Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

Skied BP today. Topped out around 1030 and run on East face was perfect. Could still ski to dirt road.

couple pov videos from Baden yesterday:

Did any of you guys hit Baldy for closing weekend? I was too spent after four days in Mammoth to go up on Sunday. Do they allow people to hike Thunder and ski? The coverage on Thunder should still be good for a couple more weeks.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Did any of you guys hit Baldy for closing weekend? I was too spent after four days in Mammoth to go up on Sunday. Do they allow people to hike Thunder and ski? The coverage on Thunder should still be good for a couple more weeks.
    We skied there Saturday - it was pretty thin coverage but a lot of fun. We rode in short sleeves all day. I can't imagine there is going to be much of anything left after mid-week, high 60s expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Yup, Sunday was gooooood...and empty. Lapped Robins trees all afternoon. Didn't get really soupy til around 4. Last run down Goldridge an hour after that was...interesting. Snowpack is pretty deep still, and stuff that had been skied/packed in the last 24 was all good. Anything off that and you were sinking in glop to at least boot top, if not knees. Had me wishing for waterskis.

What is left coverage-wise is going fast. If they let you hike you might get one more week out of it. Doubtful there will be much left beyond that.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Pinned and Speedfreak,

Thanks for the reports. I was bummed to miss it. This was a very good year for Baldy. While it would be nice to get more laps, you really can't complain with the season they had.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

RIP Waterman yesterday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7201.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	371192
    Was up 3 weeks ago and it was real icy, but still that went fast

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    couple pov videos from Baden yesterday:

sweet, glad someone else enjoyed the last strip off baden as well. that was some tasty corn

I'm seeing snow on the radar for San G's and B's, but looks like rain on the base snow summit webcams. 33 at big pine, but also looks like rain at mt hi base. Next week storm will hopefully be colder as suggested by forecast.

Edit: Do see some snow at top of Bear mtn, woot!
    Last edited by 406; 12-09-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Looks like a dusting all around. Next weeks storm is smaller than I hoped to really fill in some of the San Gabriel justify a sick day to tour out there. I still might do a pre-work AM lap on Waterman next week to check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I'm seeing snow on the radar for San G's and B's, but looks like rain on the base snow summit webcams. 33 at big pine, but also looks like rain at mt hi base. Next week storm will hopefully be colder as suggested by forecast.

Edit: Do see some snow at top of Bear mtn, woot!

Do you see for easy access to Waterman, Kratka etc moving forward this season? Haven't been keeping up, apologies. Last season it was gated bc of the previous summer fire damage and the road was shut. I walked the closed road a few times last winter and probably technically shouldn't have trying to figure it out. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

what do you guys know about Mountain High?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    It’s as big as bear mtn and has a lot of terrain park features. Decent sidecountry.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

they bought dodge ridge
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Mt High does a great job with snowmaking, marketing, and has a sharp patrol and staff. Mostly young snowboard park rats go there, older folks and skiers go elsewhere. From the outside, it appears to be a pro operation.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-11-2021 at 08:20 AM.

SoCal Kick-Off

Checking into my old stomping grounds thread for old time’s sake. Learned to ski at Mt High East when it was still named Holiday Hill and a separate ski hill from Mt High. I was five.

Used to poach the half pipe at Mt High when it was reserved for Snowboarders. Miss the days when Snow Summit had one of the best parks in North America. My brother and I used to session the park for hours on end on our Salomon Teneighty skis. All the snowboarders used to think we were sponsored since they never saw skiers hit the park like that. Now, I pay the price for beating up my body landing on that harsh man made snow and flat landings.

We called Mt High either “Mt Dry” or “Mt Why?” As in why did I choose to ski here? Snow Summit was “Snow Scummit” and Bear Mtn was “Big Barren Mtn”. It seemed to have better runs and more challenging terrain versus Summit but also seemed to have a much less “polished” operational model.

BTW, what ever happened to Snow Valley? Does anyone ski there anymore?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Its still there, only driven past, to me reads more like a snow tubing location with an ain't-worth-it vibe

I really liked snow valley and learned at baldy. Decent sidecountry for sure

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Looking like a couple of feet this week, going to be good for these operations over the holidays

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I really liked snow valley and learned at baldy. Decent sidecountry for sure

We used to go there when we wanted a change of scenery versus Mt High, which we mostly hit for night skiing.

Slide Peak at Snow Valley (what a terrible name, when you think about it) was the first time I tried “shaped skis”. My buddy was the Ski Department manager at Oshman’s (which later became Sportsmart) and brought some 188 K2 Four’s out. I was on my 200 K2 MSL’s and he was smoking me down the bumps at Slide Peak. I convinced him to swap skis with me and I was blown away. My life changed that day…at Snow Valley of all places!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Hopefully the storm coming in Tuesday will hit Baldy as hard at it is supposed to.

I've only had one day this year. My wife and I went to Snow Summit about a week ago for some Friday afternoon groomers to break in the boots. It was nice, all things considered. I've been too swamped to get up to Mammoth so far this year. I will be up at Mammoth early next week for a few days, finally. If this storm does set things up I might hit up Baldy this weekend. Let's hope things go as advertised, for both Baldy and Mammoth.

Snow Forest, MacGyver got avalanched at that extreme Big Bear hill in the '80s

Temp/snowline is everything when it comes to tomorrow's storm. A degree or two cooler or warmer is all it takes to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Temp/snowline is everything when it comes to tomorrow's storm. A degree or two cooler or warmer is all it takes to flip.
    Unfortunately prophetic 1000-Oaks!

They got some good base snow, which is certainly a positive, but apparently not enough to open Thunder.

Let's hope the stuff that is coming the rest of the month ends up working out. This storm could end up supplying a decent base.

It is disappointing though. I'll be in Mammoth for a couple of days next week, then gone until after the new year. I'm hoping to hit Baldy in early January. Fingers crossed.

I might sneak in a half day at Snow Summit this weekend. I was really hoping for Baldy.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Got the Ikon add-on last year as a just-in-case. Used it for friday night tele-turns on weekends I wasn't at Mammoth. Really not a bad joint at all if you're just looking to get some mellow turns in. Really not a bad deal for under $200.

Swapped for the Indy pass this year since it aligns with some travel plans. Guess I'll be checking out SV a couple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.