Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

kind of a mess in the baldy bowl at the moment. natural mid-storm avalanche activity and wind has scoured a lot of terrain. the lookers left shoulder is scoured to white ice. some corn forming, but i think i'll hold off til the next storm cycle to return.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPTempDownload.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	802.0 KB 
ID:	308808

Check out today's photos of Telegraph chutes, also wiped down to ice. https://m.facebook.com/socalsnowavalanchecenter/

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Check out today's photos of Telegraph chutes, also wiped down to ice. https://m.facebook.com/socalsnowavalanchecenter/
    Impressive ice chutes on Telegraph Peak.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mt Baden Powell, New Years 2020

Skied off the summit of Mt. Baden Powell on New Years.

Went up/down the summer trail.

Skied in from the gate at Grassy Hollow visitors center. Had snow coverage the whole way, though on the return trip parts of the road were melting quickly.

Great wind-buff pow for the top 1500' but got pretty wet/manky after that.

Name:	Baden_Summit.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	309150

Name:	Baden_Summit_2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	309149

Nice! I really want to ski Baden Powell soon. Probably ski Waterman next weekend if it opens again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I skied the resort at Baldy the last two days. It was fun, the groomers on Thunder are in great shape. Off the groomed it is a mixed bag. I skied under Thunder a bunch, it got okay as it softened up, but it was still firm in some spots. A lot of the off-piste stuff is till unconsolidated. I ended up skiing Gold Rush a bunch of times both days, that was the best I found. The snow on Gold Rush is a big more packed down and edgable, though it is still firm in some spots. Gold Rush and the groomers were the best I found. Skiing down to the lot at the end of the day is getting pretty bony, but still very doable. They have Bentley's closed right now, so going down under lift one is the only option. All-in-all the coverage is great right now, and the conditions pretty fun. It has been a great start to the year.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Yep, super variable but the groomers are fantastic, and still some soft areas (and some residual crowns from storm avi's) in shaded lee aspects.

Last weekend was pretty much a copy of the weekend before. The coverage is good, groomers are great. There are some good, and some bad turns off the groomed, but it is great to ski Baldy with this kind of coverage.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Hopefully Thurs/Friday will refresh the snow a bit?

SoCal Kick-Off

Name:	IMG_1553.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	311431
    Conditions on North aspects of the Angeles Crest were pretty good yesterday. 4 inches of snow from the recent snow did not refreeze. I did 3 laps at Krakta in the morning and got a lift ticket for Waterman in the afternoon. With only around 25 rider tracking it out, there were a lot of fresh turns to be had. And it’s only an hour away. Lots of good tree skiing.

Baldy was lots of fun today. We skied a bunch of laps on skyline, which was nice, then we lapped the line under the chair and the,area to the skier's left of the lift for the rest of the day.. it softened up, although it was firm in spots. I did not hit Herb's or Gold Rush. It is still skiing very well, although I would wait for it to soften up. The lot runs are closed.

Baldy is skiing nice today, coverage is better than expected. A couple guys are even skiing shirtless, if you're into that.

My wife is originally from Redlands and I have hiked Baldy and other locales pictured in this thread. Really cool to see it with snow. Would love to ski there some day. Thanks for the Socal ski stoke!

Anyone have plans to get out this weekend, backcountry or otherwise? Thoughts on what might be skiing well?

I'm up in Big Bear for a 3-day weekend with the family skied Snow valley yesterday using free lift ticket from baldy pass and got the 4-year-old on the chairlift for the first time. at Bear mountain today tele skiing and the groomers are fun they got soft midday anything in the trees is stayed firm. Had planned to do back country on Sugarloaf tomorrow but forgot skins (dad brain) and coverage does not look that good. With how warm it is I'm a little surprised the non groomed is not getting soft.

I don’t have much free time this weekend but I am either skiing at Baldy Resort or touring around Waterman for a half day. More for the uphill since I expect the snow to be terrible. Maybe it’s softened up from warmer temps.

Fun turns on Badin-Powell today. Ski to the road and plenty of old good powder to be found. But also some patches of firm snow :-)

Down the main drainage, or the gully to the back of the parking lot? How much snow is on Hwy2 behind the gate?

NE gully down to mine trail. 2 looked plowed for the 100 feet I could see.

I was going to ski that today but I broke my binding and UPS wasn’t quick enough Hopefully next weekend. Was the road closed at Grassy Hollow? God to know it wasn’t 100% boilerplate

Signs all said closed at grassy hollow but when we got to the gate it was open to Vincent Gap, thankfully.

Hitting Baldy, the resort, today for some afternoon laps. I will probably get there around noon and ski until a little after 3. Hopefully some of the rest of you will be around.

If anyone is interested Baldy is now selling passes for next year for 299. They are good for the rest of this season too.

Today was really fun at Baldy. I got up there around 1245, did about 10 laps, mostly Emile's and Gold Rush, and called it a day. It was pretty slushy by that point, I would go a bit earlier if you want to head up. They do need more snow, but if you have big skis and wax it is a blast.

Above is a video I shot yesterday skiing Gold Rush. It will give you a feel for what Baldy is like right now. I would fast forward over the first minute, I just got the gopro hooked up and I suck at using it.