Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    What chance they reopen this season?
    Slim to none. There would be staffing issues.

^^^Even if they just opened Main? Seems like there are a lot of local employees; enough to service a few lifts and minimal services. Want to feel hopeful about spring with all this snow falling.

Pretty sure they can do it w/ the full time employees on a limited basis out of Main. That is how they operating into June/July typically. You see all the higher up's being lifties.

The bigger questions is Corona and snow. Still need more than we have for it to be a long season which we will need to have any chance if things opening again.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Had to save this thread from the bottom of page 2.

JHFC

Not my edit, just showed up in my suggestions. Never been there but this belongs. Question for the locals, where is that zone 4:16-5:03? Is that the town in the background? Kinda low angle but hey, pillows are pillows! Fun shit!

Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Poacher View Post
    Had to save this thread from the bottom of page 2.

JHFC

Not my edit, just showed up in my suggestions. Never been there but this belongs. Question for the locals, where is that zone 4:16-5:03? Is that the town in the background? Kinda low angle but hey, pillows are pillows! Fun shit!

Go up chair 12, traverse over to White Bark Bowl and head on down. Not gnarly and very fun. It is below Phillips. O, I see it cuts to those pillows. No idea where those are
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I thought those were low-mid tide in the lower dragons zone off 9. No?

Under Wazoo. Early season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I thought those were low-mid tide in the lower dragons zone off 9. No?
    I believe that you are right. I think that is low-mid tide tail.

I should be at Mammoth right now. I should have been there since Saturday, coming back Sunday. Oh well, first world problems. Hopefully tomorrow things will be clean and I can find a spot in the lineup that is at least 10 feet from anyone.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

That is what I was thinking. Definitely not White Bark region.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I believe that you are right. I think that is low-mid tide tail.

I should be at Mammoth right now. I should have been there since Saturday, coming back Sunday. Oh well, first world problems. Hopefully tomorrow things will be clean and I can find a spot in the lineup that is at least 10 feet from anyone.
    Lucky, if you can still surf. Beaches are closed in the city of san diego.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Beaches are open in my hood, but the waves suck
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

This summer's lift replacements are canceled.

https://liftblog.com/2020/04/06/alte...-construction/

I have not been in the water in more than a week. I've been trying to practice social distancing, but it got tough out there, not enough people doing the same, so I decided it is best to stay out of the water.

Mammoth has gotten 110 inches at Main since they shutdown. Baldy has gotten pounded too. It would have been a great spring.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMountainSkier View Post
    This summer's lift replacements are canceled.

https://liftblog.com/2020/04/06/alte...-construction/
    That guys blog is odd. He seems to follow all lifts in the US, and catalogs them, including fair grounds, amusement parks and the smallest of ski resorts. Of course he totally missed Mt Rose, but not Alta Sierra or Ganlibakken.

What a spring this would have been. We had so many days planned in mArch, April, and May this year. All along I was confident it would start snowing some time in March. I was right. I did see the virus coming. I recall being worried our President's Week trip might cancel due to the virus, so I for sure saw it coming. Had no idea it was going to be a full stop.

Long duc dong, I wonder how long before O county closes beaches and surfing. The lack of social distancing in the water is what got SC to close. That, and trying to keep the damn tourist away. Apparently we had a Dutch family in town last week who have been traveling the Northwest for the past three weeks in their RV. This is why we can not have nice things.

Long duc dong, I wonder how long before O county closes beaches and surfing. The lack of social distancing in the water is what got SC to close. .
    I would think soon. Newport closed the boardwalk, although not the beaches, a while ago.

I remember surfing early during the shutdown, maybe March 20, and I could not believe what I saw. I was walking to the surf, looking and finding an open spot, but I saw people just cruising along the boardwalk not even TRYING to practice social distancing. They closed the boardwalk soon after that. On the beach, at least from what I saw in Newport, things were a bit better. People were staying with the group they came with and spreading out. Most people I saw on the beach were around 100 feet, at least, from other groups. The water was worse of course, people stacking up next to the jetty. The peaks just north and south of the HB pier were also packed, it looked like a normal day. HB and Newport both have plenty of surfable peaks, granted not quite as good as the primo ones, but people CAN spread out if they really want to. I guess for me it is not a big deal, I am mediocre and I know it, so it is second nature to look for the grade B peaks and not compete for the best waves. For people used to surfing the best peaks, well from what I have been seeing they are just not doing that.

I'm sure you have seen that Lowers is now closed. I think HB and Newport, maybe all of Orange County, will be next. The powers that be have got to know how the jetties in Newport have looked on the good days.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

That guys blog is odd. He seems to follow all lifts in the US, and catalogs them, including fair grounds, amusement parks and the smallest of ski resorts. Of course he totally missed Mt Rose, but not Alta Sierra or Ganlibakken.
    https://liftblog.com/mt-rose-nv/

Mammoth 2019-2020- Welcome back my friends

Oh fuck. Forgot that is in Nevada. Thanks.

I love reading through the data. But wonder how line speed works. Some of those lifts move at a faster clip than other in my experience. But maybe I was just high.

cops parked at mammoth offramps making sure only locals are entering town
    also saw an interesting map of covid per county and surprisingly, mono is at the top of the list when looked at per capita

They have been threatening to do this for weeks. As a 2nd home owner who sheltered in my condo for 2 weeks and didn't go out, I thought it was fairly lame. Some of the comments by locals on the local Facebook posts are a bit over the top.

I get it, they don't 20k people from LA heading up there, the hospital is small, etc but it seems very much like a "pull up the drawbridge" mentality.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    cops parked at mammoth offramps making sure only locals are entering town
    also saw an interesting map of covid per county and surprisingly, mono is at the top of the list when looked at per capita
    Is this happening now? Im in an interesting spot and have to make it into town at some point to pick up gear from our seasonal rental before the lease ends. Not sure if they will let me in. Planning on heading back south right after and camping in BLM land for the evening then going home. Any intel is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You're just going to have to explain your situation to the cop stopping you from entering town. Good luck.

That's what I figured! Was more trying to confirm if there is actually a road block in place currently.

Mono County - highest per capita (but small sample size).

Main problem is that there are no back-ups or fail-safes. If Mammoth and Bishop hospitals exceed their tiny capacity, Reno is the fallback, and that's a flight away.

Article: https://www.kunr.org/post/mono-count...sting#stream/0

Can anyone local to Mono/Inyo share what the BC snowpack looks like around there? I was down in February and it was about as grim as I've ever seen it. Like you couldn't ski the TOP of Mt. Wood, never mind the bottom. And the March storms were cold, relatively "dry" (for CA) storms that favored Tahoe more than Mammoth. This latest series is hitting more down there, but still probably not enough moisture to make a big change in the overall pack. Hoping we can go ski the East Side in May without violating any statewide/county orders. Anyway...beta?
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Mono County - highest per capita (but small sample size).

Main problem is that there are no back-ups or fail-safes. If Mammoth and Bishop hospitals exceed their tiny capacity, Reno is the fallback, and that's a flight away.

Article: https://www.kunr.org/post/mono-count...sting#stream/0

Can anyone local to Mono/Inyo share what the BC snowpack looks like around there? I was down in February and it was about as grim as I've ever seen it. Like you couldn't ski the TOP of Mt. Wood, never mind the bottom. And the March storms were cold, relatively "dry" (for CA) storms that favored Tahoe more than Mammoth. This latest series is hitting more down there, but still probably not enough moisture to make a big change in the overall pack. Hoping we can go ski the East Side in May without violating any statewide/county orders. Anyway...beta?
    Snowpack is the best it's been all season. In the June Lake Loop, there is more than enough snow to ski down to valley floor.

Check out the Loop Cam when it clears

^^^^ good luck with your biz weathering the storm j+++