Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sweaty face and foggy glasses

Does your face fog up multiple pairs of sunglasses / goggles when ya hike hard?

Do you just skip wearing sunglasses when touring because of this issue?

What’s the best idea for folks like me with HFS?

(Hot face syndrome)

Only thing I've found is sitting them as far down my nose as possible. Let me know if you find a solution.

ugh this is a pet peeve of mine too but as John B mentions, just setting them a little further off your face than seems comfy is all I've found that worked

It's nice when you have that perfect cross breeze to keep them cleared but otherwise this is the best solution I've found

I'm one of those people that likes to have everything just right when I'm touring, so it takes some patience to get used to it but the easiest way

some sunglasses are also better than others- less rounded around the face catches more breeze/ air

edit to add that I also frequently tour with a wrist sweat band to keep the eye area drier and that helps a bit too
    skid luxury

Speaking of pet peeves, I really hate when I get sweaty, and my sun screen drips in my eyes. I remember a skin last Spring where I spent some 40 minutes with my left eye closed.

A wrist sweat sounds like a good Spring accessory.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Those glasses work great for stout whitewater kayaking too, decreasing glare while diffusing the big hits nicely. All while never fogging.

Also, consider increasing bro tilt on normal glasses to increase upward ventilation. Bro.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I have an acute case of HFS...this is pretty obvious, but my best strategy is to wear fewer layers for the uphill (often no gloves and a mesh hat), be fast to open my leg vents, and always carry an extra pair of sunglasses. The no gloves and lightweight hat seem to make a major difference on overall sweat factor. You just gotta be quick to throw layers back on when starting to transition or my body temp will yo-yo.

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

For goggles fan goggles work. For sunglasses I don't have an answer. Especially for the mountains sunglasses need to protect the eyes from all directions to prevent sunburn and also cataracts later in life. Incompatible with good ventilation IME. When I do hit a patch of shade I take the glasses off; doesn't help when there is no shade. As far as the sweat and sunscreen in the eyes--I wear a hat with a good sweat band and don't put sunscreen above my eyes. I have to wear a hat anyways since I have less hair than I would like.

if your goggle fog on the uptrack

don't wear them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

certainly less layers helps, especially anything with a high collar that might mean your breath heads up instead of out.

i wear quite wrap-around-ey sunglasses, and I find that starting with them already hot, and keeping them hot, reduces the fogging quite a bit.
    its not perfect, but it helps heaps.

before i even get out of the car i put them in an inside chest pocket that gives them some time to warm up whilst getting my skins and gear ready.
    i skin the first 5-10 minutes without them. usually until that point where i need to take off the first layer. by this point they're toasty warm, and after that the heat from my body/face keeps them warm.
    because theyre so warm it defogs almost immediately even if you get a wayward up-breath causing them to fog up.

i also wear a boonie hat to keep the snow from landing on them, otherwise its all water droplets and you cant see anyway.

if i forget the warmup procedure i still use them, just have to put up with zero vision for a while until they warm up. but this way i often end up with one lens clear and one foggy. its always the right. i guess i have a cold shoulder.
    i suppose you could put them on top of your head until they warmed up too. haven't tried that.
    Last edited by anything; 11-26-2019 at 04:41 AM.

snipers

https://www.julbo.com/en_us/goggles/nordic/sniper-l

There are some other cheaper options, most are just a visor fixed to a head band type of thing. I sometimes will glue a thin layer of closed cell foam to the inside to move the visor out away from my face a bit.

The heat management is the other half, I am often down to my base layer on the skin up and look like I am a human smoke stack with vapor coming off. A light beanie, no gloves and vents every where are a must.

On the lift I am the guy doing the google pump to clear the lenses. The fan option will sometimes work but holey fook they are expensive and most eventually fail although my oldest pair are still going strong.
    watch out for snakes

Get large framed goggles (Oakley Canopy has been the best for me).
    For whatever reason I think the ‘frameless’ goggles tend to fog more often. Getting a larger frame with spherical lenses adds more air volume helping keep things at equilibrium.
    I run hot, and generally ski in a damp climate. I can fog a pair of sunglasses.
    I used to have a huge issue with goggles fogging. Smith I/O were the worst. I’d carry two pairs to get through a day of resort skiing. Switched to Oakley Canopy and haven’t looked back.

Julbo Aerospace, lets you open the goggle for airflow. I thought it was pretty stupid until I tried it and its great.
    But if I am skinning i take of my helmet and goggles (duh).

But really: just get fitter so you dont have to work so hard to keep up. :P

I don’t know how anyone tours in goggles unless it’s at a snails pace
    skid luxury

If you care about your eyes you need to protect them from the sun. Taking off your goggles or sunglasses on the up is a bad idea on a sunny day unless you are in the shade, and even then the reflected light off snow will cause long term damage (cataracts).

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you care about your eyes you need to protect them from the sun. Taking off your goggles or sunglasses on the up is a bad idea on a sunny day unless you are in the shade, and even then the reflected light off snow will cause long term damage (cataracts).
    i know. but sunglasses vs goggles
    skid luxury

my Julbo Treks and Julbo Aeros are the only sunglasses I've ever had that don't fog up on me when going up. the Julbo Aerospace goggle no dice for my sweaty face, also fuck hiking in goggles lol.

I've tried treating cheaper glasses w/SCUBA anti-fog shit, to no avail. but the Julbos work for me, so I wear one of those pairs all the time (Aero's are light enough to use in pitch black, the Treks have better anti-fog even after 4+ years but are darker so I usually wait for at least some daylight). ymmv of course.

I usually don’t have an issue with sunglasses fogging. My issue is my prescription glasses fogging under my goggles. For moto/sled riding I use the same helmet and the Velcro mounted goggles. This is a system where you have a Velcro pad on the left side of the helmet, and a swivel on the right side of the helmet. It’s super easy to take your goggles off when you are not moving to avoid fogging

As far as sunglasses go, try some variant of an Oakley blade. You need a pair of glasses with air flow around them

Name:  A6D2E810-69C5-4076-B050-29A8145AF593.jpeg
Views: 493
Size:  129.8 KB

I’ve switched from smith lowdown’s to POC ‘do half blades’ on the up track. Not perfect, but definitely an improvement. Googles on up = no bueno.

Stats show not dropping gogs in snow at transition reduces fogging by at least 60%.

New meme:
    Pm foggy goggles
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I tried that cat crap stuff, it never worked for me.
    watch out for snakes

I just take a pair of goggles for going down and wear sunglasses while going up.

I've tried all kinds of stuff on glasses for WW paddling in colder conditions

no product has ever kept them fog free

I do spit on the lenses, splash water on my face which works for awhile

but you can't do this ^^ with ski goggles or glasses
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-27-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Same problem. I tried a pretty large variety of regular sunglasses and sportsheilds and none did the job. sunnies and sportshields without a protruding rim/frame above the lens fared a bit better but still not good enough. Figured out three things that work.

1. Smith Prophesy fan goggles for downhilling. Have to remove them for uphilling though; sweat/heat overpowers the fan even for short uphillz.

2. Visor cap with custom attachment fore/aft movable sport shield lens. No nose bridge so there's a bit of airflow above skin in that spot. Lens suspended by attachment to visor brim. For really bright days, put painters tape on bottom and sides to extend the shading. Airflow from sides/under and the gap on top of the lens totally mitigates fogging. Move lens closer to face for downhilling, feather it out away from face and find the sweet spot for uphilling.

3. Some cheap 15 buck flip up lens 'cycling' sunnies from amazon work really good too. Add painters tape to bottom edge for more shading on bright days. The flip up function is awesome for when yer looking into a dark backpack on bright sunny days so you don't have to remove sunglasses. Also good for when yer doing indoor/outdoor work and going from bright to dark environments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	304101

Name:  13116530_654884967984177_5757214998024258024_o.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  98.9 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-29-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.