Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 148

Thread: Which Wagon?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    In my 6 spd manual alltrack I sometimes get 36 mpg avg over a 400 mile stretch of hiway I drive regularly. Itís got a taller gear than the DSG.
    Definitely possible. My numbers are with a 21 CF box.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    3,533
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    In my 6 spd manual alltrack I sometimes get 36 mpg avg over a 400 mile stretch of hiway I drive regularly. Itís got a taller gear than the DSG.
    Last I checked on my 227 mile drive to my son's house, I got 34.8 mpg with the six speed driving @ 80 or so. It got better after I had the car chipped (pulls in sixth gear better).

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    2.3 years in with my Alltrack S, car is paid off, and I'm still loving it. If you want a manual transmission in a small wagon, better get it while they still have some in stock. Every chance I get I tell the VW guys they should consider a limited edition Alltrack GT, with the GTI 2.0 liter, 6MT and better seats, for the TGR crowd.
    This is truly lamentable, there's no good reason why they don't. Conversely they don't offer 4 motion on the GTI or the Golf R ala the old R32. Those are too small anyway but still. To me AWD just drives so much better than FWD. I know you can do fine in the snow with FWD but no question AWD is big advantage and way more fun. The american car market blows.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    8,191
    Golf R is still available at dealers w/ manual and AWD. Not sure about the next platform.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    911
    So my Gen 3 Outback XT just shat the bed. Transmission is done. Found a buyer willing to buy the shell and figure it out, but now I gotta decide what to do. It seems like there's good financing and deals to be had on something new. Leaning towards an Alltrack, or if I can stretch the budget a V60 CC. I'm looking for something with good resale in 3-4 years if I decide I want to go a different route. I would go for another Subie, but there's just no fun in that! Obviously the Subie will have the best resale value.

    What say the collective?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,738
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    So my Gen 3 Outback XT just shat the bed. Transmission is done. Found a buyer willing to buy the shell and figure it out, but now I gotta decide what to do. It seems like there's good financing and deals to be had on something new. Leaning towards an Alltrack, or if I can stretch the budget a V60 CC. I'm looking for something with good resale in 3-4 years if I decide I want to go a different route. I would go for another Subie, but there's just no fun in that! Obviously the Subie will have the best resale value.

    What say the collective?
    The Volvo and Alltrack donít have best depreciation but I think S model Alltrack will be better off due to much lower cost. With 0% and 6 year and incentives itís hard to see how you lose on VW. Not sure on higher trims but my S seems to be holding value for 2-3 year old models. Volvo seats are better for sure but cost is like 2X.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    The Volvo and Alltrack donít have best depreciation but I think S model Alltrack will be better off due to much lower cost. With 0% and 6 year and incentives itís hard to see how you lose on VW. Not sure on higher trims but my S seems to be holding value for 2-3 year old models. Volvo seats are better for sure but cost is like 2X.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah it looks like I can pick them up for close to $5k off MSRP. No one wants to buy a 2019 model I guess...

    Iíd really love to get the driver assistance package, so Iím trying to see if itís worth the premium at all. The S looks like $23k + TTL vs. SE/SEL at $29k + TTL.

    If you donít mind me asking, how much did you pay?

    I saw on some forums people talking about 18k OTD . Is that even possible?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,738

    Which Wagon?

    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah it looks like I can pick them up for close to $5k off MSRP. No one wants to buy a 2019 model I guess...

    Iíd really love to get the driver assistance package, so Iím trying to see if itís worth the premium at all. The S looks like $23k + TTL vs. SE/SEL at $29k + TTL.

    If you donít mind me asking, how much did you pay?

    I saw on some forums people talking about 18k OTD . Is that even possible?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So be aware sunroofs leak a lot. I went with S to avoid. I have lane awareness on side and distance pops up but have not used cruise and would use to Jackson and such type trips That is enough for me.

    S can be had with DAP if it was built that way. Just have to search dealers. I paid 22.3K and it was a good price. I have seen manual S for 24k but I think itís search dealers and negotiate. A lot did get sold when VW put 0% and deferred first payments plan in place.

    My window sticker meets my needs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	677.5 KB 
ID:	333101


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by whyturn; 06-30-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    938
    We paid $27-28k before TTR for our SE in late 2018. Ours came with the DAP which is fine, but not that crucial for how/where we drive.

    Iíd say if youíre not looking to keep the car long term (we were/are), stick with the S and get the APR Plus to add some zip. The sunroof issue was annoying but it seems resolved for us and we love the sunroof fwiw


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    We paid $27-28k before TTR for our SE in late 2018. Ours came with the DAP which is fine, but not that crucial for how/where we drive.

    I’d say if you’re not looking to keep the car long term (we were/are), stick with the S and get the APR Plus to add some zip. The sunroof issue was annoying but it seems resolved for us and we love the sunroof fwiw


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'm considering keeping it long term, but I just have no idea right now. So I want something that has reasonable resale in 3 years if I decide to go that route. I was looking at the APR Plus or JB4 modes. I bet it drives great with 210hp.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,738
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I'm considering keeping it long term, but I just have no idea right now. So I want something that has reasonable resale in 3 years if I decide to go that route. I was looking at the APR Plus or JB4 modes. I bet it drives great with 210hp.
    I am impressed with stock after proper break in. With 6 year warranty I am keeping stock. But I also have 330 HP forester


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I am impressed with stock after proper break in. With 6 year warranty I am keeping stock. But I also have 330 HP forester


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Howís the passing speed on the highway? 0-30 looks pretty good though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,738
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Howís the passing speed on the highway? 0-30 looks pretty good though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The forester drawback is 5 speed but it pulls to 100+

    The alltrack pulls from 2-3k really nice and 6 speed is at 2k at 70 and 2500 at 80-85. It just eats freeway and Iím averaging 27.

    In freeway can always drop into fifth to pass.

    For a little 1.8 itís got pep. It weighs same as forester at under 3400 lbs.

    The old manual V70R was sick. Should have kept that car for sure.

    I am happy with alltrack and it pulls good especially in the mountain passes DO IT.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    The forester drawback is 5 speed but it pulls to 100+

    The alltrack pulls from 2-3k really nice and 6 speed is at 2k at 70 and 2500 at 80-85. It just eats freeway and Iím averaging 27.

    In freeway can always drop into fifth to pass.

    For a little 1.8 itís got pep. It weighs same as forester at under 3400 lbs.

    The old manual V70R was sick. Should have kept that car for sure.

    I am happy with alltrack and it pulls good especially in the mountain passes DO IT.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah the Alltrack is on my high list. I just wish it was slightly bigger in the rear and truck.

    I felt the gen 3 Outback was the perfect size and I had the XT model with 250hp. It was a little loud inside though.

    I would love to look at the Volvo V60/V90 CC but itís outside my price range. I also donít want to beat up on a luxury car. An Alltrack feels like a happy medium. Now I just have to drive one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah the Alltrack is on my high list. I just wish it was slightly bigger in the rear and truck.

    I felt the gen 3 Outback was the perfect size and I had the XT model with 250hp. It was a little loud inside though.

    I would love to look at the Volvo V60/V90 CC but itís outside my price range. I also donít want to beat up on a luxury car. An Alltrack feels like a happy medium. Now I just have to drive one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe Tiguan? I loved an idea of Alltrack, but needed something more spacious as family car. With third row which is useable for kids under 10 it's perfect compact crossover. The seated position and overall handling is on par with wagons rather than small SUV

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,601
    Bought a '17 A4 Allroad today. Was perusing craigslist for a minivan for the wife (per the other big-ish suv thread) and came across the allroad for a decent price. Still looking for the minivan, but this at least is both reasonably entertaining to drive and useful for moving moderate amounts of people / gear.

    Had to drive 4 hours to get it, so got acquainted with it on the way home. It's pretty fucking sweet. Kind of alarmingly quiet at speed - a couple times I found myself going 30 over the speed limit because I wasn't really paying attention and it sure didn't feel like I was approaching 100mph.

    The electronic gadgetry is nice, and I really like how it's laid out. 20 minutes of fiddling with it and it already feels logical and easy to navigate.

    It gets better mileage than I was expecting. Was getting around 30mpg going 85 through hills.

    Having test driven an assortment of mid size to large suv's recently, the allroad drives better by an order of magnitude. Sooo much more pleasant on windy roads. A good bit better even compared to the cx-5, which I thought drove really well by suv standards.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    8,191
    Dude. OK
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah the Alltrack is on my high list. I just wish it was slightly bigger in the rear and truck.

    I felt the gen 3 Outback was the perfect size and I had the XT model with 250hp. It was a little loud inside though.

    I would love to look at the Volvo V60/V90 CC but itís outside my price range. I also donít want to beat up on a luxury car. An Alltrack feels like a happy medium. Now I just have to drive one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was exactly our line of thinking, despite wanting a Volvo or Audi we werenít willing to pay and knew it wasnít realistic. But we wanted better performance and overall feel compared to newer Outbacks, with something closer to the Gen 3 size. Alltrack ticked all the boxes, besides off-road capability, and had the right price.

    My brother recently bought a Ď19 2-row Tiguan SEL and we borrowed it for a couple weeks. Biggest thing we noticed was way more space in the second row. Drives ok but underpowered and feels soft and a bit bloated like new Outbacks. The value for the price is good and would be a much better family vehicle than the Alltrack, but weíre making it work alright.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    That was exactly our line of thinking, despite wanting a Volvo or Audi we werenít willing to pay and knew it wasnít realistic. But we wanted better performance and overall feel compared to newer Outbacks, with something closer to the Gen 3 size. Alltrack ticked all the boxes, besides off-road capability, and had the right price.

    My brother recently bought a Ď19 2-row Tiguan SEL and we borrowed it for a couple weeks. Biggest thing we noticed was way more space in the second row. Drives ok but underpowered and feels soft and a bit bloated like new Outbacks. The value for the price is good and would be a much better family vehicle than the Alltrack, but weíre making it work alright.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The thing that rules out crossovers for me (aside from that everyone has one) is I need a roof box for anything other than a large SUV and with the box, I canít fit in the parking garage at my apartment.

    I sorta looked into a Honda Ridgeline because it ticks a lot of boxes I want - itís basically a Pilot with the back chopped off, but theyíre pricey too and ugly as hell. Theyíre probably not nearly as fun to drive as an Alltrack.

    The thing I came to realize with off-road performance is 99% of the time ďoff-roadĒ is a few miles to a trailhead on graded gravel. Thereís no point in quibbling over that tiny % of time I really need something with high ground clearance. It sucks to say but itís the truth


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    8,191
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    The thing I came to realize with off-road performance is 99% of the time ďoff-roadĒ is a few miles to a trailhead on graded gravel. Thereís no point in quibbling over that tiny % of time I really need something with high ground clearance. It sucks to say but itís the truth
    It doesnít suck to say it. Enjoy driving a car/wagon. Enjoy passing all those stupid crossovers on the way to the trailhead.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,346
    The hill decent on the Alltrack works awesome. Took it gingerly up the rough gravel road to a trailhead in Montana and it did fine. Way better downhill than up though with the manual. Also the big thick fiberglass skid plate thing up front is pretty bomber.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,738
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    The hill decent on the Alltrack works awesome. Took it gingerly up the rough gravel road to a trailhead in Montana and it did fine. Way better downhill than up though with the manual. Also the big thick fiberglass skid plate thing up front is pretty bomber.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Heads up went to roll backward with hill descent. Read let go of clutch and roll. It fought me by excessive braking. Sounds like a safety feature. I put in reverse and it was fine. Yes Iíve had manual trans for years, but I donít read manuals.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    The thing that rules out crossovers for me (aside from that everyone has one) is I need a roof box for anything other than a large SUV and with the box, I canít fit in the parking garage at my apartment.

    I sorta looked into a Honda Ridgeline because it ticks a lot of boxes I want - itís basically a Pilot with the back chopped off, but theyíre pricey too and ugly as hell. Theyíre probably not nearly as fun to drive as an Alltrack.

    The thing I came to realize with off-road performance is 99% of the time ďoff-roadĒ is a few miles to a trailhead on graded gravel. Thereís no point in quibbling over that tiny % of time I really need something with high ground clearance. It sucks to say but itís the truth


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    100% on the off road reality; itís a minor thing for most as it all shakes out.

    My distinction with the Alltrack is that I feel the need to be much more careful on basic FS/double-track roads in comparison to the three Subaru wagons Iíve had previously. The VWís ground clearance is obviously less, but the low nose is a bitch for dips. That said, itís pretty rare that Iím dealing with that and trade off for the much better drive feel


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    8,191
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    100% on the off road reality; itís a minor thing for most as it all shakes out.

    My distinction with the Alltrack is that I feel the need to be much more careful on basic FS/double-track roads in comparison to the three Subaru wagons Iíve had previously. The VWís ground clearance is obviously less, but the low nose is a bitch for dips. That said, itís pretty rare that Iím dealing with that and trade off for the much better drive feel
    Exactly. Thereís some nasty washed out sections I drive on to hit a trailhead, and I actually slow down, line it up, etc. I donít wish I had ďclearanceĒ.
    Iím actually hoping some of you people drive fast cars so I can have some more fun driving. Itís so easy to pass you all right now.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah it looks like I can pick them up for close to $5k off MSRP. No one wants to buy a 2019 model I guess...

    Iíd really love to get the driver assistance package, so Iím trying to see if itís worth the premium at all. The S looks like $23k + TTL vs. SE/SEL at $29k + TTL.

    If you donít mind me asking, how much did you pay?

    I saw on some forums people talking about 18k OTD . Is that even possible?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I shopped quite a bit last month and the best I found was $8,100 off MSRP from:

    https://www.tynansvolkswagen.com/new...malBodyStyle-1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •