Replacement for S7?

Looking for some advice - what current ski is roughly equivalent to the original Rossi S7?

I picked up a pair for my wife years ago and she loves the friggin’ things. Until last year, they were her only skis and she used them in all conditions – last season, I finally convinced her to get something narrower for firm conditions.

But the S7’s are now pretty beat so I’m looking to replace them. What current ski has the same ease of use in powder that is still forgiving/manageable on hardpack?

My wife is a solid skier, 40-50 days/year, all at Fernie. But she’s definitely not a charger. Also, we’re headed to Japan this season, so this would be the ski we’re taking there.

My current thought is the DPS Wailer/Yvette 112 – likely in the Foundation build. Is there anything else that should be on the radar?

I'm pretty sure all the dentists on TGR hate the S7 and the wailer

especialy if they have never skied them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    especialy if they have never skied them
    Rustler 10 or 11

The newer s7 is damper & stiffer that old, but still has a stigma around here for hero skiers. Great ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
    . . . forgiving/manageable on hardpack . . .
    That's a charitable way of saying it has zero edgehold and is a liability getting back to the lift after your powder turns. Rossignol recognized this shortfall and the newer S series skis are better. Yvette F112 is a good choice. Maybe Sheeva 11, Santa Ana 110, or Moment Bella?

My friends wife demoed the 2020 S7 at the end of last season. She liked it so much she bought a pair..

One of my setups is the DPS Wailer 112A (guess that makes me a dentist...wish I got paid like one). I like it a lot for tighter runs on fresh snow....

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
    ...I picked up a pair for my wife years ago...
    What length does she have. I think the shorter lengths of old S7's were completely different shape than the longer lengths.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    My friends wife demoed the 2020 S7 at the end of last season.
    The S7 for women (110mm waist) doesn't exist anymore. The widest they offer for women is the Soul 7 HD, roughly 6mm narrower depending on length.

Sorry...that is what I meant soul7 HD.......made the assumption OP S7 was a soul 7...

Legend 106 W would work too.

Armada ARW VJJ?

Moment Sierra. 98 under foot so its good in powder and the triple camber makes it a great ski on groomers.

The couple of years old Star 7 (women's topsheet Super 7) is still around, still at massive discounts.

https://www.corbetts.com/2016-rossig...-120-bindings/

With binding, $260ish US, 178cm only.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The couple of years old Star 7 (women's topsheet Super 7) is still around, still at massive discounts.

https://www.corbetts.com/2016-rossig...-120-bindings/

With binding, $260ish US, 178cm only.
    That's really a 180, minimized by the marketing department to avoid threatening male dentists.

My sig other switched from Rossi S7's to Armada JJ 1.0's of comparable length. She prefers the JJ's on the groomers and in right side up pow. The S7's floated a bit better in bottomless.

Though both skis were too short for me, I took em for a few laps. S7's had a much lower speed limit in general, especially noticed while carving gs/super g turns on both soft and firm but smooth corduroy. The fronts of the skis became quite twitchy where the jj's seemed to track fairly well.

JJ's were more balanced, consistent and predictable in soft chop and shallow right side up pow.

The old jj's are now off the market but I can imagine the new Armada ARV 116 JJ's would have a similar basic ski feel?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    That's really a 180, minimized by the marketing department to avoid threatening male dentists.
    Yep.

Mini-review of the Star 7:

I have the 188 Star 7s from the $90ish deal here several years back; mounted them at -2 with alpine bindings. For my size, flex is on the softer side of medium, adequate in shallow pow, not stiff enough for good edge hold on hardpack (tried it as a travel ski; firm groomers = lots of skidding). Keeping it around for now as a rock ski for softer conditions where I don't want to bring a bigger pow ski.

Comparing the Star 7 to other older Rossi skis of similar design that I've had: the original Squad 7 was stiffer but skied very short -- to the point of uselessness in any deeper snow (mounted mine -1, still needed more tip). The original Super 7 had that weird "hinging" folding feel in front of the toepiece in any deeper snow; the Star 7 and Squad did not. The Star 7 has the honeycomb stuff in the tip, which makes it feel much lighter on your feet than the Squad or old Super.

Mrs. C. has the 178s (aka 180s), and likes them a lot. Someone here pointed out the $260 Corbetts deal a little while ago, and I forwarded it to a friend of ours who bought them -- she hasn't skied any modern rockered pow skis, so this isn't a bad choice to try them out for cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by thommy21 View Post
    Armada ARW VJJ?
    Best name ever for a chick ski