Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

SoCal Kick-Off

With 3 - 4' expected locally...any thoughts on Waterman/Baldy maybe Friday, or this weekend?
    Can't get the in-laws committed to making the Mammy drive tomorrow, and starting to get the shakes.

BB
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Baldy doesn't open until Sat FYI.

Gonna be pretty low tide up there... Think I'll be heading to Mammy and sticking to the runs with an artificial base til at least after this next cycle probably. Stoked for some good Dec skiing.

Hopefully the rain early next week is absorbed by this new snowfall and freezes, and isn't enough to melt it. A foot of concrete over the rocks would be a nice base layer.

Bookmark this site for snowpack updates: http://www.socalsnow.org/
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-28-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Good luck guys. I hope it’s a good year for you.

Excited to earn some turns in the San Gabs soon!

Radar sure is looking good. Seemed like there was some ig posts showing snow in baldy area prior to this storm? Did that mostly melt last week?

^ Baldy received 6-8" and held most of it, particularly on N aspects.

Curious to see if anyone hit Snow Summit yesterday or Bear/Summit today.

I will see how things shake out. I will probably hit bear/summit tomorrow and possibly Baldy on Sunday. I just want to hit some groomers, I don't want to venture off-piste just yet.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I drove to Palm Springs and back Thurs/Fri and the mountains are totally covered (and gorgeous). It snowed on the 10 for about 30 minutes of the drive to PS on Thursday, past Riverside. Never seen that before.

BB, I'll head up to MM with you!

Another 10 to 16 in forecast for Baldy on Tuesday and Wednesday. I’m out of town this weekend but I’m thinking of checking out some <30 slopes near Waterman on Wednesday. While checking avy conditions first.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Curious to see if anyone hit Snow Summit yesterday or Bear/Summit today.

I will see how things shake out. I will probably hit bear/summit tomorrow and possibly Baldy on Sunday. I just want to hit some groomers, I don't want to venture off-piste just yet.
    Baldy is closed.
    No electricity.
    Saw one of the owners get interviewed and he wasn't sure when they would be opening.

So the power outage continued all day, lift 1 ran on generator power so scenic riders and tubers were unaffected for the most part. The Notch was able to still serve food thanks to gas grills. Skiing was not open, but prep for chair 2 and Thunder Mtn has begun.

Coverage is pretty damn good for 12/1, but would only use rock skis to drop to the parking lot. Rain on the snow last night created uber-heavy sno-cone snow that's ideal for snow balls and the fattest, most-rockered ski you have. The rain coming later this week will do bad things, it's just a question of how bad it will be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PANO_20191201_124047.vr.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	797.6 KB 
ID:	304458

Name:	PANO_20191201_110504.vr.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	645.6 KB 
ID:	304457

Name:	PANO_20191201_110428.vr.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	887.4 KB 
ID:	304456

Name:	IMG_20191201_114323.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	304455
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-01-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks for these great pics. Looks better than I thought it was going to look!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Checked out Summit today weather was great and had a fun time ripping groomers. Coverage was great. Tons of cars but not too many people.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Radar shows raining up to ~10k ft. :-(

Headed up there friday. Hoping the snow comes down today and not rain.

NWS indicates it is indeed snow.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...28135054740163

Looks like we should expect 8.1 in of snow in the next 5ish hours.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 9.19.16 AM.png
Views: 4872
Size:  105.4 KB

Link to chart:
    https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...Type=graphical

I hope you all have a great early season!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post

Name:	IMG_20191201_114323.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	304455
    though it's been over 20 years since i last rode that chair^^, it's still one of my favorites. are there still bands and food served on nice days at the top of the chair?

If anyone hits Baldy tomorrow let us know how it is! Eyeballing driving up Fri or Sat

Still 33 degrees at top of Mt High, temp probably won't drop until this slug of warm precip moves out.

seems like this precip is falling as snow up high. might go poke around and check it out tomorrow before work.

strong southeast wind on the back side of the 11/28 storm scoured everything southeast thru west pretty hard in the baldy bowl during this last storm, but there were a few feet of rideable wind-affected pow on the east-facing shoulder of the bowl last sat. good fun for a season opener!

https://vimeo.com/377410004

^^^nice and skiing from/to Manker.

San G has gotta be getting hammered.

Update from last night:

"December 4, 2019 – 7PM
    Tomorrow, is Thunder Mountain’s opening day, and… we’re not quite sure what to expect regarding conditions. 90% of the terrain on Chair #3 is unprocessed. That means, that it has not been groomed nor has it been ridden or skied this season. It’s no secret that over the last 1 to 2 weeks we have received substantial snowfall. However, this last front has brought precipitation with varying snow levels. Rain, then snow, then sleet, now snow. Given the Off Piste nature of Mt Baldy’s terrain it’s safe to say this Thursday & Friday should be reserved for experienced, advanced and expert skiers & riders. There will be no lessons or rentals available. If you require these services or are not an advanced or expert skier or rider, please contact customer support to reschedule your visit.

For those of you who are coming tomorrow to help process the snow: be ready for firm conditions, be hopeful for a nice soft layer of cream and be prepared for something in-between. Overnight lows are forecast to be right at freezing, conditions could go either way.

See you on the mountain."

baldy conditions this morning: rain took out most of the snowpack below 7k, but enough snow fell and stuck around that coverage is looking better than last weekend up high. 1 inch of rain crust over 6" to 1' of new, unconsolidated, in the bowl. r1 d1 pocket ran during the storm on the lookers left side of the bowl. skied supportable crust from 9k' to 7k' or so. was hoping for dust-on-crust, oh well, can't win them all.

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	304944
    Last edited by bbrianburke; 12-05-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    baldy conditions this morning: rain took out most of the snowpack below 7k, but enough snow fell and stuck around that coverage is looking better than last weekend up high. 1 inch of rain crust over 6" to 1' of new, unconsolidated, in the bowl. r1 d1 pocket ran during the storm on the lookers left side of the bowl. skied supportable crust from 9k' to 7k' or so. was hoping for dust-on-crust, oh well, can't win them all.
    Thanks for the review!

I might be hitting it tomorrow, if I can get enough done today, or possibly Saturday. We will see.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."