Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Which Wagon?

Which Wagon?

I'm all over the charts. Looking for a used wagon with less than 60K on the clock and in the $15K-$18K range. I commute over 100 miles for work so looking for a solid driver's car. What I've seen on the various car sites that intrigue me:
    VW Golf Sportwagen
    Volvo V60 (I currently own the very early 2012 S60 with the engine issue)
    Audi Allroad
    Caddy CTS-4 Wagon
    Audi A4 Avant

Audis scare me based on maintenance and electrical issues (myth or fact?)

A good friend has a Sportwagen and loves it but he's a VW phanboy. It's a little on the small side for my 2 70+ pound labs and all my crap.

I've had a Volvo in my driveway since 1989 but my experience with the S60 has me cautious. Plus, it's not much bigger than the VW

The Caddy is huge, eats gas, has AWD, and looks really badass. Plus it's huge and I like huge.

Not even a little bit interested in Subarus or anything SUV.

What am I missing? Anybody have experience with the Caddy? I saw a 2012 with ~19K on the odo for just over $18K. Interior is immaculate. Not overly concerned about latest tech as I can't multitask without crashing so simple is my thing.

Go.

Nothing to note about those specific models... But one thing I learned on TGR that has been very beneficial for myself buying used cars is to buy based on the service cycle.

I’d venture to guess that any of those vehicles is not the greatest buy at 60k. They likely have major service required at 75k or 90k that will cost over $1k (timing belt, water pump, etc...). Your likely at the tail end of a set of tires and brake pads as well. Also, as you get closer to that scary 100k the price drops significantly but you don’t really lose that much on quality or remaining life of the vehicle...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Nothing to note about those specific models... But one thing I learned on TGR that has been very beneficial for myself buying used cars is to buy based on the service cycle.

I’d venture to guess that any of those vehicles is not the greatest buy at 60k. They likely have major service required at 75k or 90k that will cost over $1k (timing belt, water pump, etc...). Your likely at the tail end of a set of tires and brake pads as well. Also, as you get closer to that scary 100k the price drops significantly but you don’t really lose that much on quality or remaining life of the vehicle...

That actually makes a ton of sense to buy right after the major service intervals and either make sure they've been done or get yourself a steep discount to get them done after purchase.

What about an Acura TSX wagon? I don't know anything about them though. There's also a BMW or Mercedes wagon of course...

Diesel VW Sportwagons are awesome cars. Underrated and under the radar.

The Cadillac CTS4 wagon has really mushy stock suspension and a lot of body roll, so maybe factor a full suspension upgrade into your costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

The Cadillac CTS4 wagon has really mushy stock suspension and a lot of body roll, so maybe factor a full suspension upgrade into your costs.
    I drive a 2011. 100 mile commute round trip. Its comfy and has all of the necessary commuting gadgets like cruise, bluetooth connectivity, heated seats and mirrors, etc . Cargo compartment seems bigger than my 08 Outback.

Warranty runs to 126k and they can be had for $10,000. Oil changes and fuel filters are not cheap. Major service is at 130k.

Make sure if you buy one to check the age of the tires as these things have been sitting in a storage lot for quite awhile now.

I average 42 mpg.

Wagon Stoke
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=293512

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Hmmm....timing belt water pump interval on my current car is 120,000mi. On the last Acura I had, it was 105,000. Totally get it with the tires and brakes though. It would have to be a killer deal on a unicorn car to go as high as 60,000 but I threw that out as my high end.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    What about an Acura TSX wagon? I don't know anything about them though. There's also a BMW or Mercedes wagon of course...
    Great car! I was going to edit to add it last night but fell asleep instead. They only made them for a limited time (2011-2016?) and there aren't many out there. I only saw 1 within 200 miles of Burlington, VT. I had a 2004 Acura TL and loved that car. Gave it to my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

We all want to be rally car drivers but the sad fact is, we're mostly commuters. And I'm almost 60 so a Caddy seems appropriate, no?

Sportwagens are pretty plentiful and affordable. Also saw an Audi A3 TDI for a pretty good price. I know they're small but because of Diesel-gate, they're really affordable. Any thoughts?

If you're going for a TDI, get a 2015. They are a more refined car than the mk.6 and come with a longer warranty that covers a ton of stuff.

The only major service is at 130k, the timing belt.

DSG services are every 40k miles, and they run about $400.

I love mine.
    Last edited by The Tortoise; 11-26-2019 at 06:03 AM.

As your friend, I have to tell you to get the new V90 in silver or black.

Yeah it costs more, but you’re worth it.

100 mile commute? The mice won?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Which Wagon?

I recently concluded a rather long and detailed search for a used AWD V60 wagon. I am happy with the car I bought - so far - but my search suggests you’re going to have to go high on mileage to stay in your price range. In general I found the used market demand for this car high with good cars/deals moving in a matter of days.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    100 mile commute? The mice won?
    Very likely my landlord is leaving BTV and selling the place.

Of course, if FD wants to offer me a room....

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I recently concluded a rather long and detailed search for a used AWD V60 wagon. I am happy with the car I bought - so far - but my search suggests you’re going to have to go high on mileage to stay in your price range. In general I found the used market demand for this car high with good cars/deals moving in a matter of days.
    I saw quite a few 2016 V60s with under 40K mi for around $18K if you're willing to travel to Boston or CT. Just a little spooked about the issues I'm dealing with on the S60. I know, totally different engine but this is the first (of many) Volvos that I didn't feel could easily make it to 300,000 miles.

Which Wagon?

If you can get an AWD V60 wagon you’re stoked about with under 40K for under $20K I suggest this is a great option. Not sure if it is big enough for your needs though.

I was being pretty particular and was trying to keep it around $25K so perhaps my sample size isn’t relevant. I ended up buying in MA due to slim inventory in VT and NH.
    Last edited by Doremite; 11-26-2019 at 06:44 AM.
    Uno mas

My VW experience is now a few generations old (I owned two different Mk 2s), but I wouldn't expect a used VW to be any less expensive to maintain than a used Audi, Merc, or BMW. If you can find a well-maintained BMW wagon in your pricerange, IMO that's the best driver's-car option, but they're few and far between and the "well-maintained" bit is a challenge to verify. With that said, I would hope that any modern rig in the 60-100k mile would still be needing relatively limited maintenance (i.e. primarily normal scheduled maintenance and wear items like tires/brakes) and thus relatively easy to estimate TCO.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    My VW experience is now a few generations old (I owned two different Mk 2s), but I wouldn't expect a used VW to be any less expensive to maintain than a used Audi, Merc, or BMW. TCO.
    This is probably some truth to that. But at the same time a base model Golf is a lot less complicated (i.e. less shit to break) than a Audi or BMW. And the Mk7 is generally regarded as pretty well built, just avoid the sunroof.

The TSX wagon will be more reliable, based on it being a Honda and not having a turbo.

My wife and I have a VW Alltrack (that replaced my previous Golf TDI) that we really like. She's put a lot of miles on it driving to the Canadian Rockies to go ice climbing and we've put a lot of miles on it together driving to the ski area. It's been very comfortable and the performance is totally satisfactory. We spent a week road tripping, sleeping in the car, and rock climbing and had barely enough room for all of our stuff and to sleep in the car when we needed to but we also had a box on the roof for that trip.

We just did the 40K service which included a service for the DSG and it came out to about $600. The only regret that we both have is that we didn't wait a year and get the 2018 with double the warranty and with an available manual transmission even in the highest trim level.

It's a pity you can't get Skoda's in the USA. Their Superb Estate 4x4 makes a great ski bus.

I have an 2018 sportwagen 4motion manual. Honestly, very stoked on it. I also just did the 40k service on it without any issues at this stage. 4motion plus snows make it a bomber car for winter driving, arguably as good as the Subaru WRX that I had previously. Averaging ~32mpg, spirited driving and with a box & snow tires. 2018-2019 of this year do come with 6 yr/72k warranty as do the alltracks I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    It's a pity you can't get Skoda's in the USA. Their Superb Estate 4x4 makes a great ski bus.

I want that
    skid luxury

It's the A4 avant.

I recently bought a Volvo S80, not a wagon, but they make it on one. The rear seats fold down, so it works for me. It's very comfortable, has all wheel drive, goes like hell, and was pretty inexpensive. I think the wagon model is a V70.

Oh yeah, it has the 3.0 turbo inline six.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    It's the A4 avant.
    Platform - yes, body and interior - not at all. That's the most spacious wagon on the market.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That is sweet.

Still unsure about what direction to go. Right now I'm thinking:
    Acura TSX
    VW Sportwagen TDI
    VW Sportwagen (gas)

Now have to sell the S60 and find its replacement.

Once again, the TGR community is a great sounding board. Thnx all!