Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

Skied one of the gullies of Big Draw on Sunday. Great conditions. Rain crust down below but nice snow in the trees and great windbuff up high. I ran into some other Splitboarder’s who were lapping the chutes of Jepson. Rain crust was more persistent there. Put skins on 3.5 miles from the trailhead. Big Draw had wind slabs but none propagated on testing. I’m sure all of the conditions will change after the storm. Hoping to get to Baden Powell later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1996.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	320657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1998.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	320658

Nice work. Hopefully after this storm you can ski most of the way back to the car.

Solid work gentleman. Thanks for the beta. I will update with any plans and/or TRs.

Nice work getting good snow on the peak, long slog to get there.

What elevation could you ski to on the way down?

We left our trail runners about 8200 ft and 3.5 miles from the trail. Sure you could ski further now

Going local tomorrow to Waterman if the road is open. Will provide beta

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Going local tomorrow to Waterman if the road is open. Will provide beta

Nice shots! Let us know.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Baldy is selling daily tix, with 15-min intervals between redemption at ticket office.
    Thinking of Friday am...anyone?
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

USFS is shutting down access points. But on the plus side this storm is looking good, so fingers crossed for some turns late April and May...maybe even June like last year.

Ya, my buddy on Baldy FD said all trails have been closed due to the shitshow of people suddenly needing to hike.

does anyone have any ski wax thats in the area? i am in palm desert, really need to wax the skis.

Looked like Waterman may have been turning yesterday. We went further and did 3 laps on Kratka on some corn that turned to slsuh by the end of the day. Snow was great but melting quick.

The owners have been running the lifts for themselves and family throughout this pandemic. They come in midday and track out the open runs. They're not good enough to ski the trees so after fresh snowfall there is still plenty freshies to be had. They turn away anyone asking to use the lift. However, yesterday I heard they let some people on. Not sure.

As I'm already thinking about next season, what would you consider classic backcountry ski lines in Socal?

Does Baldy reopening make them the only open ski area in US?

Dunno, but I'll be there about 10:30 for some Cornvid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Dunno, but I'll be there about 10:30 for some Cornvid-19.
    I got the email and I am intrigued. Let us know how it is, I might be able to make it tomorrow.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Boom! in for 11am....
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Conditions are goooood, creamy schmooo.

SoCal Kick-Off

Lol you guys this is rad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    As I'm already thinking about next season, what would you consider classic backcountry ski lines in Socal?
    Call Big Willi Mountaineering in Lone Pine and talk to Blair. The man could write the book for SoCal backcountry lines, he used to live down here and knows the region better than anyone I've met. Some of his reports are on summitpost.

Gorgonio and baldy couloirs are bound to be in the classic descents.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

good shit today, excellent coverage & conditions...

Name:	IMG_6271.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	637.1 KB 
ID:	326151

Name:	IMG_6288.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	994.0 KB 
ID:	326152

Name:	IMG_6275.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	621.6 KB 
ID:	326153
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Damn. Coverage looks real good. How different was the resort setup because of the social distancing rules? Was the Notch closed?

Social distancing was good, nearly everyone wore masks and behaved. Never went to Notch, stayed on the chair all afternoon.

Other than maybe a couple days right after big storms, coverage is probably the best it's been all season. Only Herb's and Andy's are starting to get patchy, it's deep most everywhere else. Hasn't fully consolidated, pole plants often go much deeper than you expect so don't use straps. Mid-fat skis are still a good call, it's not corn yet.

Lots of cops around (PD chopper even circled the area a few times), so be sure you have a mask and use it.