Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal Kick-Off

True boilerplate ice with patches of thin wind-deposited pow. Booting requires axe and crampons, unless you like to slide for life. Helo has already made one run to Register Ridge.

Chair 2 laps are groomed and in great shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211218_201337080.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	397304

Thanks for report, that is kind of what I was guessing after seeing how warm the first part of the storm was...plus all the wind. But better than nothing and should be good base for next good sized storm, hopefully soonish.

Bonanza is currently a frozen river of solid clear ice. On the bright side, that 8"+ of ice does a great job covering rocks and will melt slowly in Spring, keeping the season going.

Name:	PXL_20211219_201645536.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	397541
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-20-2021 at 12:29 AM.

Wife and i did some fucking around on beginner chair yesterday (pribably my only weekday to ski all year). She’s hitting small park jumps now which is a bonus. We left before the snow really rolled in.

THIIIIIN bottom of chair 1. Maybe 2-3ft will do it, maybe not. Looks more promising up around chair 3

We probably heading up Sunday. Any takers? I’m the Jack off w orange pants and orange helmet on DPS w wife way too good looking for me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

yeah buddy!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Hey guys, really stupid question for the local collective. Not ski-related, but...the wife got us a cabin in Green Valley Lake up nearish Big Bear for the weekend. Check-in time is 3pm fri, but with the storm petering out tonight if we left at, say noon tomorrow that'll put us smack in the middle of the snow play holiday weekend joey apocalypse. When should we leave friday, living in Upland? Now? Yesterday? Not looking to ski friday, just want to get up there with minimal hassle. Was thinking 8 or 9, trying to slot between skiers getting up to the resorts, and all the snowplay JONGs.

I'm expecting chain control, will be driving a wagon with studded Nokian Hakka snows and will have chains in the car, just would prefer not to run chains on bare dry road.

Yeah yeah yeah fuck the cabin stay at home and rip Baldy instead, you explain that to the wife who doesn't ski.

Probably the earlier the better, takes one thing to slow down traffic (and at least one thing will happen) and folks will be flocking there. Check in times are always drag, especially if you have pets.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Probably the earlier the better, takes one thing to slow down traffic (and at least one thing will happen) and folks will be flocking there. Check in times are always drag, especially if you have pets.

But if you can go rip baldy, do that instead!

Been in line since 830. Maybe almosy there….

Holler if u see a skittle on purple and green fatty DPS

-Jimi Hendrix

Well, how was it? Still stuck on traffic getting off the hill?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Well, how was it? Still stuck on traffic getting off the hill?
    Some say Max is still sitting in traffic…

Jealous, wish I’d been able to hit up Baldy but this cabin rental was something my wife had been looking forward to for a long time, plus after a bonkers Nov and Dec I needed to unplug a couple days.

I know neither are especially great shakes, but of the Big Bear resorts is Bear Mountain or Snow Scummit preferable over the other? I’m part of the IKON epidemic now so both are free/unlimited for me…

It was pretty damn good. Aside from WAY overshooting The Face my first run and ending up billygoating some shit I wish I hadn’t, burning over an hour in best conditions…

Pea soup visibility most of the day, and snow was pretty upside down and set up fairly quickly. Don’t really understand the crust that formed even before first run.

But coverage pretty darn good, all of chair 3 was open, waiting on 4.

See y’all up there today w the wife. Here’s to hoping she doesn’t hate it…

-Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    but of the Big Bear resorts is Bear Mountain or Snow Scummit preferable over the other?
    I don't do the park and telemark if skiing up there so I actually get some exercise and like Summit better. Seems less crowded on the slopes, wider runs that have a more consistent pitch. BM seems more busy and narrow runs that are steep/flat/steep/flat with falling leaf snowboarders. Lift layout also seems odd. Although in theory, BM might have better side country if conditions allow. But I do like BM beginner lift better for my kids.

Skied Baldy resort today, snow on Robin's, Bonanza and Skyline was fantastic. Emilie's was pretty good, Goldridge was ok. Did not make it in the South Bowl area, but did one fun run through the Tube and that cooked my legs, still some heavy wind affected powder in there.

Name:	2022-01-03 13.09.17.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	399653

Name:	2022-01-03 10.08.20.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	399649

Robin's

Name:	2022-01-03 10.14.56.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	399650

Tube Adjacent

Name:	2022-01-03 12.33.57.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	399651

View of Catalina with some cargo ships still waiting at the port of LA

Name:	2022-01-03 14.07.35.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	399652

Coverage looks good! From reading Baldy's IG, they are not running 4? Claiming no staff?

I'm in town for few weeks, thinking of hitting up Baldy. I've only come up in the Spring in the past, so I'm wondering how bad the snowplay traffic will be? If I come up before the lifts open, does the traffic snarl downhill as well?

^ Yes, but it's usually not as bad after dark when most snow players are cold and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Yes, but it's usually not as bad after dark when most snow players are cold and go home.
    The DARK? F me, I've been riding outside of SoCal for too long... oh well I'll just have some patience.

Coverage looks good! From reading Baldy's IG, they are not running 4? Claiming no staff?
    Talking with a few lifties it seemed there were at least a couple newbies working solo at a station yesterday and that's without 4 running. Also the Yacht Club is severely understaffed, there was a very small crowd but you would have thought the parking lot was full and overflowing with how long the food/beverage line was checking a couples times an hour apart, no problem finding a table.

Coverage is even pretty good on Bentley's but didn't try skiing it because it didn't warm up enough for me to think it would be fun. Herb's Hollow had good coverage, but barely softened up even with having direct sun the whole day so I figured the good parking lot runs would be less than ok. Skied the lift line down 1 and it was decent conditions.

Name:	2022-01-03 09.44.17.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	399780

how is mountain HIGH?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

anyone get out this last weekend? Not my photos, found on the socal snow ig, looks like Mt. BP went huge after the last storm.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 12.09.19 PM.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	400584

Name:	271660686_10221796040755843_6498476034968144741_n.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	400585

The storm came in heavy with a 4 inch rain crust on top on north facing aspects so I didn't bother with BP, plus the road was closed at Big Pines for a few days after the storm. Reports that the NW gully also ran to the road. One group ventured out there, dug a pit, and got propagation results on a thin facet layer between the new and old snow.

anyone get out this last weekend? Not my photos, found on the socal snow ig, looks like Mt. BP went huge after the last storm.
    I was up Saturday and Sunday. Coverage is very good on Thunder and probably still good on 4 (but no staff to run the lift). Groomers are fantastic, mostly coral reef elsewhere. Still some small patches of pow in the darkest, most shaded spots. The top inch or two softened up in Andy's and Herbs, but still a rough ride. Clementine and the face of 2 softened a lot deeper, but was still chopped up from when it was skied pow. Chair 1 stuff looks good on the top half, but is super thin below. I didn't roll the dice.

Conditions are fantastic for early season. Sunny afternoons on 4 would be amazing, anyone want to be a lift op?

"Night vision goggle hoist utilized to rescue injured skier from Mt. Baldy"
    https://www.redlandscommunitynews.co...a1f53ad2a.html

I skied baldy Friday had a blast. Got to the parking lot at 1030, lapped chair 3 15x and was out at 230 to be back home by 4p.