Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Good to hear you had fun OTT. Upper Dry/Climax has been the saving grace lately. Given how little snow has fallen in the last 2 months, it is still skiing shockingly well.

Team Comish will be at Alpine for Far West slalom this weekend.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Anyone on here have a room to rent Friday March 27th, maybe 26th? Looking for me and my 8 year old. Just wanted to check before booking a room. Most decently priced places are not refundable at this point.

Heading up on Friday. Can't wait. Been 2 years since I've been.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    Heading up on Friday. Can't wait. Been 2 years since I've been.

Keep your expectations low. Forecast is for big winds of 40-50 mph and and 1-3” of new snow. Dust on crust.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sending snow vibez your way boys. A Stump classic from Dr. Strange Glove:

I’ve been out for the last two days. All things considered, the skiing is really not bad at all. The Top is skiable in places, some places barely. Lower Mtn from Ch 2 over towards Canyon it’s definitely spring skiing by the afternoon. Here’s a pic of Dave’s from an hour ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9248497-1ECB-4808-A0E0-94E242D65425.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	493.8 KB 
ID:	318987
    No one on Dave’s at 1:00 pm. Mid week has been empty.

Thanks! We'll be heading over to Mammoth in a couple of weeks. I hope that this next system brings several inches of snow to the mountain.

Even with small amounts of snow the Mammoth wind buff groomer may be in effect.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

After skiing Tahoe for the first two days of the week, the forecast of warming temperatures was enough to motivate me head down to Mammoth and it's higher elevation. Skied Wed & Thurs in some of the least crowded conditions I've seen at Mammoth in some time. To put this into context, Wednesday had a skier count of 3300 skiers. That works out to less than one skier per acre. Thursday way up to 3500 skiers (gasp). Considering its barely snowed this winter, the skiing has been fun, and having no one around you is pretty sweet. Here's a few pics from Wed & Thurs.

Name:	IMG_1823.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1,018.6 KB 
ID:	319082
    Found some hero corduroy first thing Wednesday morning.

Name:	IMG_1831.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	319084
    Stump Alley at noon with 5 people in it.

Name:	IMG_1832.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	319085
    Not much has changed up Top in the last few weeks. Don't get suckered into the smooth looking pieces of snow to the right of
    ch 23. I did, it's not good.

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	319086
    Face of 5 with 3 skiers on it. Snows not bad, just have to pick your way thru in spots.

Name:	IMG_1839.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	319087
    Took a break Wednesday afternoon on the ML sundeck. Broadway with lots of room to ski fast.

Name:	IMG_1870 2.jpg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	319088
    Riding solo to the top for the 8th time yesterday. Of my 10 laps off the Top, I had someone in the gondola with me twice.

Name:	IMG_1836.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	319090
    Climax/Dry Creek line is still skiing well, but it has definitely firmer than what it was a couple weeks ago. Don't fall.

Name:	IMG_1843 3.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	319091
    Looking West off the top Gondola. Smoke from a prescribed fire on the Sierra National Forest is visible.

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	319093
    I skied up to and sat on that log last year and drank beer while watching the Canyon pond scimm on the Canyon Lodges closing weekend. A different story this year.

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	319096
    Downhill from ch 16 on my last run of the day yesterday just before 4:00 p.m. with one skier. Normally this run is a zoo at the end of the day.
    It has been a fun couple of days skiing. Weather has been great with spring down low and winter still up high. With the lack of crowds can haul ass all over the mtn without constantly looking over your shoulder. Business should definitely be picking up today as the weekend approaches. Mammoth mid week rarely disapoints.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Even with small amounts of snow the Mammoth wind buff groomer may be in effect.

Name:	08B3A45D-60A7-47E9-9D5F-CC81DCCF3A4F.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	599.0 KB 
ID:	319123
    Spot on! Dave’s skiing much better today with a more favorable wind direction. Come in lookers right side and work your way left finishing in between the rocks where the wind is blowing.

Cloud cover last night kept the temps 10 degrees warmer. Snow was much softer earlier down low this morning.

I had fun yesterday. And didn't wait for a line during the entire day. I planned to ski today but got called back to work.

I have an extra lift ticket that I'm trying to sell. Asking $40. Good for the rest of the season. It's a paper ticket. Just put it in your jacket and go straight to the lifts. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by Kailua_Boys; 03-07-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Woah. You just discounted that even further. If I did not have a pass this year, I’d buy that in a second. That is a great price.

Does anyone have experience with how the Costco e-vouchers work? Basic situation is we're heading to Mammoth with a couple of adult kids in tow, who don't have passes. We would easily use two of the three 2-day vouchers in the package, but would unlikely have the opportunity to use the 3rd. I'm wondering if it would be easy to sell the third evoucher to a mag or someone else that just wants one, or if they're somehow tied down in a way that makes the transfer difficult.

Mammoth 2019-2020- Welcome back my friends

Depends on asking price. I’ve paid between $30 (late spring) and $60 for one day passes before. If I didn’t have a pass this year, I’d be picking up the one above pretty quickly. I’ve bought off Craigslist before, but there is always the sketch part of that. Usually you send money, then they email the e-voucher.
    Last edited by Ottime; 03-07-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Woah. You just discounted that even further. If I did not have a pass this year, I’d buy that in a second. That is a great price.
    Just trying to see it put to use rather than it sitting in my desk going unused.

This is a paper ticket so I can mail it to someone if they want it.

I sold a Mammoth ticket on here before so someone can vouch that I'm not a scammer.

Quote Originally Posted by mday View Post
    Does anyone have experience with how the Costco e-vouchers work? Basic situation is we're heading to Mammoth with a couple of adult kids in tow, who don't have passes. We would easily use two of the three 2-day vouchers in the package, but would unlikely have the opportunity to use the 3rd. I'm wondering if it would be easy to sell the third evoucher to a mag or someone else that just wants one, or if they're somehow tied down in a way that makes the transfer difficult.
    They don't check. I've bought and sold e vouchers before before with no problems.

Mammoth sure screwed the pooch today.. Ormaybe it was SCE, but nearly the whole mountain was shut done due to power outages.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

That sucks. On the best snowfall in over a month. Tomorrow should be good.

As long as somebody figures which GFI circuit to reset.

iscariot

Yep, that was "interesting".

Mini Comish was stuck on ch1 for 2+ hours. Had to be lowered by rope. Pretty interesting to watch.

Spoke w/ one of top guys for the mtn. He was pretty open about it. It was an SCE line (he had a better word for it) somewhere between ch4 and Main. All the rest of the lifts generators worked, except ch1, hence the patrol rope evac.

Not sure this was their fault... Kinda sucked as that was a fun 2" of new overnight!

Yeah, sounds SCE problem, but ch1 failure is all on Mammoth. There is a reason to have b ack up power, and it should have worked.

Ch 1 needs to be taken out back and shot. Word is it is getting replaced this summer with a six pack.

iscariot

I was told last June that Ch1 has made more revolutions than any other chair in N America. That things has a lot of mileage.

...and it shows

Never been stuck on it like miniComish, but have had it stopped longer then I care to sit on a chair a few times. It has been on "mechanical hold"more timesthen I can remember.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yeah, sounds SCE problem, but ch1 failure is all on Mammoth. There is a reason to have b ack up power, and it should have worked.

Ch 1 needs to be taken out back and shot. Word is it is getting replaced this summer with a six pack.
    Totally agree. Apparently the generator didn't work...

It was confirmed to me that it's being replaced by a six pack by someone who definitely knows. YEAH!!! Can't tell you how many times I have been on that thing when it's stopped. Nearly always due to "Spacing Issues" caused by wind. At least Mammoth is windy

Recent Mammoth visitors -- is the scenic loop all melted out and camping-accessible? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.