Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Chaos on the Mtn as winds are shutting everything down. Lines are gigantic. Prior to that the wind buff on 23 got good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Windbuff on Dave’s Run was pretty good in the afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

+1 whipeout chutes marginally better than the other side (name escapes me). Wind is blowing it onto cloud nine express side haven't tried getting there yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1159.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	714.8 KB 
ID:	309284
    Wind blown snow in the Wipeouts on Friday on our last run just before everything started to shut down.

Name:	59555C6C-DB00-4E24-8F98-B079859B58C4.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	446.0 KB 
ID:	310046
    Things are looking up already! After skiing flat light conditions and rock hard snow off 23 yesterday, this was a nice change. Suns out and found some hero wind buff on Dave’s with no one else on it A promising start to the day.

Skied on Friday, which wasn't bad. Dave's had good wind blown on it, and some ok skiing could be found in sections of the Top as well. Friday was noticeably more crowded, and with hard & fast conditions and a tail wind as well, lots of people were going really fast. I was arcing turns down Haven't the Foggiest late in the day when some dude on rockered skis with feet locked together and way in the back seat blew by me in a straight run. Scary. Keep your situational awareness up at all times.

Went down to SD to visit the folks this weekend and saw the SDSU mens basketball team roll over Boise State. Aztecs are really good. I got up early this morning and headed back to Mammoth and was on the hill by noon. I'll sum up the snow conditions with this.......I should have stayed in SD. Snow pretty much sucks up top. About the only good thing I can say about today is the hill was empty. Main reason is the snow sucks, and the winds were howling again today. A few pics.

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	310556
    First run up ch 16 with guns blowing snow from the bottom of Downhill......

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	310557
    all the way to the top. Lots of floating gravel on the groomers being blown in by the wind.

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	310558
    Went up Top to find that the snow conditions have really deteriorated since Friday. Lower Dropout.

Name:	IMG_1228 2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	972.2 KB 
ID:	310559
    Dropout 2 area. Had some great runs in there last month. Not now. Most of the Top has been wind hammered. It's not unskiable, but it's not fun.

Name:	IMG_1229.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	310561
    Lower Wipeout area. In every picture you can see the snow surface has that same moon scaped, wind ripped texture.

Name:	IMG_1230.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	310562
    Looking back up lower Wipeout with 23 in the back ground. The winds have scoured out and blown away just about all the soft snow. Trying to think of the best term for the snow up top right now. Wind boarded, wind ripped, scoured, moon scaped???
    Face of Ch 3 has bare spots on it now, and if you do the traverse from the ch 9 across Gold Hill to the face of 5 you'll love the pattern left in your skis from pumice that is all over the place.

Mammoth needs snow, badly. The skiing was way better a month ago than it is now, and today’s conditions on the upper Mtn were the “worst” I’ve skied this season. The forecast is for a decent shot of snow on Thursday. Prediction is it will be blower pow. We need Sierra cement to cover up the rocks that are coming up everywhere.

May be time to make a run for the PNW. Check out the Mt Baker web site.
    https://www.mtbaker.us/snow-report
    They've got the deepest base in North America, and mid week lift tickets are $59.39. That's not a typo. What a bargain.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 01-14-2020 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks for the update on conditions!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Coral reef.

Last w/e was a bit of shit show w/ winds and Far West races. Felt bad for the Tahoe teams that came down to get a total of 1 GS race run in. Argh. Definitely annoying.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Coral reef.

Last w/e was a bit of shit show w/ winds and Far West races. Felt bad for the Tahoe teams that came down to get a total of 1 GS race run in. Argh. Definitely annoying.
    Interesting. It makes me feel not quite as bad about staying down south and hitting Baldy. Baldy has had fun groomers, and some fun off-groomer turns in the right spots. It is also an hour and 20 minutes from my house. I love it when Baldy has coverage.

We are driving up early Friday morning and skiing through Monday. I'm really hoping this next storm helps refresh things.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Ya....this weekend was a bit lost.
    Friday afternoon was fine...wind-blown filled gullies here and there.
    Saturday was an epic fail...maybe 5 runs to Eagle, and that's after driving to June and observing a 45 min line for J1. Discovered many new drinking coordinates. New bar at Canyon kinda blowz? But Distant brewing (old black doubt) is rather tasty.
    Sunday - bit better (Climax & 5 good), but got stuck at main around noon...all lifts out of main closed (chair 6 closed...REALLY??)...took bus to chair 4 for some more scraped annoyance.

Climax/Upper Dry - decent chalk

Name:	Mam3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	639.6 KB 
ID:	310694

Main Pipe Cut. Large.

Name:	Mam4.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	310695
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Monday was fun but grooming activities are starting to hit dirt on the face of 3, so there were pebbles galore. Tuesday I got dunked as nothing was running until 1pm. Hoping today is similar to Monday's fun. The mountain needs tomorrows storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnballs View Post
    Ya....this weekend was a bit lost.
    Friday afternoon was fine...wind-blown filled gullies here and there.
    Saturday was an epic fail...maybe 5 runs to Eagle, and that's after driving to June and observing a 45 min line for J1. Discovered many new drinking coordinates. New bar at Canyon kinda blowz? But Distant brewing (old black doubt) is rather tasty.
    Sunday - bit better (Climax & 5 good), but got stuck at main around noon...all lifts out of main closed (chair 6 closed...REALLY??)...took bus to chair 4 for some more scraped annoyance.

Climax/Upper Dry - decent chalk

Name:	Mam3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	639.6 KB 
ID:	310694

Main Pipe Cut. Large.

Name:	Mam4.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	310695
    That Climax/Upper Creek shot looks better than most of what I have seen in photos recently. I probably would have just kept lapping that.

I really hope this next storm does pan out.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Yesterday ended up being fun, although not epic. The new snow helped things, although there are still rocks around. Some bumps are forming, they could use some wind to buff things out.

I skied the top most of the day, some laps on Dave's, Climax, a couple of Paranoids laps and the area under Monuments. The snow was mixed some cutup crud, afew bumps, some firm patches. The best snow I found was the skier's right area of Climax, under the TOTW, fun, cutup snow. Some of the other stretches of Climax are a bit bumped out. Dave's was fun, but mixed, with some firm, bumpy sections and some nice sections of cutup snow. The Paranoids had some good cutup turns, but a few firm patches too. The entrances to the noids are pretty bony, it it worth a lap or two, because the snow is good, but I found the snow on the skier's right of Climax to be better. The nuisance of getting to the noids and getting into them kept me from making more laps, it is pretty good, but not great.

The crowds are actually quite limited. I was practically walking on to the mid-station gondi, and chair 23 was light too. I don't know if I have ever seen an MLK weekend so light. Often when I ski this weekend I end of skiing the Avi chutes to avoid crowds on the upper mountain, but yesterday was not bad.

The mountain is fun, it is skiing pretty well right now if you find the right spots, but they REALLY need several feet of good Sierra cement.

Yesterday ended up being REALLY fun. Started at 9 and skied a couple of chair 5 groomers, which were great, then went over two chair 9 for a couple more groomers. The chair 9 area was really nice, the wind was blowing snow into it for a nice buff. We could see the doing its thing on Dave's so we headed up there, and it did not disappoint. While there were still bumps, the wind was blowing the snow in between them, for a beautiful buff that got better as the day went on. We did about 8 laps and called it to drive home. If you found the right line it was really nice. Yesterday was the first day the wind machine really worked. I hope it keeps going. Climax looked like it might be getting buffed, but I could not tell.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Yeah, I needed some good MJ. Thanks.

You guys run into SuPu?
    Think he did me. Some dude on a lift. May be back in May.

PSA: Hotels.com currently has rooms at Shilo Inn Suites - Mammoth Lakes for $26 a night the Friday and Sat of memorial day weekend. It jumps up in price if you try and book Monday night too.

Mammoth 2019-2020- Welcome back my friends

Thanks. Booked Fri/Sat. Will be there with the kiddo for Fri-Sun skiing. Amazing deal. Hope it was not an error that they later retract.

With fees the booking was a bit pricier. Came to $59.50. For the two nights.
    Last edited by Ottime; 01-25-2020 at 11:32 AM.

^^^^Smokin good deal. Was the Ikon pass blacked out those dates as that is the only thing that makes sense to me for the great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

No blackout. No idea why. Booked it because it was cheap and I can cancel anytime before May 20th. Fuck. I would normally camp out somewhere that time of year, but at $30 a night it is like being back in the 70s. And a free breakfast.

Decent snow today esp on 22 & 23 but dayum the idiot factor was off the charts. Ch 23 was stopping 3+ times per ride due to aspiring beginners struggling to get on or off the chair.

On 23! What the fuck were they doing on 23? Not exactly a lift for people learning to get on and off.

Not that my kid ever had a problem loading or unloading 23 in the last three years, but maybe they were just short rippers having a hard time getting on. Still that kind of sucks having it stop. Not sure how you have a hard time getting off that chair. Tips up until the bump forces you off.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    PSA: Hotels.com currently has rooms at Shilo Inn Suites - Mammoth Lakes for $26 a night the Friday and Sat of memorial day weekend. It jumps up in price if you try and book Monday night too.
    Thanks for tip, booked it for Friday night, see you there, lol. Saturday was regular price, might stay at 2002 4Runner suites that night.

Won't be upset if they cancel it, glitches happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Not that my kid ever had a problem loading or unloading 23 in the last three years, but maybe they were just short rippers having a hard time getting on. Still that kind of sucks having it stop. Not sure how you have a hard time getting off that chair. Tips up until the bump forces you off.
    Certainly a possibility, but it is hard to imagine. I was 9 when I started skiing at Belleayre, the giant of the Catskills, and I did not have a hard time getting off the lift. I guess little rippers might have trouble, but it still seems strange. If it was for kids that can ski 23 but are still too small to get off easily there is something awesome being that good that young. I guess I will go with that, it seems more positive. I don't have kids, so it is hard for me to gauge just what age would have trouble on and off.

^^^my kid is smaller than average. Turns 9 in May. This is the first year he is tall enough to not need to jump to get his ass high enough to get on the seat.

It is more getting on than off that was a challenge the last few years on fixed grip. He has been getting off no problem since he was 4.

More likely it was adults getting gripped and freezing going into the tunnel. Any kid would be stoked on that top station.