Salomon MTN Lab Liner

Quick question – and sorry if I missed it in the specs or comments – is the liner thermo-moldable?

Yes. But it's a very thin liner, so there's not going to be a huge difference between molding it and not.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Same instructions as for Intuition liners? Same temperature and same heating time?

Quote Originally Posted by NikOtiN View Post
    Same instructions as for Intuition liners? Same temperature and same heating time?
    Don't remember. You can always use the bag of microwaved rice in a sock method. As that will never overheat the liners.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Does Salomon use the same shitty liner foam as they used to?
    IMHO, a lot of boot companies are way too proud of their liners and should just use Intuition wraps.
    (I'm aware it also has to do with out of the box fit and random retail dude not doing Intuitions correctly)
    Also, if yes, you don't wanna put them in the oven, you use warm air.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Does Salomon use the same shitty liner foam as they used to?
    IMHO, a lot of boot companies are way too proud of their liners and should just use Intuition wraps.
    Although I agree, I think the average customer doesnt feel the liner difference as much as the price difference it will entail. Which is why no boot company does it.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Although I agree, I think the average customer doesnt feel the liner difference as much as the price difference it will entail. Which is why no boot company does it.
    You're right for joey 6 pack who wants to cruise a little with the fam and be at the bar by 1, but they don't buy $700 MAP boots.
    No longer stuck.

Do you buy boots for 700$?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Really?

Scarpa and Dalbello both provide Intuition liners in their higher end boots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Really?
    Scarpa and Dalbello both provide Intuition liners in their higher end boots.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    True, I probably should've said 'why very few boot companies do this'.
    Still I think the amount of people that are willing to spend additional money on a boot for a better liner is very small. Most of them are probably on this forum, which leads to a slightly biassed view. From a business perspective, I get why most companies save cost there. Although I would be interested to know what the difference in production cost is between producing your own (crappy) liner vs buying intuitions in bulk.
    Hell, the majority of people is in boots that are too big anyway. A better liner is little more than a bandaid in that case.

Full tilt ascendant comes with a tour wrap for 550$ minus 30% spring sale is a 400$ boot with a good liner.
    Don't know anything about the shell if its anygood.
    The mtnlab liner is no good. The only thing you can do is replacing it. Baking it doesnt change it imho.

Salomon should and could as they own sidas.

How well any liner molds depends on how much closed cell EVA is in it, and where the EVA is located. There are many levels of OEM Intuition liner options, with most of the production boots getting a layer of soft "non-moldable carpet foam" next to the foot to convince people to buy the boot (100% EVA Intuition liners are not especially comfortable for most people without molding, but most people trying on a new boot don't take that into account). A few Scarpa and Dalbello models have come with 100% EVA Intuitions over the years, but not all.

The MTN Lab/S/Lab MTN liners have some moldable foam around the midfoot and ankle, but not a huge amount, and I don't think you get much change after molding in the toebox or length at all.

It's hardly moldable and will mold as much as it will ever by skiing in it for 3 days. Unfortunately, all the heat molding in the world won't make that cavernous ankle room hug your foot nor the stupid narrow toe box feel any looser. I recommend buying other boots.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Do you buy boots for 700$?
    Of course not, lol.
    But the Minimum Advertised Price at the beginning of the year that they came out was probably around that for my Lupo SP's which came with a Power Wrap and were actually made in Italy.
    No longer stuck.

Interesting that a lot of you have so much to say without having a clue!
    If you obviously don't know, why answer?
    I molded mine to a Procline carbon and wow did that liner get a different volume and fit, even the toe box. It sucked in the MTN Lab though.
    I think it's the same as with intuition liners, when you learn how much to heat them up it's moldable. If you don't heat it enough that not much will happen.
    That said, it's not a great liner but could work in other lighter boots if you hike a lot =)

So Salomon liners got better in the last few years?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by LawndartGustav View Post
    Interesting that a lot of you have so much to say without having a clue!
    If you obviously don't know, why answer?
    I molded mine to a Procline carbon and wow did that liner get a different volume and fit, even the toe box. It sucked in the MTN Lab though.
    I think it's the same as with intuition liners, when you learn how much to heat them up it's moldable. If you don't heat it enough that not much will happen.
    That said, it's not a great liner but could work in other lighter boots if you hike a lot =)
    Thats way cody is riding intuitions in his mtnlabs?

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Thats way cody is riding intuitions in his mtnlabs?
    Because it isn't good enough for a boot as stiff as the MTN Lab, probably! My shins couldn't ski the MTN Lab with the original liner at all. I've probably tried every mod possible to make it work but no. Had problems with intuitions in that boot as well. I'm in the Zero G tour pro now and no problems with my shins at all First time ever actually!