Thread: Quiver question

Quiver question

So I've got Head Monster 98 in 184 as my early/late season resort ski and Wren 108 resort pow ski. It's going to be our first winter in SLC since we moved from East. I've recently picked up Bibby Tour 190 with Shifts and DPS RPC 2.0 192cm.
    Was going to ski resorts with occasional tours outside of resorts when it gets too crowded.
    Question: Which skis should I keep and which could be moved to gear swap? I'm full time employed and full time family guy, so not looking to put 70-100 days, but 25-30 seems doable.
    Thanks for suggestions!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Seems like the overlap is with the RPC and Wrens. But you're kinda lacking a legit pow ski (bibby's would be good, but tour version is a bit lacking for motoring through end of day inbounds chop).

I'd sell the RPC's and get something ~120 underfoot and chargey.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Seems like the overlap is with the RPC and Wrens. But you're kinda lacking a legit pow ski (bibby's would be good, but tour version is a bit lacking for motoring through end of day inbounds chop).

I'd sell the RPC's and get something ~120 underfoot and chargey.
    Like Spurs or Protest? RPC is closer to Bibby in weight and waist width. I was thinking of selling RPC and Wrens and get something 120+ in waist.

Yeah - spurs, protest, etc. The Rossi black ops has my eye, but I haven't tried them. Really though, it's a pow ski. Almost any fat ski is fun in pow, it just comes down to your personal preferences.

Personally, I'd keep the wren (assuming you like it). That seems like a great everyday non-pow ski. If it were my quiver, the monsters wouldn't get much use, but it's nice to have something skinny for when conditions are truly bad.

The RPC seems just fat enough to not be a great daily driver, not fat enough to be a real pow ski, and maybe a little too light to be properly chargey. So it kinda sits in a less useful no-man's land.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah - spurs, protest, etc. The Rossi black ops has my eye, but I haven't tried them. Really though, it's a pow ski. Almost any fat ski is fun in pow, it just comes down to your personal preferences.

Personally, I'd keep the wren (assuming you like it). That seems like a great everyday non-pow ski. If it were my quiver, the monsters wouldn't get much use, but it's nice to have something skinny for when conditions are truly bad.

The RPC seems just fat enough to not be a great daily driver, not fat enough to be a real pow ski, and maybe a little too light to be properly chargey. So it kinda sits in a less useful no-man's land.
    Thanks for the input.

Gotta ask, which SLC resorts?

My quiver changed significantly when I moved from being an SLC based AltaBird skier to a PC based Canyons/PC/DV skier.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Gotta ask, which SLC resorts?

My quiver changed significantly when I moved from being an SLC based AltaBird skier to a PC based Canyons/PC/DV skier.
    Haven't decided yet and no season pass purchased. I guess I'll try to explore as many options as possible during this season and see what works best for me. During my previous visits I tried both Alta and Snowbird and Brighton (wife/kid).

Roger that.

On good snow years, I preferred 105-115 underfoot as the daily driver for AltaBird skiing. So many soft snow/deep chop/pow days, and so little time spent on piste.

Like others have said, you need a 115-130 underfoot ski for truly deep days, when you have more than 18” in 24hr . But realize that you will be skiing deep chop way more than untracked pow. The Cottonwoods get skied out quickly these days. So your fat ski needs to be surfy in untouched pow but damp in choppy leftovers.