Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

Thanks for the help.

I'll go ahead and buy some chains.

Just got an email saying they are closed Thursday about an hour after purchasing a ticket... On their Instagram post they only said closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully that's incorrect

Oh, a Baldy virgin, fresh snow days can be a total shit show.

They actually said closed Thursday, not just sold out of tickets?

Yup email says closed Thursday now

I'm hoping this storm is indeed substantial.

I got in about 10 laps yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.

I started with a couple of groomer laps. The groomers are getting thin, but still doable.

I then alternated between the Emile's area where you enter under the lift, then cutting to skier's left, and the Emile's area where you enter more skier's left, I think that's Emile's trees. I did a couple of laps in Robin's Trees (that's where you start under the lift and cut skier's right?) and it was interesting, fun in spots.

The new snow from last week didn't really consolidate. It was still fun though. Things softened up so everything was slushy.

The skier's left entrance into Emile's was probably the best.

Here is a video, coming if from that area:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zrp8r

I didn't really do much to edit the video, but it will give you a chance to see how the conditions are.

It was a fun day, but obviously there is lots of stuff showing. Standard Baldy disclaimers apply.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 03-08-2021 at 09:31 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Hopefully they meant the tubing. Storms typically do half snow amount NOAA predicted and roll out half day early. But the chairs at Baldy seem to ice up way to easily and it takes them awhile to get open. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Hopefully they meant the tubing. Storms typically do half snow amount NOAA predicted and roll out half day early. But the chairs at Baldy seem to ice up way to easily and it takes them awhile to get open. Who knows.
    Generally agree on the snow predictions, although I do think they've been increasingly accurate the past couple years. I track this stuff like a weirdo and it's been a real pleasant surprise tbh. My theory is that the storms in the 2019-2021 period have been generally quite cold, with a snow-line generally at or below the base of Chair 1, making it easier to predict total snowfall. That's a lot harder to do when the snow level is at the Notch.

As for Thursday, I think it's a miscommunication - tubing's off but snowboarding and skiing should be good to go. And current NWS forecast outta both Oxnard and San Diego, while probably too generous in my view, is 18-24", which on Thunder's skeleton of a base would still make for a fucking great day.

Was planning for Mammoth mid-week, and I still might on Wednesday, but hard to say no to another stellar Baldy pow day in this very strange year!

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Dallas View Post

As for Thursday, I think it's a miscommunication - tubing's off but snowboarding and skiing should be good to go. And current NWS forecast outta both Oxnard and San Diego, while probably too generous in my view, is 18-24", which on Thunder's skeleton of a base would still make for a fucking great day.

!
    On their instagram it says they will be open for skiing/boarding on Thursday but closed for tubing.

I'm planning on going up to Mammoth this weekend, skiing Friday-Sun and possibly Monday if I get enough work done.

I hope this storm does light Baldy up. If it DOES come in with that much snow (18-24) that should at least get Baldy into early, possibly mid-April.

This has been a strange year for sure. I've only gotten about 10 days at Mammoth, which is very few for me for this time of year. But I've gotten about 5 at Snow Summit, early part of the season, and 8 at Baldy, so my numbers aren't way off from a normal year. We've got some long Mammoth trips, as well as a couple of weekends coming up, so I should hit 40 for the year. If Baldy is able to extend into mid-April then that is more of a certainty.

I've had lots of fun at Baldy this year. It's great to be able to make good turns an hour and 15 minutes from Newport Beach.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    On their instagram it says they will be open for skiing/boarding on Thursday but closed for tubing.

I'm planning on going up to Mammoth this weekend, skiing Friday-Sun and possibly Monday if I get enough work done.

I hope this storm does light Baldy up. If it DOES come in with that much snow (18-24) that should at least get Baldy into early, possibly mid-April.

This has been a strange year for sure. I've only gotten about 10 days at Mammoth, which is very few for me for this time of year. But I've gotten about 5 at Snow Summit, early part of the season, and 8 at Baldy, so my numbers aren't way off from a normal year. We've got some long Mammoth trips, as well as a couple of weekends coming up, so I should hit 40 for the year. If Baldy is able to extend into mid-April then that is more of a certainty.

I've had lots of fun at Baldy this year. It's great to be able to make good turns an hour and 15 minutes from Newport Beach.
    I hear ya, man! Baldy's got warts, so many of 'em, but there's something super special about living here, at this latitude, and being able to drive an hour'ish for some old growth tree runs, seaside view groomers, and the occasional clusterfuck pow day. It's super far from perfect but if you know what Baldy does, and doesn't do, good days there tend to fall into place. And man, those sharky powder/slush turns through Robin's Trees and Goldridge, between last Spring and the few storms this year, really took a much-needed bite outta my COVID-19 isolation blues.

Also I'm a new dad and the main daytime caregiver so multi-day trips to Mams are temporarily outta the picture haha. Given that, Baldy coverage (+ baby) has been an absolute godsend.

Edit to add:

The above chatter's unfortunately correct - looks like Baldy's staying closed Thursday for a Friday opening, per today's website update. Their explanation is that Thursday's looking stormier than originally anticipated, but I'm only seeing 2-4" between NWS and OpenSnow. ECMWF's got some healthy northerly wraparound for that Thursday afternoon, though, and while those types of setups can definitely overproduce if the ingredients are right...still kinda weird that they're cancelling Thurs.

Oh well, c'est la Baldy. I'll be there Friday.
    Last edited by Crouching Dallas; 03-09-2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Thursday Closure

bummer, I have to work Friday, but had Th off. Hopefully I can get some spring turns in next midweek if the wind isn't to bad.

x2 on Baldy's "character" and I do love it up there. I always tell myself, if they ran the place professionally with modern infrastructure it would be so busy and popular...so in a way, kind of nice how it is.

Fingers crossed storm continues into most of Thursday!

Changed my ticket to Friday. Euro model showing 1.5" of liquid precip.. That's a hefty amount of snow at 15:1 ratio. Fingers crossed..

Baldy is more a 7:1, 10:1 tops kinda place.

just find some chains/cables to carry, they donxt need to fit. I have only been check once, and I actually had to some the CHP I had them, be he didn't check size. Coming from CO driving a 4x4 with snow tires, I hope you aren't a soCal beater and can actually drive on white roads.

Just an FYI for California winter driving. R1-snow tires or chains required, R2- chains requires on 2WD, (4WD with snow tires are okay), R3- chains required on all drive wheels (very rare, CHP usually closes the road before R3.) Chains are required to be carried during all R conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Dallas View Post
    I hear ya, man! Baldy's got warts, so many of 'em, but there's something super special about living here, at this latitude, and being able to drive an hour'ish for some old growth tree runs, seaside view groomers, and the occasional clusterfuck pow day. It's super far from perfect but if you know what Baldy does, and doesn't do, good days there tend to fall into place. And man, those sharky powder/slush turns through Robin's Trees and Goldridge, between last Spring and the few storms this year, really took a much-needed bite outta my COVID-19 isolation blues.

Also I'm a new dad and the main daytime caregiver so multi-day trips to Mams are temporarily outta the picture haha. Given that, Baldy coverage (+ baby) has been an absolute godsend.

Edit to add:

The above chatter's unfortunately correct - looks like Baldy's staying closed Thursday for a Friday opening, per today's website update. Their explanation is that Thursday's looking stormier than originally anticipated, but I'm only seeing 2-4" between NWS and OpenSnow. ECMWF's got some healthy northerly wraparound for that Thursday afternoon, though, and while those types of setups can definitely overproduce if the ingredients are right...still kinda weird that they're cancelling Thurs.

Oh well, c'est la Baldy. I'll be there Friday.
    Congratulations! Hope you are getting enough sleep!

Sorry to hear about the Thursday closure. Let's hope this storm delivers.

I hope you guys enjoy it this weekend. Have fun but, as always, be careful. If this does deliver there will be lots of sharks hiding.

I should be back up next weekend, possible next Friday afternoon. Let's hope Mammoth gets some too!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Baldy is more a 7:1, 10:1 tops kinda place.
    Even when snow levels are going to be this low?

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    just find some chains/cables to carry, they donxt need to fit. I have only been check once, and I actually had to some the CHP I had them, be he didn't check size. Coming from CO driving a 4x4 with snow tires, I hope you aren't a soCal beater and can actually drive on white roads.
    Word. I bought some off Amazon just to be safe. I'll do anything for one more pow day this year.

Thinking about doing a Saturday reservation at Baldy - does it get busy there or pretty chill on the weekends?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Thinking about doing a Saturday reservation at Baldy - does it get busy there or pretty chill on the weekends?
    It can be pretty busy if there is new snow.

Lots of snowplay people come up too, so the road can be difficult.

Blue skies this weekend, the snowplayers will be bad unless CHP sets up a skiers/locals only roadblock. Get there early to beat the sledders.

Update: 10" of blower in village.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-11-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Still kind of tempted for Saturday, though it looks like tickets are up to $90 now.

Anyways, got a half day in today at Snow Summit before I needed to head back to do some work. Super fun, great conditions.

Holy shit what a day.. South chutes were insane!

This morning did not suck, that's for sure.

glad you guys got the goods
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Thunder fucking delivered today, stoked y'all got it too.

Cold powder for most of the morning, eventually cream cheese for lunch. Along with an almond croissant from Baldy Juice Co'! Couldn't have imagined a cute lil' coffee shop in Baldy 10, even 5 years ago. Sign of the times!

Anyways, hit a clean line skier's right on Skyline into an untouched Tortilla Flats - laid out supportive hero pow. As good as it gets down here, or most places. Emilie's and South Bowl were right there, too. Never ventured into Bill's / upper Robin's / the Face, but I'm sure there was good stuff (thinly slathered on the latter) in there as well.

Rode all morning, then drove back home to baby duty with a shit-eating grin that, in spite of many shit-cleanings, has not left my face.

Changing diapers sucks a lot less when Baldy's firing.

Lower Herbs/ Upper Clementine. Sharks everywhere, but worth it..
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

Stoked you guys got some!

I do really love Herb's, although it takes a solid amount of coverage to get it going because of the way it faces. I have had some really fun lines there this year, slithering through the rocks. Because of how thin it gets you have to get it when you can.