Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    7:21 a.m. and over a dozen people were in line already. Wow, Stump Alley is now the new KT-22?
    Fyi that was the Ikon early ups, lift started at 7:30. If you had to get in line that early for Stump on a normal weekend I would quit skiing...

told plake i was a way fucking better skier than him today, first pro call out

karl teller and son john put brandy new snows on my shit couple weeks ago.

drop dead gorgeous waitress i was working w was in sochi

dayum there are some legit gangstarrs round here.

mammoth is the shit.

Anyone know where I can find the video of the mag tomahawking down Climax? from ten or so years back?

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, it's not Climax, but it is the classic Mammoth Tomahawk.

https://youtu.be/JtzhWnii-A8

Its actually not Star Chute either. I am pretty sure it is Kiwi's Flat.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by SkiHick View Post
    Fyi that was the Ikon early ups, lift started at 7:30. If you had to get in line that early for Stump on a normal weekend I would quit skiing...
    You are right. I had no idea that they had moved it to Sunday's.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Don't know if this is what you are looking for, it's not Climax, but it is the classic Mammoth Tomahawk.

I love this video and yeah it's definitely Kiwi Flat
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

Thank you!

The race to the Tail

Woke up early Monday to blue skies and the sound of patrol blasting the chair 9 area. Was on the Top just after 9:00 a.m. and the closure out to Dave's was still in place. Not really in the mood to stand around I decided to do some laps and wait for the ribbon to get pulled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	305634
    I ended up skiing the top half of Fresno bowl for the first time this year. Coverage was good, just use caution when "rolling" into anything you haven't skied yet this year. This is looking back up towards the top of the Gondi and it was an easy traverse back to 14. Took ch 14 up and got on the gondola back to the top. Now the fun starts.

Got to the top of G2 and a crowd was forming as a patroler said 5-10 minutes and they would be pulling the closure to Dave's and ch 9. I clicked in and got myself right in the middle of it. 10 minutes later, the "mob", which was comprised of equal numbers of boarders & skiers had grown to 50+, was frothing as the patroler walked down the stairs and dropped the rope. Game on!

It was an all out sprint out to Dave's with people pushing hard, wrecking, boarders trying to ride with one foot strapped in etc. My goal was not to get taken out before the uphill push to Daves. After a full on anerobic, Vo2 max sprint I got to the top of Daves with only two other skiers in front of me. Dave's was sweet. I went down the skiers right, made 7 or 8 big turns and hung a hard right towards the top of ch 9. A patroller was standing there and us a thumbs up on the way by. Only two skiers in front of me now as we got into the traverse across dragons back. The traverse had some big whoops in it and the skier in front of me went into them way to hot and exploded. Only one guy to beat now. At one point the traverse diverged, he went high, I guessed low, and all of a sudden I was alone. No one in sight. Pushed out to the Tail, and took a deep breath, a quick photo and dropped in.

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	866.8 KB 
ID:	305622
    Like always, the deepest and least wind affected powder is on the Tail. I crossed one ski cut, ollied over a bomb hole and the rest as untouched. This line keeps going way do into the tree's.

Name:	IMG_0990 2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	305628
    Snow was 24" of "Mammoth" blower. Run of the year so far. Got back to ch 9 for another lap.

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	305629
    Headed back out to the Tail with way more people clogging the traverse. I try not to be an asshole and yell, instead educate people that if you need to take a break, no big deal. Just step up above the traverse, let people go by, then when your ready drop back in. But it's definitely frustrating when your carrying speed and come motoring around the corner and some dude is sprawled out in the track. Ok, Done venting. Pushed out a little farther, found another great line. Did one more after that, then cruised the top for the rest of the day.

Name:	IMG_0993 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1,010.2 KB 
ID:	305631
    On a cautionary note, this is my Bro's place last night with ton's of snow and ice mix about to come off his roof. I see people all the time parking cars or standing underneath this with no idea what's above them. Longtime Mammoth locals/skiers can still remember when a very young child at a local day care center was out playing in the snow when the roof slid, buried her and she passed away.

It's been an amazing run of skiing this past week. I skied Mon-Fri, took Saturday off, then skied Sunday & Monday. The skiing got better every single day. Three weeks agos I was in the woe is me mode, whining to my girlfriend. Now I'm hearing her favorite words, "I told you so." Yes you did babe.
    Back in Galena for now, off to Rose to take a few runs and pick up the boy. Enjoy the mountain, ski safe.

My worn-out legs were loving the wind sift that was all over the mountain today.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Thank you!
    See, it's not hard to be nice to me

...and your welcome. Was that the vid you were looking for?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

A tone here ever rent a place in Mammoth via Craigslist? Found a solid place, price seems too good.

"deleted"

Just feeling like it is too good to be true. PayPal or Venmo payment only. No tax.
    Last edited by Ottime; 12-11-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Can't say I know anything about the property or owner, but the Town of Mammoth Lakes is a bit wierd. Legally you can't rent a house for less then a month (or it used to be that way.) People still rent for shorter periods, but minimize the paper trail and so names and addresses should not be published.
    Most likely why this is a Craigslist listing. A quick Zillow search shows the house was sold recently, so the new buyer might just be trying to get some cash flow.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Woke up early Monday to blue skies and the sound of patrol blasting the chair 9 area. Was on the Top just after 9:00 a.m. and the closure out to Dave's was still in place. Not really in the mood to stand around I decided to do some laps and wait for the ribbon to get pulled.

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	305634
    I ended up skiing the top half of Fresno bowl for the first time this year. Coverage was good, just use caution when "rolling" into anything you haven't skied yet this year. This is looking back up towards the top of the Gondi and it was an easy traverse back to 14. Took ch 14 up and got on the gondola back to the top. Now the fun starts.

Got to the top of G2 and a crowd was forming as a patroler said 5-10 minutes and they would be pulling the closure to Dave's and ch 9. I clicked in and got myself right in the middle of it. 10 minutes later, the "mob", which was comprised of equal numbers of boarders & skiers had grown to 50+, was frothing as the patroler walked down the stairs and dropped the rope. Game on!

It was an all out sprint out to Dave's with people pushing hard, wrecking, boarders trying to ride with one foot strapped in etc. My goal was not to get taken out before the uphill push to Daves. After a full on anerobic, Vo2 max sprint I got to the top of Daves with only two other skiers in front of me. Dave's was sweet. I went down the skiers right, made 7 or 8 big turns and hung a hard right towards the top of ch 9. A patroller was standing there and us a thumbs up on the way by. Only two skiers in front of me now as we got into the traverse across dragons back. The traverse had some big whoops in it and the skier in front of me went into them way to hot and exploded. Only one guy to beat now. At one point the traverse diverged, he went high, I guessed low, and all of a sudden I was alone. No one in sight. Pushed out to the Tail, and took a deep breath, a quick photo and dropped in.

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	866.8 KB 
ID:	305622
    Like always, the deepest and least wind affected powder is on the Tail. I crossed one ski cut, ollied over a bomb hole and the rest as untouched. This line keeps going way do into the tree's.

Name:	IMG_0990 2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	305628
    Snow was 24" of "Mammoth" blower. Run of the year so far. Got back to ch 9 for another lap.

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	305629
    Headed back out to the Tail with way more people clogging the traverse. I try not to be an asshole and yell, instead educate people that if you need to take a break, no big deal. Just step up above the traverse, let people go by, then when your ready drop back in. But it's definitely frustrating when your carrying speed and come motoring around the corner and some dude is sprawled out in the track. Ok, Done venting. Pushed out a little farther, found another great line. Did one more after that, then cruised the top for the rest of the day.

Name:	IMG_0993 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1,010.2 KB 
ID:	305631
    On a cautionary note, this is my Bro's place last night with ton's of snow and ice mix about to come off his roof. I see people all the time parking cars or standing underneath this with no idea what's above them. Longtime Mammoth locals/skiers can still remember when a very young child at a local day care center was out playing in the snow when the roof slid, buried her and she passed away.

It's been an amazing run of skiing this past week. I skied Mon-Fri, took Saturday off, then skied Sunday & Monday. The skiing got better every single day. Three weeks agos I was in the woe is me mode, whining to my girlfriend. Now I'm hearing her favorite words, "I told you so." Yes you did babe.
    Back in Galena for now, off to Rose to take a few runs and pick up the boy. Enjoy the mountain, ski safe.
    As always, great shots ESS.

I particularly like the tail shots, the snow looks light and soft. I love that area.

I agree completely about traverses. It can get annoying when people do that.

I will be up next week for about a week, finally. It has been killing me to miss this, thankfully the surf last weekend was nuts in Newport.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

https://youtu.be/h_D3VFfhvs4

Figuring out mobile, sorry for the jank link.

For the record. I'm torn. Cool place. If we all swallow divisiveness, then so be it.

Prob ripping today.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Well thanks Debbie downer.
    In case you have not noticed. Noone cares about you are feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    As always, great shots ESS.

I particularly like the tail shots, the snow looks light and soft. I love that area.

I agree completely about traverses. It can get annoying when people do that.

I will be up next week for about a week, finally. It has been killing me to miss this, thankfully the surf last weekend was nuts in Newport.
    Mammoth has the worst traversing etiquette of any hill I have been on. It appears only a handful of people have any idea how so ski/board a traverse. Not only do they stop and rest, they stop in groups and hang out. Worse yet it they donx t stay in one traverse but make literally hundreds of different line such that one one drips in for the properly set high line there can be hundreds of vertical feet of traverse tracks to cross. I have lost fillings for all the rattling across them. I would really like to see the grooming departmemt, or patrol, or who ever does such things put up a High T sign, and establish a real traverse out across the Dragon. Alta seems to manage it just fine as do many other mountains.

It really pisses me off on Dave's were the idiots (mostly boarders) cut across the face to get to the easier terrain of Roma's. The top third of Dave's is often totally destroyed by these idiots who don't/can't deal with the flat cat track.

Steeps off soap box

iscariot

Drop 3 today did not suck.

Nor did the Noids. Super light. Sleeper pow day for sure.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Skied a couple of lines off of Dragons Back on Sunday. Definitely a sleeper pow day, still good stuff to be had at like 2pm.

Did an early morning drive on Friday down to Mammoth hoping to find some wind buff conditions. Overall today did not disappoint.

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	784.6 KB 
ID:	307093
    Cool sunrise this morning as I drove through Carson City. Paid $2.95 per gallon for gas when I filled up in Carson today. Liking that.

Name:	IMG_1065.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	711.3 KB 
ID:	307094
    I was on the hill by 9:30. The groomers were great and the crowds fairly light early on. Winds were building out of the WSW, and the ridge line in between Cornice and Dropouts was good.

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	307097
    Ch 3 skied really well as the winds picked up. West Bowl with soft wind blown bumps.

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	307098
    More West Bowl with the wind buffing the snow out.

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	944.2 KB 
ID:	307099
    Dave's was by far the best skiing off the top. It got better and better through out the day. You can see by the size of the snow tornado in the center that the wind machine was in effect.

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	564.8 KB 
ID:	307100
    Wipe Outs weren't bad either, but with the low sun angle this time of year and just a bit of high clouds I couldn't see shit up there late in the day. The shadows were tough.

Name:	IMG_1076 2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1,005.5 KB 
ID:	307101
    Face of Ch 5, right down the chairline was another good spot today with the wind buffing it out.

Big winds forecasted for Saturday in excess of 80+mph over †he ridges. Could limit lift operations by the afternoon.
    Also, Town was filling up tonight as I made a Von's run. I suspect that some people are trying to get in a few more days before their IKON pass blacks out foe Christmas.

Skied from 9:00 til 2:00 pm today under overcast skies and windy conditions as you went higher up. Here's a screen shot of the 12:00 noon conditions at the top of G2 today...21/2019 12:00 PM temp-28.05 deg, wind direction-WSW (246.85°), max gust-58.80 mph, average wind speed-52.90 mph.
    For the weekend before Xmas, the crowds were very manageable with the longest lines I hit had 4-6 minute waits.

Name:	IMG_1077.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	663.3 KB 
ID:	307236
    Gray skies hung around for most of the day, again making it tough to see up top. Daves & the Wipe outs had great, silky wind blown snow in them and skied great when you could see.

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	666.3 KB 
ID:	307237
    Lower Drop outs from Ch 23.

Name:	IMG_1080 2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	652.8 KB 
ID:	307238
    A lone skier in Wipe Out 2 coming down right after I did. Hero snow in it.

Name:	IMG_1082.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	959.5 KB 
ID:	307239
    Grabbed a few free Dead stickers from the ML Sport Shop. The Chris Benchetler movie "Fire On the Mtn" has been getting alot of press lately.
    Here's a link to the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egPhTynrLOA

Sounds like a windy day tomorrow with snow forecasts up to 8-10" over the Mtn.

Hi everyone, upon the advice of another TGR poster I'm posting on here too. I am from London in the UK and touring the US in a truck camper on a ski sabbatical this season. Frist stop is Mammoth on Jan 4th to 6th. If anyone local is around those days and fancies a beer, coffee, ride (I snowboard) or is even just willing to let me park on your driveway please drop me a message.

Chair 5 currently running at 1/4 speed. Avoid at all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums