Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

anyone found workouts to stay in shape with leg injuries?

I'm about 3 months into a PCL tear recovery. no surgery, just PT. I've gained a ton of weight and need to get back into shape. I'm just now finally not wearing a giant metal knee brace. Anyone had luck with finding workout routines to stay in shape with a knee injury? I'm going crazy not being able to be active, plus the gained weight is making me feel gross.

thanks

Dial in your diet. Getting fat while gimped is 100% preventable. This will pay off in spades for your life in general.

Do literally anything that doesn't involve your bad knee--planks, pushups, dips, pullups, L-hang/L-sit, V-ups, etc. There's a thousand-and-one things you can do. Are you doing PT entirely on your own or working with someone? If you're working with a therapist, see what they say about walking, stationary bike, elliptical machine, etc. at this stage.

Cold water. 5 minutes in 45* F water is the metabolic equivalent of 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise. You're already showering everyday, consider it a "free" workout.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Dial in your diet. Getting fat while gimped is 100% preventable. This will pay off in spades for your life in general.

Do literally anything that doesn't involve your bad knee--planks, pushups, dips, pullups, L-hang/L-sit, V-ups, etc. There's a thousand-and-one things you can do. Are you doing PT entirely on your own or working with someone? If you're working with a therapist, see what they say about walking, stationary bike, elliptical machine, etc. at this stage.

Cold water. 5 minutes in 45* F water is the metabolic equivalent of 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise. You're already showering everyday, consider it a "free" workout.

yeah i know my diet is the problem. When I'm skiing and/or biking everyday, I don't really have to worry about it because I burn enough calories to eat what I want. Being bored and not active is a double whammy. Eat more cuz i'm bored, burning less calories.

I'm working with a PT. a very hot PT. She basically said stationary bike, not ready for swimming yet.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    yeah i know my diet is the problem. When I'm skiing and/or biking everyday, I don't really have to worry about it because I burn enough calories to eat what I want.
    I don't know how old you are, but you can't out-train a shitty diet for very long. The sooner you fix that the better.

Being bored and not active is a double whammy. Eat more cuz i'm bored, burning less calories.
    If you pack your diet with foods that have low calorie density you can eat as much as you damn well please. Vegetables and fruit can be eaten completely ad libitum. Protein strongly promotes satiety and helps maintain muscle even in the absence of exercise, so get 0.5-1 g/lb BW/day. Minimize sugar and oils as much as possible. Stick to whole unprocessed foods that you prepare yourself.

Optional: Try fasting 1-2 days/week until you've unfattened yourself. Not entirely necessary if you're eating a whole food-based diet, but it will help maintain a calorie deficit and you may find that you really like it.

thanks

This is some seriously great advice!
    Most of my friends (and myself) who have had serious knee injuries have come back fitter, stronger, healthier due to being force to really look at diet and exercise programs.

You'd be amazed at how easy it is to train yourself to just not eat when you're bored, and to drastically cut down the amount of calories you consume. When i was out and couldn't exercise i would normally eat. If you are sedentary you really don't need to eat a lot.

Breakfast around 11. Oatmeal with berries and bananas and small handful of cashews and almonds.
    Lunch around 3. Apple + Orange, more berries and nuts.
    Dinner around 6. Soup or stirfry veggies. maybe some rice but rarely. More nuts berries and dark chocolate.

For a snack I would pop some popcorn and eat with sriracha/soy sauce or some kind of seasoning salt.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    This is some seriously great advice!
    Most of my friends (and myself) who have had serious knee injuries have come back fitter, stronger, healthier due to being force to really look at diet and exercise programs.

You'd be amazed at how easy it is to train yourself to just not eat when you're bored, and to drastically cut down the amount of calories you consume. When i was out and couldn't exercise i would normally eat. If you are sedentary you really don't need to eat a lot.

Breakfast around 11. Oatmeal with berries and bananas and small handful of cashews and almonds.
    Lunch around 3. Apple + Orange, more berries and nuts.
    Dinner around 6. Soup or stirfry veggies. maybe some rice but rarely. More nuts berries and dark chocolate.

For a snack I would pop some popcorn and eat with sriracha/soy sauce or some kind of seasoning salt.

thanks. Apples and oranges upset my stomach if I don't eat them with something else. but the rest would work. I'm working on it. Got a gym membership and did my first real workout since the injury yesterday. Did an upper body "Pull" workout, along with about 15 minutes on the spin bike with some resistance. Knee is responding well to spin bike, so I'll prob keep that up. Can do bodyweight squats but not ready to add additional weight yet. My PT program is strength focused now, past the mobility stage. Hoping if I hit the gym and yoga consistently and keep my cals down I'll be ready to ski in a couple months. I'd be happy if I could start skiing again by early Feb. Have a normie 9-5 job this year and live down in Denver, so I won't be getting the days in I did last year with my 4 day a week ski shop job and living up in the mountains anyway. I think if I can manage 20 days this year, I'll be doing good.

Hoping I can get some 14er skiing in late season and be ready for bike season. Might focus a little more on offroading this summer than biking and call it a recovery year.

thanks for the advice. diet adjustments are being made. feeling much better now that I can workout.

Ask your PT about BFR.

6mos out from ACL recon, shockingly good results for hypertrophy in the affected leg with BFR incorporated into my rehab.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Ask your PT about BFR.

6mos out from ACL recon, shockingly good results for hypertrophy in the affected leg with BFR incorporated into my rehab.
    Did you use a machine at home or at the pt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Ask your PT about BFR.

looks weird. I'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Did you use a machine at home or at the pt?
    Only at PT so far, 2x week for ~12 weeks, and only on a subset of exercises they had me doing (squats, calf raises, leg lifts). Definitely feels a little weird at first, and too much time with it on will make you sore like the hardest lift day ever. The strength takes a little longer to come back than the muscle mass, but it was really encouraging to see to leg muscles return to "normal" so quickly.

Probably going to spend the cash to get a home unit.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

if you have access to a pool, water running can be beneficial

yeah i know my diet is the problem. When I'm skiing and/or biking everyday, I don't really have to worry about it because I burn enough calories to eat what I want. Being bored and not active is a double whammy. Eat more cuz i'm bored, burning less calories.

I'm working with a PT. a very hot PT. She basically said stationary bike, not ready for swimming yet.
    For some, tracking calories is helpful to reduce intake. Even once you get back to activity you wonít likely be able to train away your extra lbs.

If you get a bike, look for some version of an Airdyne / fan bike over a stationary bike. With the arm component you donít even have to use the bad leg (although it sounds like you can). Airdyne works your core in addition to the legs and allows you to do very effective interval training. I saw people train in a leg cast w pins on an airdyne as you can just rest the injured leg on the peg. There is also a known phenomenon that training the uninjured leg / arm will result in significantly less atrophy of the injured leg / arm.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    For some, tracking calories is helpful to reduce intake. Even once you get back to activity you won’t likely be able to train away your extra lbs.

If you get a bike, look for some version of an Airdyne / fan bike over a stationary bike. With the arm component you don’t even have to use the bad leg (although it sounds like you can). Airdyne works your core in addition to the legs and allows you to do very effective interval training. I saw people train in a leg cast w pins on an airdyne as you can just rest the injured leg on the peg. There is also a known phenomenon that training the uninjured leg / arm will result in significantly less atrophy of the injured leg / arm.

I can use the injured leg on the bike fine. I can do bodyweight single leg squats on that leg, as well. Haven't done anything weighted on that leg yet. I'm not going to buy a stationary bike. I'll just use whatever is at the gym.

electro muscle stimulation for strength, out of the kitchen for weight.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

went to my ortho at Steadman in Vail today and he cleared me to ski groomers and do road biking. I'm probably going to spend December focusing on strength training and wait until Jan to ski but I'm stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    into the kitchen for weight.
    FIFY. Preparing your own meals is one of the top ways to get and stay unfat. Lots of data out there showing that home-cooked meals are, on average, way lower in calories and added sugar/fat than restaurant meals and other prepared foods.

went to my ortho at Steadman in Vail today and he cleared me to ski groomers and do road biking. I'm probably going to spend December focusing on strength training and wait until Jan to ski but I'm stoked.
    Awesome. Sounds like you have the physical side of things covered pretty well. On the mental side, as someone who has recovered from a number of injuries in the past and is currently doing so (serious concussion in late October), one good way I've found to combat the depression that so easily sets in is to do things for other people in your life. I've been having friends over for tasty dinners, shuttled friends for DH laps, doing a lot cleaning and housework that my wife would normally do, etc. It helps, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    FIFY. Preparing your own meals is one of the top ways to get and stay unfat. Lots of data out there showing that home-cooked meals are, on average, way lower in calories and added sugar/fat than restaurant meals and other prepared foods.

Awesome. Sounds like you have the physical side of things covered pretty well. On the mental side, as someone who has recovered from a number of injuries in the past and is currently doing so (serious concussion in late October), one good way I've found to combat the depression that so easily sets in is to do things for other people in your life. I've been having friends over for tasty dinners, shuttled friends for DH laps, doing a lot cleaning and housework that my wife would normally do, etc. It helps, really.

thanks. I've been getting through it by making art, reading, and volunteering at an arts center for homeless people. I was pretty down at first but have managed to stave off the depression mostly. good luck healing up, and good advice. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    if you have access to a pool, water running can be beneficial
    Why not swimming? About the best exercise there is for overall conditioning. (And if you really want to lose weight find some nice cold open water to swim in.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    And if you really want to lose weight find some nice cold open water to swim in.)
    Why does that make a difference?

Why not swimming? About the best exercise there is for overall conditioning. (And if you really want to lose weight find some nice cold open water to swim in.)

my pt so far has told me no swimming. I did it anyway at the gym the other day and it was fine. sticking to spin bike and my various knee strengthening exercises for now.

Why not swimming?
    Well, just prioritizing leg movement for strength and cardio without weight bearing
    Proper swimming is upper body heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Why does that make a difference?
    see post 2 although I was kidding about the cold water
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Well, just prioritizing leg movement for strength and cardio without weight bearing
    Proper swimming is upper body heavy
    Still excellent for cardio and calorie burn/weight loss. With a bad knee he'll get a lot more of both with swimming than with leg focused workouts, once PT clears him. I wonder why PT won't allow--if necessary could float the legs instead of kicking. (I go faster if I don't kick, if I try to kick only using a kickboard I go backwards. Well, maybe I exaggerate but my kick sucks.)

see post 2 although I was kidding about the cold water

Still excellent for cardio and calorie burn/weight loss. With a bad knee he'll get a lot more of both with swimming than with leg focused workouts, once PT clears him. I wonder why PT won't allow--if necessary could float the legs instead of kicking. (I go faster if I don't kick, if I try to kick only using a kickboard I go backwards. Well, maybe I exaggerate but my kick sucks.)

it was something about closed circuit vs open circuit exercises. Things where my feet are planted are ok, things where my legs can move freely during the exercise aren't good. so, spin bike good, running and swimming bad. Not the case anymore though.