Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Which Wagon?

If you're going for a gas VW get a 2016 or newer for Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

VW TDI - FTW!

Not everyone wants to, or are capable of wrenching on their own vehicle...

Changing the oil on a Sportwagen is easy. Same with a DSG flush. Buy a Fluid extractor at Harbor freight and replace the same quantity you pulled out. Filter trade on oil takes about 10 minutes, Trans, about 30.

Air and cabin filter take about 240 seconds apiece.

It's only expensive if you're not into doing it yourself and then you go to a stealership. I've heard as much as $900 for a 40K refresh. If you're clueless.

I'd be leary of 2 big dogs in there though, your interior is gonna take a beating, methinks.

The warranties alone on VW's make it a real contender if you worry about that stuff.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Changing the oil on a Sportwagen is easy..
    Unfortunately not the case for the Mk7 TDI. The filter is no longer accessible from the top, and you have to undo a wiring harness to get at it. For the extra $30 in labour it costs me, I am happy to have someone else do it.

We've had 2 Volvo V70's (my wife's) and 2 Audi A4 Avants. Had good luck with all of them. Was shopping for another used 2008 B6 Avant (last year of the 6 speed manual, and the low mileage cars were all over the country) when I had some free time and test drove the VW Alltrack S 6 speed. Liked it, handled 85 percent as well as my Audi with better ground (snow) clearance, needed a bit more power. When the saleman told me the price was $22,435 I signed up on the spot. (It's since gone up to $23,500). I did an APR Stage 1 upgrade and bought a set of Nokian Hakka R3's and am super happy 1.5 years in.

"Not even a little bit interested in Subarus or anything SUV."

But you should be. The wagon snobbery only gets you so far and into such small cars. With 2 70 lbs dogs I would have a 4runner so you can let them have some air and not have dog hair all over your sporty wagon that is too small on the inside.

Go test drive a Mazda. Euro feel and more reliable.

Pre conceived notions get you no where. Go drive some class leading cars before you make judgements.

That's good advice. Most wagons are barely wagons. The back seats are right at the wheel wells to maximize leg room, and the sloping rooflines aren't much, if any, better than crossovers.

My dogs are 55lbs each, and they don't fit comfortably in the back of my friend's dieselgate wagon (without folding the seats down).

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    "Not even a little bit interested in Subarus or anything SUV."

But you should be. The wagon snobbery only gets you so far and into such small cars. With 2 70 lbs dogs I would have a 4runner so you can let them have some air and not have dog hair all over your sporty wagon that is too small on the inside.

Go test drive a Mazda. Euro feel and more reliable.

Pre conceived notions get you no where. Go drive some class leading cars before you make judgements.
    Rented loaded Outback recently. Biggest POS I’ve ever rented. Soooo, not pre-conceived. Also, I’m not a lesbian. NTTAWWT.

How’s the gas mileage on a 4-Runner? Not good for 100-mile each way commuting. I had a 1st Gen 4Runner. Loved it but definitely not what I need. Also, not seeing a lot of 4Runners that meet my price/mileage parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So I shouldn't recommend a Lexus RX 450h F sport?

What is wrong with being a lesbian?

4runner still gets 18mpg just like it did 20 years ago.

Yeah you are looking at euro cars that depreciate quicker than Trump turns on his henchmen. Have you looked at a Honda Odyssey?

You clearly didn’t read the OP. I’m looking at used cars so I don’t have to eat the depreciation.

I’m not a trustafarian so no, you shouldn’t recommend a Lexus.

I thought I was an internet idiot but you’ve got me beat. Do you not know what NTTAWWT means?

Jeezus.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Rented loaded Outback recently. Biggest POS I’ve ever rented. Soooo, not pre-conceived. Also, I’m not a lesbian. NTTAWWT.

How’s the gas mileage on a 4-Runner? Not good for 100-mile each way commuting. I had a 1st Gen 4Runner. Loved it but definitely not what I need. Also, not seeing a lot of 4Runners that meet my price/mileage parameters.

Was your rented Outback the 3.6r? Didn't think so. I agree the 4-cyl is a complete, underpowered, dog. But the 6 is an entirely different animal (no idea how the 2020's, where the upgraded engine is a turbo 2.0 4, not a 6, compare).

3.6 Outback is waaay more car for the money than anything you've mentioned. Worth a test drive for sure.

Sportwagen gets a lot of love, but it is tiny, and even the alltack has bs clearance (same for audi cross-country wagons). Acura wagon might be a contender (I always liked the look), but...AWD? Clearance? Not.

If $$$ is no object, most fucking definitely go for the Audi RS6 Avant - totally stock-looking A6 wagon (ok, not 100%, but certainly not douched up), but shockingly fast - totally my cup of tea (but lacking in clearance). But alas...if you're looking used, you probably don't have ~$100,000 to shed.

Volvo V90 Cross Country (**NOT** to be confused with the XC90) is probably the best looking wagon out there right now. But again: it's a fucking bullshit-reliability-volvo, and...clearance, and...for the money (V90 is fucking spendy)...just get the RS6.

P.S. Yeah, I'm a wagon guy

I think you should go to the Saab dealer and check out their wagons.

Rented loaded Outback recently. Biggest POS I’ve ever rented.
    well, you sound like a dentist.

I wanted to be a dentist but I’m too dumb.

Outback with under 10K miles just died and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere SC.

Outback with under 10K miles just died and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere SC.
    Damn, that sucks, but for the most part, Subarus are pretty reliable for the price. I'm not sure where the OP is commuting, but for the mountains the Subarus definitely fill a niche that many others can't. These Volvos and Audis are just too dainty, expensive, low clearance, and low tire clearance. Plus the mileage will make the value drop like a rock, especially when the warranty runs out.

I've been driving an Audi Q5 for the last week and although it drives great, and has a lot of nice amenities, I could never own one. Too small, not enough storage options, too complicated electronics and computer. (I know this ain't the wagon you are looking at, but still, I'm a hard no).

I learned to drive on Volvos, and will never own one of those POSs again. My dad's e-brake failed at the top of our driveway and rolled into our dining room. So yeah, I'm biased. (My MIL has owned a few Volvos and loves em though).

My wife has been commuting in her Subaru with the 3.6R for many years over multiple mountain passes and her Subaru has been great for that. If that were the case for you, I'd never buy a sport wagon for that application. Yeah, the Suby isn't as sporty, but it can haul ass when it needs to. It has needed repairs, like most 80k+ cars will, but most weren't that expensive. For the amount of driving she does though, it has been minimal.

But this argument is form vs function and I'm siding with function. You want a nice ride since you are spending a lot of time in the car? I get that.

When you hear the banjo, run!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Hey have you considered Subaru?

He’s a wagon guy dammit!

Yeah, for the record I've had 3 subarus, and I'll never own another. Toyota and Honda are beginning to offer decent awd alternatives. If you didn't need the space, I'd say get the Prius awd and don't look back. Have you driven the new Rav4? It's up there on my list for when the next catastrophic failure hits our subie.

My wife is on her 2nd Venza. Good cars but I don’t like driving them. Never thought Toyotas were anywhere close to Hondas in quality, features, fit/finish, or driving dynamics.

Again, I’m looking to buy a car that has already depreciated so not looking at new.

I’ve owned 4 Volvo’s since 1989 but definitely scared off by the engine issues widely reported for the 2012 5-cylinders. I put over 300,000 miles on a 1990 740 sedan.

I live inVermont so if it’s deep enough to worry about ground clearance, I’m skipping work and walking to the lifts at Magic. I’ve never owned a 4WD/AWD in snow country. Snow tire and FWD gets me where I need to go. It’s a nice add but not a requirement for me.

My wife is on her 2nd Venza. Good cars but I don’t like driving them. Never thought Toyotas were anywhere close to Hondas in quality, features, fit/finish, or driving dynamics.

Again, I’m looking to buy a car that has already depreciated so not looking at new.

I’ve owned 4 Volvo’s since 1989 but definitely scared off by the engine issues widely reported for the 2012 5-cylinders. I put over 300,000 miles on a 1990 740 sedan.

I live inVermont so if it’s deep enough to worry about ground clearance, I’m skipping work and walking to the lifts at Magic. I’ve never owned a 4WD/AWD in snow country. Snow tire and FWD gets me where I need to go. It’s a nice add but not a requirement for me.

Definitely test-drive a '15 GSW tdi. I regret selling ours back. Great car.

Alright. Flame suit on.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0457/overview/

I've owed two of these cars and they are roomy, economical, well built and comfortable. Yahtzee!

The longer the commute the more a TDi makes sense.

The emissions warranty for 11 yrs and 162k miles helps too. It covers the turbo, fuel system, emissions components and any check engine light that comes up.

Agreed, TourX or maybe a MB e series wagon if clearance isn’t chief and you can’t stomach an Outback. The Tourx has same cargo space as an Outback but way better performance. Outback/V90/ESeries/A6 have the space you need for the dogs. MB seems a better used choice than BMW/Audi for long term maint.

We love our Alltrack, but the space isn’t sufficient (Allroad is smaller, A3 [???] even smaller).