Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

5/12 Baldy Update-

Ton of fun for practically mid-May. Snow was good, but going fast.
    Would be surprised if ops continued past Sunday!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230512_100439.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	458829

Name:	20230512_101520(0).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	458830

Name:	20230512_112250.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	458831

Name:	20230512_120338.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	458832

Name:  IMG_2020.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  FullSizeR(4).jpg
Views: 952
Size:  151.1 KB
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Yeah Baldy was great today. South Bowl is closed due to the traverse out being melted. The Tube was great but won't be around much longer. I really liked skier's right of the chair line down to Robin's in that section of trees. It's melting fast out there, get it while the gettin is good.

Name:	2023-05-12 15.58.14.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	458849

Sunday. Awesome corn, great coverage where there's snow.

Name:	PXL_20230514_223710039.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	459058

Couple days in LA for a friends graduation and got to ski Baldy on Sunday. What an absolutely fucking kick ass mountain. The terrain looks unbelievable if you have some decent snow. I love how fall line the mountain is, who needs mammoth if you have good snow and coverage.

I’m guessing baldy is really inconsistent and you have to work while the iron is on. Anyone want to give me a rundown on how the show works up there? My buddy has only skied there this season so I dont think his experience counts haha, skiing pow to the car on may 9th and all

I grew up in Upland and went to college in Claremont and I have never seen Baldy have a year as good or as late as this one. So ya, it’s a tough on to hit right but the terrain is kick ass

There's a ton of fun non-obvious lines. I've been skiing there 13 years and still find new stuff regularly depending on where the wind dropped the snow. This season really made me wish I was in better shape, lol.

Friday 3/3/23, this anyone here? Sign was almost buried, and check out Telegraph.

Name:	PXL_20230303_223552041.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	459130

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Couple days in LA for a friends graduation and got to ski Baldy on Sunday. What an absolutely fucking kick ass mountain. The terrain looks unbelievable if you have some decent snow. I love how fall line the mountain is, who needs mammoth if you have good snow and coverage.

I’m guessing baldy is really inconsistent and you have to work while the iron is on. Anyone want to give me a rundown on how the show works up there? My buddy has only skied there this season so I dont think his experience counts haha, skiing pow to the car on may 9th and all
    Makes me so happy you got to see this place, it always seems surreal to me someone had the vision and fortitude to build lifts there and see it as a viable economic thing.

As I understand it it's a bootstrapped family run operation. It takes me 65 minutes to get to the parking lot door to door. It's like fishing, sometimes you don't catch a pow day because it takes them a whole day to dig out, 10, 11, 12 to get going is not uncommon.

To call conditions inconsistent would be fair. It's known for being bony in places and destroying skis or people having dedicated baldy skis.

I saw a guy separate his shoulder there on Thunder at the runout near the bottom of 3 back on March 24-25 and it took patrol like 20 min to get to him but left his radio in the shack at the top of thunder, had to get the message relayed, seemed pretty rustic.

At the end of the day I was tired and took the lift down to my car thinking well if I wreck myself those guys sure as hell aren't going to save me.

I didn't ski Mammoth most of March when it was nuking nonstop and the drives and conditions were more questionable, just skied Baldy.

Chair 3 is Thunder mountain which has amazing terrain, Chair 4 that runs in the opposite direction across the hill needs some meaningful snow before it usually spins as it melts out fast.

Baldy bowl is also all time if you can get up there early enough. Great touring and hiking all around there if you know your way around and have the time to explore. Feb is supposed to be the rainy season here so historically Feb/Mar is when most of the action happens in my experience.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Not my photo, but such a bummer Hwy 2 has damage everywhere. The terrain in this photo is so much fun and would be great to be able to just park in a turnout and boot up the ridge.

Name:	IMG_5858-scaled.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	941.8 KB 
ID:	459304

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Friday 3/3/23, this anyone here? Sign was almost buried, and check out Telegraph.

Name:	PXL_20230303_223552041.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	459130

Not me, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the people in the shot. I don't know if I was there on March 3 or not. I love the Friday afternoon Baldy session when I can make it happen. Work all morning, leave around noon, get on the hill at 1:30, bang out 10 Thunder laps and get back to the car at 4:30. One of the nice things is that the traffic going back to Orange County is not TOO bad around that time. It seems odd, and it usually slows down a bit, but the 210 west and 57 south are not awful at that time as you are going against traffic flow. When you hop on the 57 and get a view as it goes over the 10 it's a parking lot in both directions. I suspect that for people who live in the South Bay this is not the case, they would have to hop on a route which will be packed, but this anomaly, bisecting the LA basin during rush hour with not all that much traffic, is serendipitous to say the least.

I will probably be up on Saturday. Hopefully some of you guys will be there.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 05-18-2023 at 08:53 AM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

So today is the last day for skiing at baldy. I'll be on the hill around 1130. GoPro, black helmet, blue pants, armada jj skis, give me a shout if you see me.

I think this has got to be the latest Baldy has ever been open. Have fun

Closing day at Baldy (Saturday, May 20) was a blast. The Emile's Bowl area and all of those trees were incredibly fun, slushy bumps and ledges to tear through. I expected it to be much grabbier than it was, but it was just classic corn.

I finally got to ski with Thousand Oaks, which was great. I'll post a bit of footage when I get time.

I had to walk in from chair 1, which was no big deal. I do wish there was enough snow to keep access to Emile's open, the skiing in that area is still great.

I saw people going into Robin's, which did require a bit of a hike out on the groomer. I didn't get to check it out.

Thanks to the Baldy crew for all their work during such an incredible season! Skiing perfect corn in late May in socal is really a treat.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Fun turns on Throop peak and the PCT chute to the East yesterday. Upper Throop wasn't the smoothest, but rest was fun. Steeper lines of Throop did not go and had exposed rock. Biked in from Grassy Hollow.

Name:	PXL_20230529_175127706.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	460322

Looked like N gully on Baden still went to highway and had a fresh track. NE gully thin strip to about 300' above dirt road, track from this weekend. Tons of PCT hikers walking on the closed highway.

Great work @406! I may have to copy this even though I called it a season. The bike to ski opportunity just looks like too much fun.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

From Vincent Gap, how far can you get up Hwy 2 on a road bike before being stopped by snow and have to leave the bike?

Parked bikes at bottom of each run. Only a little hike a bike on way in due to ice on highway, otherwise easy to ride around any piles of snow. Lots of rock fall, but PCT'ers cleared trail, so all rideable. Throop isn't as good as normal with the steeper lines melted out. Bunch more pictures on my strava.

^ Single-track through rockfall, or passable towing a two-wheel / two-kid baby trailer? Trailer is super handy, but sometimes being able to carry everything on the bike would be nice.

Caltrans shows closure at Islip and Big Pines, wonder if still open to Grassy Hollow. Anyone ever park at Hwy 39 closure and go up past Islip?

Probably be a pita with a trailer...but I would say that even with a clear road. I also haul two kids on my bike without a trailer, so in general, am against trailers. Light and fast is my approach. Bike in with ski boots on your feet, aframe the skis on the pack. It is not that far. Although the ride up from Vincent to grassy hollow does suck at the end of the day.

Caltrans map showed it closed at Big Pine when I parked at Grassy hollow. Who knows. My guess is they have closed there because they have bunch of equipment parked near Vincent. Never parked at 39, that would be more up hill to get in and I generally am trying to get on show as soon as possible.

Looker's right chute at the Patch on 6/18. https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ctpz8...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Still some lines on Charlton and San G for the die hards. 6/25 photo by Chad Nelson on FB.

Name:	san-g-20230626.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	593.3 KB 
ID:	463275

It's a month and a half late, but here are a few shots from closing day at Baldy.

I really couldn't believe just how nice the snow was. When you are making turns in snow like that you are lucky, whenever it is. When you are doing so in socal on May 20.....

June 7 in 1998 and I think similar in 1983.

I archived my ancient Southland Ski Server TRs.
    A true powder morning May 14, 1998: https://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/19980514baldytc.HTML
    I tried to repeat this experience May 5 this year, but new snow was super thick and difficult: https://www.firsttracksonline.com/bo...-5-2023.14770/

Backside tour with truck return to the Notch May 31, 1998: https://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/19980531baldytc.HTML
    I skied May 19 this with an eastern visitor: https://www.firsttracksonline.com/bo...19-2023.14778/ What was covered was good skiing but it was nowhere in the class with 1998.

I see a very favorable TR here from April 7. That was probably my best Baldy day this season: https://www.firsttracksonline.com/bo...-7-2023.14753/

I was there 3 days in early March but chair 4 was never running, it was much more crowded and snow was more difficult than the April corn.
    http://bestsnow.net
    "The most complete, comprehensive and objective guide to snowfall--and both prevailing and expected snow conditions--at North America's ski resorts ever published"- Powder Magazine.

June 7 in 1998 and I think similar in 1983.

I archived my ancient Southland Ski Server TRs.
    A true powder morning May 14, 1998: https://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/19980514baldytc.HTML
    I tried to repeat this experience May 5 this year, but new snow was super thick and difficult: https://www.firsttracksonline.com/bo...-5-2023.14770/

Backside tour with truck return to the Notch May 31, 1998: https://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/19980531baldytc.HTML
    I skied May 19 this season with an eastern visitor: https://www.firsttracksonline.com/bo...19-2023.14778/ What was covered was good skiing but it was nowhere in the class with 1998.

I see a very favorable TR here from April 7. That was probably my best Baldy day this season: https://www.firsttracksonline.com/bo...-7-2023.14753/

I was there 3 days in early March but chair 4 was never running, it was much more crowded and snow was more difficult than the April corn.
    http://bestsnow.net
    "The most complete, comprehensive and objective guide to snowfall--and both prevailing and expected snow conditions--at North America's ski resorts ever published"- Powder Magazine.

That's some great stuff Tony C!

It's particularly cool to see the shots of Stockton Flats.

TonyC! You rock. I love the info on your site bestsnow.net.