His answer, "Get in line."

Game on, and at 2:50 p.m. it opened. Got a great run down Climax and went back to McCoy for one more lap.

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg 
Size:	598.1 KB 
ID:	305420
    I pushed up to the top of Ch 23, which hadn't run and dropped into Wipe Out 2 with Zero visibility as a cloud socked in the top. Vis got better a few turns in with great snow.

Name:	IMG_0980.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	618.8 KB 
ID:	305421
    Pushed over under Phileep's and got another good run.

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	432.7 KB 
ID:	305422
    Took ch 1 back up and this was the Top at 4:00 p.m.

I can hear blasting right now so I'm out the door. See you at that one place that didn't open yesterday. Set the traverse track for me, I'll be right behind you.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 12-09-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I left right before that, but after three straight days going hard to start my season, my legs were toast by then anyway. Caught one of the first chairs on Gold Rush, same for 12 mid day, and maybe the 10th chair on 5 when it popped, so got lucky overall I'd say for someone who isn't familiar with the usual mountain ops.

Got first chair on 22 yesterday. All time run down the chair line. Got down to bottom and no line. Great day.

Quote Originally Posted by A Random Skier View Post
    People riding rock skis? Never been to Mammy this early but am newly in socal and might be able to get out midweek. Looks good. Don't want to shred good skis though if the base is still relatively shallow.
    At Mammoth you can always ski rock skis as there is always something to hit if you are pushing it. Stay in the middle of everything or cruise and you will be fine, but there are always rocks somewhere. My philosophy is P-tex is cheap, so go have fun, just use common sense and stay alert.

edit to add: There many places at Mammoth were the rocks are the size of Volkswagens (Climax comes to mind), so even a five foot base still have rocks.

iscariot