Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

Thanks for the conditions info, looks good.

for those that didn't get it, Baldy sent out all the new rules to the email list, see below:

Mountain Report 4/21/2020:
    The forecast calls for clear skies with warm temps through the forecast period. A moderate wind advisory is in place thru Thursday morning with varying north winds in the 10 to 25 mph range. With coverage on the mountain about as good as it gets for April and golf courses reopening around Southern California we have decided to follow suit and open for ‘Ski & Ride Times’ beginning tomorrow morning.

Rentals & Tubing are closed for the rest of the 2019/20 season. Expect smooth soft spring corn conditions Wednesday. There will be no grooming tonight, expect off piste untracked cream corn conditions. EXPERIENCED ADVANCED & ABOVE SKIERS AND RIDERS ONLY. Now is not the time to come learn to ski or ride.

It’s on.
    See you on the mountain! #thisisbaldy

Lift Tickets Available Now!
    https://fareharbor.com/embeds/book/m...yes&ref=mChimp

COVID-19 SOCIAL DISTANCING
    OPERATIONS PLAN

We are taking the COVID-19 crisis very seriously. Mt Baldy Resort is a unique all season mountain resort and is well designed to accommodate social distancing guidelines. In addition, we are implementing several policy changes that will help to ensure the safety and health of our guests and staff. Similar to how a golf course operates Mt Baldy will check-in a maximum of 4 individuals at 10 minute intervals. 1 Day Alpine Ticketed guests will have access to Lift #2 and #3 from that time until closing. In stark contrast to a golf course (150 acres), Mt Baldy Resort (800 acres) has more than 4x the area and will be operating at less than 10% of occupancy under this plan. Mask or face covering consistent with Order of the Health Officer of the County of San Bernardino County for the Control of COVID-19 must be worn at all times.

TICKETING & GUEST SERVICES
    Only guests with reservations for 1 Day Alpine Lift Ticket and Mt Baldy Season Pass Holders will be granted access within the resort boundaries. Guest Services is NOT available at the resort. Do not come to the resort with promotional tickets, vouchers, expired purchases, applications, partner resort passes or any other inquiries. All these matters must be addressed online or by telephone. Please be patient with our very limited guest services team while we facilitate your requests.

UPON ARRIVAL
    All visitors to Mt Baldy Resort will be at greeted at their vehicle upon arrival to parking lot. 1 Day Alpine Lift Ticket reservations will be checked in no earlier than their reservation time. Early visitors please queue up in your vehicles and sit tight until your reservation time. With proper identification Season Pass Holders, Scheduled Staff or Certified Government Agency Personnel will be permitted on to the property. All others will be turned away.

PARKING
    To eliminate congregating all vehicles must be parked at a minimum of 3 vehicle width apart. Any vehicle not parked at least 20′ away from any other vehicle is subject to tow. Mt Baldy Resort staff will be on hand to identify vehicles not in compliance to direct tow trucks accordingly.

RESTROOMS
    \To avoid unnecessary contact we ask that you take care of your restroom breaks before you get to the mountain. Restrooms will be available for use at the base of Chair #1 and in the Top of the Notch Restaurant. Bathrooms are maintained and sanitized according to a vigorous schedule.

RIDING THE LIFT
    All lifts at Mt Baldy Resort are fixed grip double seat carriers. We suggest that you ride by yourself unless you decide to ride with someone you are in quarantine with. Mt Baldy Resort is not the ‘Quarantine Police’ and does not intend to be. We ask that you treat this matter with the respect that it deserves and only ride with individuals you are quarantined with. Individuals will be loaded with skis or snowboard and one small carry along bag only.

FOOD & BEVERAGE
    Pack a lunch. The Counterweight Cafe & Top of the Notch Restaurant will be closed until further notice. Sporadically refreshments may be available at the bottom of Lift #3 (Thunder Mountain) as we continue to improve operations under these scrutinous circumstances.

SKIING & RIDING
    Experienced advanced and above skiers and snowboarders only. Rentals will not be available. Guests must bring their own gear. Ski & ride with caution and do not take unnecessary risks. Injuring yourself puts you and everyone involved in helping you at risk. At all times and especially when standing in line maintain a healthy distance of at least 10 feet.

Our ability to operate under these circumstances rely heavily on cooperation from everyone. If you are not feeling 100% or have any intention of not treating this situation with the respect that it deserves, stay home. Mt Baldy Resort would not be going through the difficult process of opening during these difficult times if we did not love operating this special mountain and YOU our stakeholders. Unfortunately with the limited amount of access our modified operating plan permits, we have limitations to what we can accommodate: Partner resort passes, promotional tickets sold at pre-season snow shows or any other pre-purchased online tickets will be addressed on a case by case basis prior to arrival. Thanks for the support,
    The Crew @ Mt Baldy

I'm in Goldridge Trees at the beginning of this clip, but you'll never see me. Don't know why they flew by 10 minutes after last chair, when virtually everyone was already gone.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_TX2DBFmSZ/

Another post:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_TamjSjl4g/
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 04-23-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Who would of thunk it...It's late April and only the Commie-fornia mags are still skiing and boarding!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Props to Baldy for taking a thoughtful and constructive approach instead of just the easy way out.

I wish others would also take this time to experiment operationally, because this type of modified model may be the only one feasible for next season if there is a second wave.

Skiing (except the apres part) is perfectly suited for self distancing, so I hope they are able to maintain discipline and have no blowups...

Baldy has a few big advantages. First is the single access point at the front gate and a single lift to reach the "base" area. Few ski areas have such tight customer control. Second is being such a small area, they can make money with only 150 skiers on the hill. Lastly it's hard for the authorities to verify that the customers are complying, unless they send up an undercover cop that skis. Which could explain the circling police helicopter yesterday.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 04-24-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Hopefully they make some money, pretty cool they are going the extra mile.

If we have a season pass can show up whenever, right? Anyone know if they plan to groom? Was skiing still good around 5pm 1000-oaks or did it get soupy? Hoping I can make it up there next Th afternoon...might be wishful thinking with this heat.

^ Suspect they're now grooming the main trails each morning, there's plenty of snow for it. Snow in the trees isn't consolidated and anything in direct sun is getting pretty slushy (this heat wave sucks) so wax accordingly (or Zardoz). If I were going back this weekend I'd take something around 110 waist.

Believe passholders can just show up, everyone else has to buy a ticket ahead of time. Read their online covid plan to see what you need to do regarding parking, etc.

Baden-Powell was good today, much better than I expected given the heat. Gate just past Mt high closed, so had to bike in. Got to the top around 9 am.

^ Nice, that's getting after it. What time did you leave the Big Pines gate?

Just did an afternoon road hike up to Blue Ridge, BP is looking gorgeous. There was a big wet slide about a mile past BP a week ago.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 04-26-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Baden-Powell was good today, much better than I expected given the heat. Gate just past Mt high closed, so had to bike in. Got to the top around 9 am.
    How far do you have to bike in to get to the usual trailhead?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    zero miles. oyu usually drive to Vincent Gap. Or sometimes the road is closed at Grassy Hollow after a recent storm if they haven't cleared it immediately, which is about 3 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    From the closed gate a couple hundred yards up from the Big Pines intersection. Signs say no pedestrians or bikes, but it doesn't appear to be enforced.

Re: police helicopter...I work with a bunch of those guys. They're really bored right now, the PDs want an airborne presence as always just in case so they're flying, waiting on a call, majority of calls they're getting are domestics. You can see why everybody gets excited for a high speed chase these days.

So, yeah they're cruising around, probably repositioning between my airport and points north or vice versa. What was the color of the helo?

Too many warm nights in a row, we really need a hard freeze.
    https://rmru.org/2020/04/26/2020-020/

Thankfully hikers and not skiers...overnight low of 50 at elevation technical terrain a bad idea.

Cool footage in the report.

Snow Creek is a very hard climb. The conditions have to be right to even consider climbing it. Not very wise decision.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A few photos from Saturday, skiing photos buddy took of me.

The nice part about a sunrise start:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200425_061606.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	326738

Love the view from this ridge:
    Name:  IMG_0954.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  146.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0996.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  239.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0981.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  130.3 KB

Just realized a couple days ago that my Baldy pass doesn't work in May and I missed the email for 2021 renew...had been hoping to take advantage of the cooler temps this weekend. Talked the wife into watching the kid while wfh tomorrow so thinking of going up. Forecast claims overcast tonight and crazy warm tomorrow, so it might be horrible. Anyone go up to ride the lift today or yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Just realized a couple days ago that my Baldy pass doesn't work in May and I missed the email for 2021 renew...had been hoping to take advantage of the cooler temps this weekend. Talked the wife into watching the kid while wfh tomorrow so thinking of going up. Forecast claims overcast tonight and crazy warm tomorrow, so it might be horrible. Anyone go up to ride the lift today or yesterday?
    I realized this today too. I had meant to renew earlier, at the 299 price, but I forgot.

I don't know if I'm going to ski again this year, I'm just bummed on not getting next year for 299, I will have to pay 499.

That being said, I paid 200 for my pass last January, and that covered last year and this year. I guess if I pay 499 then I will have paid 699 for three seasons, which is not bad. There is always the possibility the mountain won't open next year, with Baldy you always wonder about snow conditions, but I overall it is not that big of a deal. What this means is that I won't be renewing until some time in the summer, I'm not going to rush given that the deal is not great right now.

On their site it said that ticket purchases would be credited towards next year's pass purchase.

And very nice shots 406! The third one down makes me really want to ski!
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

https://youtu.be/3b5Yq1LSiJg

Very nice!

Name:	IMG_4009.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	327041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4010.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	327042
    Today is pretty fun the cups are starting. Probably be camping till Sunday!!! Hope to see one of you out here.

Ended up riding the lift at Baldy today, fun time.

SoCal Kick-Off

Name:	IMG_2435.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	327196
    Biked to Throop Peak today. You can see our lines in the gully to the right

Last edited by abcdethan; 05-03-2020 at 02:16 PM.

I think I walked by your bikes they where locked right.