Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

I'll be up there tomorrow, so see you out there.

Closed for today due to power outage :/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Closed for today due to power outage :/

Let's hope things are a go tomorrow.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1231.JPG 
Views:	6946 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	305238 Made it out to Baldy Resort today. Nothing was groomed, coverage was good on chair 3, with lighter pack up high and wet heavy snow at the bottom. It got worse as more patches of rain came through and we bailed around 2 pm after we got soaked through. Still good practice to ski variable conditions and fun terrain. Only took one pic

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post

Name:	IMG_1231.JPG 
Views:	6946 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	305238 Made it out to Baldy Resort today. Nothing was groomed, coverage was good on chair 3, with lighter pack up high and wet heavy snow at the bottom. It got worse as more patches of rain came through and we bailed around 2 pm after we got soaked through. Still good practice to ski variable conditions and fun terrain. Only took one pic
    Thanks for posting!

I was going to go up today, just to get my first day of the year and break in the boots/legs. A big WNW swell was building and it looked like the wind was going to hold off so I decided to surf 28th street today in Newport. It was insane, so I'm glad I did, but I am thinking about hitting Baldy tomorrow.

That shot makes it look like the coverage is pretty good for this time of year. I don't think I have ever skied Baldy before late December.
    Thanks for the report. I'm curious as to how the roads were?
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Roads were clear. Look out for rocks. Also there were like 6 skiers all day so much of the mountain should still be untracked.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Roads were clear. Look out for rocks. Also there were like 6 skiers all day so much of the mountain should still be untracked.

Thanks!

It will be a morning decision whether to surf or ski. A good problem to have, if it can be called a problem.

skied baldy bowl today. 9k and above was fully refrozen rain crust, transitioning to upside-down slush below. coverage is good to the ski hut, should be fun corn up there when high pressure sets in this week. unique experience breaking a quarter inch of rime off of my skis before clicking in.

gf and friends skied pow in mammoth instead, work obligations are sometimes a real bummer....

Once I hear the first reports of corn-like conditions I’m gonna have to take a sick day!

Skied the resort at baldy today. The snow was manky mashed potatoes before lunch, pretty bad. Like comically bad.

After lunch the new snow made it pretty enjoyable and actually ski well. It was micro hail/sleet/snow. Like dippin dots. This new layer skied like corn on top. Had a fantastic time on the four runs I took in the afternoon.

Baldy is good skiing when their ski patrol has their shit together. But they very rarely have their shit together.

aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

bbrianburke, did coverage look good enough that the chutes will be skiable if the snow gets soft?

Baldy ski area webpage is claiming they will spin chair 4 on Wednesday.

nice corn up on baldy as of 12/11/19. coverage is nice on the lookers left, but a lot of the lines will need a shot of snow before they're good to go. we skied zeke's and the shoulder. nice corn on the shoulder, an inch or two of corn on crust down the gut. good fun up there!

decent coverage on 'zeke's'

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	738.4 KB 
ID:	305862

the bowl on the approach

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	305863

'dare' looks good to go

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	305864
    Last edited by bbrianburke; 12-11-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Skyline, Tortilla, and Bonanza groomed & open, pretty good conditions where groomed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191215_094220.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	306276

That looks familiar

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I was there Saturday doing laps on Skylight and Tortilla. Nice that it’s not crowded at all and easy to get to from the city. With coverage getting thin, I’m hoping for another dump of snow soon.

What run is tortilla?

About halfway down Skyline, you can take a right turn into the gully that runs to the bottom of Skyline. It's a really short run.

Shortcut is skiing well, but just after it meets Robin's it's really thin and icy. Basically a sheet of ice full of rocks and little tree stumps. Not fun.

Sucks that I'll be out of town this week but this storm should make Mt Baldy resort fun and possibly Waterman might open. If my wife lets me, I'll sneak out tomorrow morning and check out Snowcrest for a few turns on mellow terrain.

If the storm late this week delivers, SoCal just might have another good season.

Name:	IMG_1341.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	307535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1335.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	307536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1328.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	307537

Made it to snowcrest for one quick lap. Upside down snow with a 5 cm rain crust and about a foot of powder underneath. One hand pit on a NE slope failed immediately.I stayed on mellow terrain so I didn’t bother with more tests. I saw a solo skier come down Waterman and he described similar conditions. Coverage is real good on the Angeles Crest.

The Angeles Crest was pretty icy on the way up at 7am.

The yahoo hikers are chomping at the bit to climb Baldy after the closure ended today, sadly the SAR guys will probably have a busy weekend.

wow, that is a low snow line. I'm guessing upper elevations are getting hammered by the wind. Hopefully snow play clowns get there fill prior to the weekend.
    UPDATE: 6am Thursday 12/26/2019
    You would think ‘Snowing at the dam’ would be a wonderful thing to hear. But, the reality is the roads are mess. There is at least 6″ at the tunnels, 1′ in the village and 2′ in the parking lot. The road is jammed at the tunnels and no sign of LA County. The forecast has 6″ to 10″ more on the way. Stay tuned while get to work.

The wind was forecast to swing about 270 degrees during the course of the storm, hoping that helped spread out the new coverage a bit.

My buddy in Baldy village is posting some deep accumulations. Heard the wrecks have already commenced and the tunnels blocked

wind forecast is no bueno. sitting this storm cycle out.

coverage is going to be awesome. good fun when freeze-thaw sets in.