Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Mammoth Creek Fire

Be Alert!

The very large Creek Fire is 15 miles from Mammoth, pointed right at Mammoth. A forecasted wind event may arrive Thursday and Friday. In the last weeks we've seen many wind-driven fires making 15, 20, 30 mile runs in a matter of hours. Creek Fire could run straight up the Fresno-Madera county line. Watch that wind forecast closely and consider dipping out.

I watched the town hall last night - local officials say they are prepared and not to panic. In other places, officials have been similarly prepared and caught flat-footed. If the fire continues its current spread, the hazard is low, they'll manage. However, if the wind fan hits your shit, they'll go into life-safety mode, starting door-to-door evacuations. Then they'll get overrun, forced to protect themselves. Too often, Mother Nature ignores official confidence.

I'm no expert, only a keen observer
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Bump for 2020-21!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

About a week away from the fun. So who is headed up for opening day?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1397
Size:  136.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

That looks tasty. Still inns sling so I’ll be waiting until next year.

See you all from 6ft away next weekend.

We will be there.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Any idea what lifts they plan to spin this first week?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Any idea what lifts they plan to spin this first week?
    Opening weekend operating plans are reportedly being released today. Chairs 1 and 3 are the most likely, but hopefully they can get more with the sustained snowmaking.

I know everyone is asking the same questions but Mammoth-specific poll: anyone decided to sit this season out? Starting to worry about the hordes from LA who have nothing else to do this winter... And don't want to deal with a reservation system imposed as soon as crowds hit. Anyone have insider info on Ikon sales #'s?

I’m betting ikon is down over last year based on deals still floating around.

We did not renew our KW passes as we usually stay at a friends place and it is affordable for us. No other in valley lodging is affordable, and didn’t want to drive from SLT every time we went. Not sure if that was the right call as we will really miss KW.

We have ikon passes, but I’m recovering from shoulder surgery. Can’t really ski until New Years anyway, so will wait and see. We have plans to ski a week in Feb and March/April at Mammoth if things are still open. Figure we will have a handle by then to see how it goes.

Might try for a few day trips to Alpine or Squaw or even a weekend but hate that drive mid winter. Too many BA folks all over the road.

If things hit the fan, will defer our passes to 21/22.

If not, we will get in some days, but a lot less than usual.

Looks like Friday is the opener. Ch 1, 2, 3, 6, and 11.

Solid opener. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiHick View Post
    I know everyone is asking the same questions but Mammoth-specific poll: anyone decided to sit this season out? Starting to worry about the hordes from LA who have nothing else to do this winter... And don't want to deal with a reservation system imposed as soon as crowds hit. Anyone have insider info on Ikon sales #'s?
    From what I have heard the town is being limited to 70% capacity. That is what the owner of our ski lease told us. I have seen that on other websites too. I don't see this year as necessarily being all that crowded. I think you might see some people who are working remotely move up to Mammoth for the winter when in other years they would not have, our ski lease owner told us that he was getting interest from people like that, but I don't see it being all that significant. That being said, with the way the lines are going to be with social distancing lift lines could be long despite the 70% cap. I don't know how many lifts are going to be open on typical weekends. On the bright side, powder might get tracked out more slowly.

We debated whether or not to do the ski lease this year. In the end we decided to go for it and just hope. I would rather have it and eat the cost if the season does not happen than not have it and have the season occur.

My guess is that Ikon is down, but I really have no idea. The limitation on Mammoth Lakes capacity is more likely to be the relevant factor in my opinion.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Looks like Friday is the opener. Ch 1, 2, 3, 6, and 11.
    That's pretty good. I may have to swing down that way weekend after next. Low tide skiing on 2 can be pretty damn fun.

One of you locals / regulars should start the new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    From what I have heard the town is being limited to 70% capacity. That is what the owner of our ski lease told us. I have seen that on other websites too. I don't see this year as necessarily being all that crowded. I think you might see some people who are working remotely move up to Mammoth for the winter when in other years they would not have, our ski lease owner told us that he was getting interest from people like that, but I don't see it being all that significant. That being said, with the way the lines are going to be with social distancing lift lines could be long despite the 70% cap. I don't know how many lifts are going to be open on typical weekends. On the bright side, powder might get tracked out more slowly.

We debated whether or not to do the ski lease this year. In the end we decided to go for it and just hope. I would rather have it and eat the cost if the season does not happen than not have it and have the season occur.

My guess is that Ikon is down, but I really have no idea. The limitation on Mammoth Lakes capacity is more likely to be the relevant factor in my opinion.
    Curious about the logistics of limiting a town to 70% capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Curious about that too. Hotels I guess I can see but are they telling owners they can't rent out their airbnbs?

I guess that means mountain will be targetting 70% capacity too... More than I expected TBH. With distancing measures, probably means lift lines will be just as long I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiHick View Post
    Sit the season out??? Are you kidding me?

Just about every October I start twitching pretty bad to ski. By early November I'm starting to lose it. Surfing has helped that significantly over the years, but there is nothing like arcing turns in the fresh mountain air. No F'n way am I sitting out the year!

Now, what this year will be, only Ullr and Corona know that at this point. If we get shut down I will go walking, but for now, I can't wait to get out there and ski!

Haven't heard on numbers. I think it's going to be hard to buy a lift ticket for a weekend. Will be real interesting to see how it all works this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I don't know how they plan to enforce it. I'll see if I can find a link.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

https://www.townofmammothlakes.ca.go...%20were%20made.

This has some info, but it does not seem to address methodology.

I'm the same way comish. Going to try and mostly ski midweek. I can make it work for the most part. Thinking about heading up early Wed AM next week driving back Friday afternoon. Rip groomers for a few days and see how things are shaking out with operations. Got skunked on that first storm next week but maybe the following one into Dec though! Pray.

Just a note re: Covid. Mammoth had the highest numbers in the state (percentage of population) last round, because it's a cul de sac town (virus gets trapped + wet cold = breeding). Right now, Mono County numbers are huge and rising. I think that despite the jones to get on the hill, which we all have, rethink the idea so you don't become a spreader, or worse.

Totally agree. I personally don't plan to be interacting or near any people at all, or inside any public areas etc. so I'm okay with it. I've been overcautious to say the least.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mammoth 2019-2020- Welcome back my friends

The current mono county numbers are almost entirely due to an outbreak at the marine base. As reported in newspapers.

Quote Originally Posted by jrf View Post
    The mono county numbers are almost entirely due to an outbreak at the marine base. As reported in newspapers.
    Just saw that. 250+ of the 400 or so active cases are at that Marine base. So putting that aside, Mono county isn't in the middle of some crazy surge... especially compared to most of the country.

I saw pictures of some lines today. Curious how bad they were in terms of actually moving? Anyone?

Totally forgot to check the web cams. Bet it looks pretty.