Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I've been seeing a lot of people with complaints about the G3 glue. Lots of globs sticking to the bottom of skis and splitboards, but also a lot (like most of the people with G3 skins) of people loving them. I feel like the quality control of G3 might not be the best? Kinda makes no sense why some are bomber and some are not.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I dunno what other people's experience is, but with G3 or BD skins, any kind I've tried, the glue eventually goes bad. Especially after touring in wet spring & summer snow like we get in the Cascades. Reglue is the solution. Once you've done it a few times, you should be able to scrape off the old glue and reglue in less than an hour of actual labor time. Definitely worth it, just make sure to do it in a very well ventilated area!

Edit: hair drier + paint scraper is the best way, for sure. If you don't scrape out all the bad glue, you're wasting time.

My cousin swears by these for hunting and he hasnt had glue issues as far as i know

Name:  thuntuk.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  56.8 KB
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have 4 pairs of lightly used and gently treated gummed up G3 skins. I’m leaning towards buying some gold label and re-gluing them opposed to buying new skins. I’ve never re-glued skins so I’m sure there will be a learning curve. I’m sure I can figure it out but it would be upsetting to burn a ton of time and end up buying new skins anyway. Any encouragement or discouragement before I commit to a miserable weekend?

Sticky/gooey G3 skin glue

Search for other threads on this. IME, gold label or BD is better than old G3 crappy-doesn’t-work-especially-in-spring glue.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrwW0lH2z8

this is a good ^^ vid comparing sheet glue vs goldlabel, I have done both and I would just goldlabel

being well setup when you are stripping old glue, tacking the skins to a bench, having a place to wipe the glue, heating it in at a higher heat is all pretty key IME

Thanks. I have a temperature adjustable heat gun and it’s some of the best money I’ve spent on a cheap tool. I’m thinking that will be clutch for this project.

I’d prefer to do sheets but wouldn’t use G3 glue willingly again. Gold label seems to have a much better reputation.
    Last edited by TexasGortex; 01-12-2022 at 11:58 AM.

I’m about to embark on this same journey. Old pair of G3 alpinist, 2 tubes of BD gold label…

I have an iron for the paper bag method but think I’ll pick up a cheap heat gun and scrape them clean, seems like a better end result to me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

yeah get a cheap heat gun and a 4" putty knife

I only use one tube per set of skins, I think some folks use even less

What I do is stretch them out side by side with DW screws and make equal tracks of glue on each skin or you might not get equal glue distribution

I have seen the paper bag method go south, my buddy the MD runs out of paper bags and starts using newspaper which alll falls apart, at some point is a huge fucking mess so he calls for a consult, I go over with my heat gun & scraper to save his ass

then i get to bug him that he is lucky house calls are not a thing of the past for everyone

Midway project update: G3 can eat my ass

I just went through this with some G3 skins that I snagged on CL for free.

Hit them with the paper bag trick to pull dirt/debris from them. While the glue was still hot, picked out the bigger shit with a set of tweezers.

Glue was still sticky, so I then hit the surface with a heat gun until it became shiny - then air-dry overnight while hanging up.

This seemed to do the trick, and glue is working like new.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

For anyone that stumbles across this thinking of regluing skins:

It was not enjoyable but I’ve done worse projects. I would reglue skins again in the future, but only if I otherwise really loved the skins and they were in great shape. I mostly chose to reglue in an attempt to keep new-ish gear out of a landfill. On a purely use-of-time-and-money it would have been better to buy new skis. Especially since the G3 performance is meh.

I would not buy G3 again specifically because of their glue. No matter how badly they temp me with $94 skins on Backcountry. Good hardware, whatever performance, shit glue.

I know all brands have runs of bad glue, and all skins eventually need regluing, G3 is just seems far too often. I also find goopy glue stuck to ski bases and gear to be amongst the least desirable failures.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I just went through this with some G3 skins that I snagged on CL for free.

Hit them with the paper bag trick to pull dirt/debris from them. While the glue was still hot, picked out the bigger shit with a set of tweezers.

Glue was still sticky, so I then hit the surface with a heat gun until it became shiny - then air-dry overnight while hanging up.

This seemed to do the trick, and glue is working like new.
    This ^^ I just did a re-heat job on some pomoca skins that I had reglued with gold label, so IME G3, gold label, pomoca all the brands of glue will fuck up

Use DW screws to attach the skins by the ends to a 8' x 12" plywood off cut I keep around for this purpose, cover with baking parchment paper NOT WAX PAPER and hit with a 320F Iron, put the board outside over nite to cool, paper will come off easy in the morning the glue will look pretty even but not shinny, glue is really only shinny until you use it once anyhow

heat gun is ONLY used with scraper to remove all glue for a reglue job,

the reheating of an existing glue job with a waxing iron is not noxious like doing a total reglue, reheating is very benign it costs nothing so its worth trying, if you still get glue transfer its time for the total re-glue
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-06-2022 at 03:40 PM.

Regluing skis is easy and I find it very satisfying if you need a reglue hit me up. I've done somewhere around 100 reglues over the past 2 years.

Yup a very easy DIY, I don't mind doing my own but I don't wana do it for anybody else and I have thot about it

what the sarge is charging is > fair

edit: every question has been answered about 3 times on this 2 pages, so read the fucking thread before you ask the same question again, same question again, same question again
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-06-2022 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Yup a very easy DIY, I don't mind doing my own but I don't wana do it for anybody else and I have thot about it

what the sarge is charging is > fair

edit: every question has been answered about 3 times on this 2 pages, so read the fucking thread before you ask the same question again, same question again, same question again

...but how do I fix sticky glue from G3, does anyone know!?!?!?!

www.experiencedgear.net

On the 4th spring this season I found a hot shower cleans skins up pretty well.

You take it off and apply BD Gold Label

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    You take it off and apply BD Gold Label
    I think buddy was just sucessfuly trying to be a stupid cunt

so I something i tried yesturday on some skins that were leaving a little residue but not too bad, it was goldlabel glue on a dynafit Pomoca skin

i don't have room to long term store 4 or 5 pair of skins in the freezer of my fridge so I just put this pair in the freezer overnight, i cleaned the bases with citrus wax remover, applied skins and went skiing,

I didnt get any transfer of glue to bases

something easy to try
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-26-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Short answer, skin glue sucks, so send em back.

There’s no reasonable solution here. I get a full season of use out of my skins before they start leaving glue residue on my bases, and it rapidly gets worse from there. I’ve tried most variations of re-gluing, (strips, gold label, full-reapplications, patching, ironing) and none have produced stable glue even slightly comparable to factory applied. BSMP’s reglueing service looks like a viable option, but that with shipping, the US$ exchange, and that they won’t deal with G3 nylon skins and charge double for any other G3s, it’s way cheaper for me to buy new.

I went through a bunch of years when I’d sell (locally for cheap) my year-old skins, and buy new (pro-deal) every season, but then became convinced that regularly warrantying them might motivate the companies to improve their product. Lots more years sending my G3 skins back for replacement every summer, but if anything the glue (from a durability perspective) was getting worse, as they focused more on reducing its toxicity. Moved over to Pomocas last year, hoping for better, but still didn’t get a full season out of them. Warrantying them from Canada was way more complicated and expensive, so I’ll probably sell these at the end of the season and go back to the G3s.

Skin glue sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post

There’s no reasonable solution here. I get a full season of use out of my skins before they start leaving glue residue on my bases, and it rapidly gets worse from there. I’ve tried most variations of re-gluing, (strips, gold label, full-reapplications, patching, ironing) and none have produced stable glue even slightly comparable to factory applied. BSMP’s reglueing service looks like a viable option, but that with shipping, the US$ exchange, and that they won’t deal with G3 nylon skins and charge double for any other G3s, it’s way cheaper for me to buy new.

I went through a bunch of years when I’d sell (locally for cheap) my year-old skins, and buy new (pro-deal) every season, but then became convinced that regularly warrantying them might motivate the companies to improve their product. Lots more years sending my G3 skins back for replacement every summer, but if anything the glue (from a durability perspective) was getting worse, as they focused more on reducing its toxicity. Moved over to Pomocas last year, hoping for better, but still didn’t get a full season out of them. Warrantying them from Canada was way more complicated and expensive, so I’ll probably sell these at the end of the season and go back to the G3s.

Skin glue sucks.
    ...Sarcasm, since everyone was asking the same question over and over again

www.experiencedgear.net

...Sarcasm, since everyone was asking the same question over and over again
    so how do i deal with sticky g3 glue ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so how do i deal with sticky g3 glue ?

There’s no reasonable solution here. I get a fu.....

www.experiencedgear.net

Sounds like the next time i buy skins I will be setting aside a permanent spot for them in one of the several chest freezers I have.