Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yeah, glad I got more then enough ski days in to pay for my pass. Who knows how this winter will finish up. Looking like February is shot. Let's hope for a March miracle.
    Well, with 10 days in, I guess my pass is covered but sheese. So many fun days last season, this year not 1 powder day for me. Here is hoping for a Miracle March.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Climax & Upper Dry Creek yesterday were the best runs off the top. Surprisingly good with wind blown conditions. Rest of the top ranges from ok to suck. Try to get a few pics today.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I will be up this weekend. Leaving Friday morning, skiing Friday Saturday and Sunday. I was hoping to leave Thursday morning, but the scientists I'm working with have been somewhat slow in getting back to me regarding questions they want answered, which has resulted in a Thursday meeting. Luckily they are scientists, so I won't have to put on a corpo casual uniform.

I really hope this pattern changes. The dweeb is saying that could happen in March, we will see. It makes me really thankful for the early snow. At least we have a base to ski on.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but here is a ski bus from the LA area that seems like a good idea:

https://lamammothbus.com/about/

So far they only have 1 day trips, but if they start to book multi-day trips I would be in. My wife usually comes with me and we bring the dog, so it would not work for both of us, but on weekends when I go by myself this would be cool if I could go on Saturday morning and come back on Sunday.

EDIT: I just received a return email from them about going on Saturday morning and coming back on Sunday evening. It is doable, here is the response:

###
    To answer your question. Yes, you have the option to return on a different day at an additional cost (this is because we currently don't offer one way tickets back from Mammoth to LA).

After you purchase your first ticket, you will receive an email that has a coupon code for a 50% discount. For your return trip, you must book another 1-Day ticket.
    For example, if you took a shuttle out of Los Angeles on Saturday, then you will need to purchase a 1-Day ticket for Sunday's date. The total cost would be $149.

Also, your return trip must be within 7 calendar days from the purchase of your original ticket. Otherwise, your order will be canceled and you will be refunded for the "return" ticket.
    If you wish to return after 7 days has passed from your original trip, please purchase another 1-Day trip and only ride the "return" bus.
    ###

This is definitely a good idea.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 02-18-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Mammoth skied great today for a tourist. Even had fun off piste for the most part. Mostly just toured around the resort putting down some miles. My 8 yr old put in over 27k in vertical which has him stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Mammoth skied great today for a tourist. Even had fun off piste for the most part. Mostly just toured around the resort putting down some miles. My 8 yr old put in over 27k in vertical which has him stoked.
    Nice! Glad you are having fun. Sometimes when Mammoth is having a not so great year I think back to Hunter, Belleayre and Ski Whyndam. Even in a bad year we are lucky.

Yeah, even on "bad" days Mammoth can be fun. There is such a variety of terrain and views that even just cruising around from one end to the other is interesting because it is so different.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I really hope this pattern changes. The dweeb is saying that could happen in March, we will see.
    The Dweeber has been calling for a pattern change all winter... Much respect to HS but I'm not holding my breath til I see an AR on the radar for myself =). Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiHick View Post
    The Dweeber has been calling for a pattern change all winter... Much respect to HS but I'm not holding my breath til I see an AR on the radar for myself =). Here's hoping!
    I'm with you there. Let's just keep hoping. We are really lucky we got the early base.

Another fun day out there and it is fucking empty. Have not waited in any real line in two days. Maybe a one minute back up on broadway and stump alley. Crazy how empty this place feels.

Upper Dry Creek and Face of Five were my winners for offpiste, with little bits of fun here and there off 12,14 and 9. Cruisers were pretty nice all over, except face of 3, which felt glossy.

I was at Mammoth the day Dave passed. What a legend. Thanks for making Mammoth and the Eastern Sierra possible, Dave!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200209_124707.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	316648
    sproing!

My wife was loving the Dave documentary playing at Eleven53.

I’m loving upper dry creek buff laps.

I’m loving upper dry creek buff laps.
    It’s amazing how good that Climax & Upper Dry Creek line is. I’ve been out with some ripping kids classes lapping that area all week long. It’s even more amazing when you look at the rest of the Top, much of it being virtually un-skiable wind scour. Also, how empty has Mammoth been this week? You couldn’t find a line anywhere. Walked onto G2 at McCoy’s all day with, most times with no one on front of us. While I wish it were dumping outside, if it’s not the weather today couldn’t be any more perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, that part of the mountain is killer. I enjoyed bumps on Acts and Redwing(?), but under the Gondola was the place to be. Skied Dave's twice in the afternoon with my kid. Pretty nice over there as well, but not as nice. Just could not get myself to bring my 8 year old over the exposure on Climax. He would likely be fine, but would never forgive myself if he slipped.

I keep being told this is how the lines are during mid week, even President's Week. I can't believe it. We've been walking onto he Gondola, and often have a private cabin. It has been insane. I think I'm going to get out for an hour plus in the morning tomorrow, and then grab the family and head to June. We fear waiting in three minute lines with the Friday crowd. Back to Kirkwood Saturday and then home. Been a fun week of skiing.

Only have great things to say about Mammoth and June. Super friendly and helpful staff. When I left my gloves on the Gondola, they radioed down and I was told to see if they found them at the mid station. Got there and no gloves. The mid station dude radios all around. They have not yet been found. There was also some random lady there with the same issue. Mid station dude comes back with two pair of gloves for us each to use. They had been in lost and found for a week, and tells us to check the bottom station later to see if they are found. My kid and I ski Dave’s, to 2 to Gondola base, and they have my gloves. I just handed the liners back to the mid station attendant as we go by. Thanks Mammoth. The loners were great, but my gloves fit better.

Skied Mammoth from 8:30-10am, checked out and drove to June. We literally parked in the front row at about 11:30am. That mountain is great. I did. It realize two of their lifts were high speed, and some of their groomers have a real nice pitch. Found the best snow of the week on the bumps on Sunset. Not as smooth as Upper Dry Creek, but it was soft. Also found nice chalky bumps in Pro Bowl. Really like that hill and will probably return. And the download is super scenic.

Only have great things to say about Mammoth and June. Super friendly and helpful staff. When I left my gloves on the Gondola, they radioed down and I was told to see if they found them at the mid station. Got there and no gloves. The mid station dude radios all around. They have not yet been found. There was also some random lady there with the same issue. Mid station dude comes back with two pair of gloves for us each to use. They had been in lost and found for a week, and tells us to check the bottom station later to see if they are found. My kid and I ski Dave’s, to 2 to Gondola base, and they have my gloves. I just handed the liners back to the mid station attendant as we go by. Thanks Mammoth. The loners were great, but my gloves fit better.

Skied Mammoth from 8:30-10am, checked out and drove to June. We literally parked in the front row at about 11:30am. That mountain is great. I did. It realize two of their lifts were high speed, and some of their groomers have a real nice pitch. Found the best snow of the week on the bumps on Sunset. Not as smooth as Upper Dry Creek, but it was soft. Also found nice chalky bumps in Pro Bowl. Really like that hill and will probably return. And the download is super scenic.
    Hey man,
    Sent you a PM. Check your messages when you get a chance. Good call on going to June today. Mammoth was noticeably more crowded today. I heard the figure of 14,000 skiers today. Clouds came in as well and the light got flat up top. But what a good time Monday thru Thursday was with empty slopes, no lines, and some great skiing on Upper Dry Creek. Pray for snow.

Mammoth 2019-2020- Welcome back my friends

Yesterday was great. Enjoyed my hot laps at Mammoth early. Enjoyed getting off the top for a few runs and the. Skiing down to Eagle only to see that corral full with a full standing room only shuttle coming in. Could not believe how empty June was and how much fun it was. We were a little concerned we would get bored until we were 3/4 of the way up J6, and the. Saw the terrain to J4 and J7. Had a blast lapping those slopes. Even still had a little gnar at the top with the tin cover.

We will be back. Thanks for the PM ESS. I’ll reply when we get home. Funny, as I thought about messaging you of the roads looked iffy as I see you travel 395 plenty.

More Mammoth accolades:

Ate at Meltery or what ever the place at the Outpost is called. Grilled Cheese and Soups. We got two of each for about $32. Supplemented with carrots, celery and beer from my backpack, it was a great meal. Really tasty grilled cheeses and soups with s killer view and no crowds. We sat on an outdoor couch near a fire looking up at the Hemlocks. Would spend money there again. It wasn’t cheap, but no more expensive than two crappy burgers at Kirkwood.

Super efficient shuttle system. Never saw one more than a minute or two late. Always was able to get onto a bus and find a seat. Eagle express never had a line between 8:33 and 9:15 when I loaded. Nor at noon or the end of the day when I was down there. Only time I saw a line was at 10:05 on Friday. But that might be expected and it was not as huge as I might have thought considering all the lodging that is along the Green Line.

Super friendly and helpful staff everywhere. Take a free mountain tour with Wayne out of Main Lodge at 10:15. My wife and son did and they had a blast. Talked to a lot of tourist who had no idea it was offered. Wayne was awesome. They didn’t go anywhere I did t but Wayne showed them how to avoid crowds and find good snow. For free.

This weekend was lots of fun, despite being firm.

Saturday was socked in up high, so we hit some groomers and then ended up lapping Gravy Chute in the afternoon. Gravy was a blast. It was firm, but still very edgable and fun. I was skiing the skier's left chute up high, then hitting the skier's right chute down below. There are some rocks, but it actually made fun obstacles to wiggle through. I don't ski Gravy all that much, but it was really great today.

Sunday was blue bird. We started with a bunch of chair 9 laps, which was nice, then hit up some top laps. We were hitting Dave's and Climax off the top. As has been said before, it was firm but edgable. I had a blast on both Dave's and Climax, those are the areas I would recommend.

Here is a video of me on Climax. I still suck with the gopro, so you might want to fast forward over the first 50 seconds. The skier's right area of Climax, under the TOTW cliffs, was smooth and fun.

The crowds were not bad at all. A couple of small waits on the upper gondi, but really not bad.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 02-24-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Anybody else think Mammothxs Ikon perks are just about worthless? Just an email saying if you visit midweek you get $100 to spend. Fine print is you have to stay at Mammoth properties...fuck that. Early ups is marginal, free breakfast is okay. Late ups is only a couple lower lifts, so not a big deal. Some DJs playing at the bases, BGD. Bring a friend has been nearly useless for several years now. Other then the pass itself (I just skied six days at Jackson with it...sorry to the Jackson locals for filling up their mountain.) Am I missing anything?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

When do they offer early and late ups? The ikon pass is definitely less perk friendly than the old Mammoth pass, esp BAF. Mammoth properties only seem worth it if you need a lift ticket. The pass perk is kind of worthless. I do like the 15% off food. While I rarely purchase food on hill, it was nice for my family to eat hot food a few days. I usually feed them PBJ, carrots, celery, apples, tangerines, bars and trail mix. As well as hot ccoa and cold beer.

The BAF thing really bugs me. I used to enjoy hooking my friends up, regardless of whether or not I was going to be there.

There were actually a number of occasions where I had friends do 3-day weekends, when they would have done 2, because they were able to get half price through me. Even though they were getting less money per ticket, they still got three days instead of two. Three days at 50% off is the same as two days at 25% off, and they get three days of overpriced food and beer purchases instead of two.

Hutash and others have holed me up with BAF over the years. When I could not score those, I’d look on CL. And then the resort would get nothing. Usually the CL are just employees selling off their comp passes.

Just want to say, the Outpost was not terribly overpriced. With the ikon discount it was less than $10 per person, and my 8yr old ate the most. I’d avoid the clam chowder as it was a bit fishy. Still tasty, but I’d lean tomato or tortilla. Salmon grilled cheese was awesome tho

The lodging thing has always bugged me. As a pass holder they kept sending me offers for free loft tickets with lodging...BFD. I supposed it would work if I resold the tickets. Besides, a lot of pass holders already have figures out the best places to stay, and they rarely involve Mammoth properties.

I miss the old BAF system. While it was not a direct benefit for the pass holder, it was fun to hook up friends (and mags) with a reasonably good deal. Now one can find much better deals at Costco and such. 15% off a 40% over priced meal is not a good deal either. It doesn't apply to beer, which is way over priced, but about the only thing I purchase on the mountain. 10% of full price in the shops is also a joke. I have no idea what the deals on rentals or lessons are, but I suspect they are just as useless. The retail prices on those are way over priced to begin with. Pro tip, if anybody wants lessons, go to June for them. They way cheaper, and less crowded, a group lesson is often a private.

iscariot

BFD salmon grilled cheese if blasphemy!
    off your knees Louie